Flex alert - air conditioners

The best I could find last year during the retail store search was a timer that would either turn it on in X or turn it off in X. I don’t see much on Amazon, either.

Same. I’m gonna start bringing a sweater to work.

Have you tried fans? I’m in San Diego and despite how hot and humid it has been here this summer, I can easily get by with just two high-velocity fans, one to circulate air around the room and one to push hot air out of the room through a window… this works even in my large living room/home office space as well as in my smaller but still pretty large bedroom. If I keep the fans at the highest setting it actually feels too cold to me and I grew up in the northeast, so I’m no stranger to cold.

Obviously this suggestion only applies to people who live in places like SF, not places like Death Valley or Arizona, where it gets Really Hot.

http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-Heavy-Duty-Programmable-Appliance-DT27C/dp/B000E8XGA4

Just fourteen bucks!

I’ll borrow a phrase from our colonial cousins: you whinging pom. ;)

I’m Scottish, hard as nails, and have our AC set to a cool and refreshing 78.

I set my temp to 78 during the day, 77 if I’m REALLY hot.

Anything lower than that is just pathetic. Wusses.

I have zero tolerance for heat, but even I can wait until the temperature hits 90 before firing up the AC.

I shoot for a nice, comfortable 60-65 degrees, when possible. Unfortunately, I live in Florida, which means that the coldest it ever actually gets down to is 70. I know I’m some kind of genetic anomaly, though - when most people are shivering and putting on extra layers, I’m feeling too hot in a t-shirt and jeans.

Are you guys all penguins? My wife has the AC set at 78 and I freeze my ass off.

…aaand it’d only take, what, 5 years to pay for itself? The A/Cs already don’t run when it’s below 68, so it’d chop out maybe an hour or two a day. It’s aobut 25 cents of circuitry, and it’d cost that much if actually included in the air conditioner. However, as a seperate item they charge more to nail the energy-price sensitive.

I work in an upstairs home office where, despite the best efforts of my house’s central A/C, supplemented by a window A/C just for this room, it is usually above 80 when it’s hot outside and sometimes above 84.

I wear a t-shirt and shorts regularly, and when it’s particularly hot, I take off my socks and drink ice water and/or cold soda.

I think they are. Even my wife thinks 77 is too cold, though we both spent a lot of time in desert states so our heat tolerance is pretty high. Yesterday we had painters working in the house, so all the windows were open and the AC off. When I finally felt too hot to be comfortable the thermostat said it was 88 degrees, but that’s downstairs from my office, so it was at least 90 upstairs.

My shit is set to 70 and it still hot.

What would happen to Whitta if he moved to Texas?

Areas with a mean temperature of more than 64°F are unfit for human residence.

People who don’t live in equatorial jungles amuse me with their whining about heat.

Back home, the mean temperature is 90-100 F, with highs in the 120s.

78 is perfectly acceptable for human residence.

It’s all about a) what you’re used to and b) what you have to wear.

I like it around 70 degrees. I typically have to wear pants and a shirt, though. With a T-shirt and shorts, my “comfortable” zone goes up to about 75. That said, during the winter, I’m happy with temps around 60 degrees.

When I lived in Southern California, it was a rare day when it was below 80 degrees (either at school or in my apartment). I was fine with it, because I’d acclimated. It takes time, but it’s not the end of the world.

Equis is right, though, that standards vary widely. I do a lot of work in the US Virgin Islands, and it’s 80 degrees down there on a cool day during the winter. During the summer it’s hotter than a snake’s ass in a wagon rut and humid to boot. People manage; it’s all about acclimating.

I live in a place where those are the temperatures, and you know what? I fully agree with Chris.

I’m definitely a penguin.