Florida in July/August, what not to miss?

Slight thread tangent - my girlfriend and I are going to do a break from winter in a few weeks down in Orlando. (Originally I’d thought about going out west, maybe drop by Tom and xtien’s place for some gaming! But flights from there to West Michigan are terrible, while Orlando is non-stop.) We’ll just be there a few days, staying in the Sand Lake area.

My thoughts were:

1. A day at Seaworld - we both like the fishies and a roller-coaster or two.
  2. A day trip out to Canaveral, to see the space center and perhaps drop by a beach. That Playalinda mentioned above sounds interesting.
  3. Some misc Orlando touring. The Harry P. Leu Gardens look interesting, as we like the Meijer Gardens here in GR. And I’d love to find a good brewpub to try.

I’d welcome any input from folks more knowledgeable about the area than I!

Just got back yesterday from Central Florida, had a good long weekend trip. Here’s my blog writeup, for anyone interested.

Hey looks like I’m going to be going to Florida in August sometime too, jinx!

Bit of a late reaction, but thanks for the link to the blog: very useful! We are most likely also going to Epcot as our second park (Universal is already decided, my oldest daughter really wants to see the Harry Potter stuff), so it’s nice to read about it! And Space Kennedy is also definitely on, I do not want to miss that!

The rest of our trip in July/August is also taking shape now: the middle week will be spent cruising to Sint Maarten, Puerto Rico and the Bahamas, and we just booked a resort on one of the Keys for the last three days of our stay. Which leaves us with about 3,5 days to visit the Everglades and some other stuff we don’t know yet. Any suggestions for the remaining days? Should we go to Naples and the Mexican Gulf? Or are other destinations (within 2/3 hours driving of Miami) more advisable?

I’m not much of a Harry Potter fan but that was one of my highlights of the trip. Lots of really clever, creative, surprising and awesome touches. Be sure to go on the Hogwarts Express and the Forbidden Journey ride!

Will do, thanks for the advice!