Flood of new topics in Front Page category?

https://forum.quartertothree.com/t/whats-the-best-zombie-game-of-all-time-quarter-to-three/124916

Speaks for itself, something going wrong there. Manages to point to a different URL on the front end as well.

Thanks! Muting it has made Qt3 sane again.

Man, Tom’s headlines are consistently so good. Looking at them all stacked up like that really drives home how great they are.

I pity anyone making a new thread. They’ll get lost amongst the 120 ‘new’ front-page topics that have arrive in the last few hours, probably to be ‘dismissed all’ by most people.

As already suggested above, on desktop, go into the Front Page category and mute it. Et voila, no more flood.

Its not a problem for me, I just imagine the majority of people don’t do that, which means they’ll lose these threads in the noise.

Sorry, it was unclear how many front page blog articles there were with zero Disqus comments. As we know now, the answer is “a lot”.

Edit: the category was muted for everyone.

Good idea! Now I hope someone reminds us when things have returned to normal. I’d like to see the new front page topics after the import is over.

We went ahead and muted the Front page category for everybody. We’ll un-mute it in a couple weeks even if you manually muted it, assuming that you want to see new frontpage posts but not be spammed by ancient ones.

If you really don’t want to see frontpage posts at all, you will need to manually re-mute again.

NOICE!

Haha, if you try to make a post that just says “NOICE!”, then you get an error message that asks you to be more descriptive.

I actually kinda wish the “nag” messages differentiated between “post with too few characters” and “post with all caps.” I have to imagine that could be confusing for newbs! :)

I didn’t even realize it was about the caps, but of course you’re right.

Yeah, if you post in all caps Discourse tells you your body’s invalid.

The front page posts really make me miss so much of this content that’s referencing content on Fidgit. I know I can probably find it by searching the internet wayback machine or something, but I’m too lazy most of the time.

Right now I wasn’t lazy, so I’ll add the link to the review in that topic’s thread. Let’s see how this works out.

It would be possible to replace those links with wayback machine links, probably.

I had some good luck doing that today for most places. (I posted the first comment as a link to the wayback machine version of the same article). I couldn’t figure out how to get wayback machine to get at old gameshark reviews though.

Quoted blocks are literally unreadable on the actual front page version of a thread. White text on white background. Probably could use fixing.

Yes! @wumpus are you aware of that?

There’s an example here:

Sure, we’ll get that touched up soon. It’s in Admin, Customize, HTML/CSS for embedding.

It looks like the front page topic flood is officially over, by the way – haven’t seen a new one for a day now?

Nor have I. I can take a look at the CSS this evening. For some reason, I figured it was in Wordpress and not in Discourse.