Fly the not-so-friendly skies

THE GUY CHOSE TO SIT ON THE SEAT AND COMPLETE HIS FLIGHT.

But yeah, time to cool off from this thread… I’ll take a break.

I find this interesting because what you took away from my comment was that I was frustrated by a flight delay. That was…not it. Lots of companies do Bad Shit. When they do Bad Shit, what we should do is not defend them.

But did Delta actually do Bad Shit?

A judge in the court of law will look for malicious intent vs accident. The former is when it’s worth getting this angry. The latter is when it’s time to do your best and move on in life. To me this story is the latter.

The judges on this topic are assigning malicious intent when there was none. In this case the stewardess had no intention to ‘be evil’ and ‘force someone to swim in sick dog shit’. Delta doesn’t have a ‘evil corporate culture so bad they force customers to eat dog shit in the name of profits’. They seem a decent company to work for in fact. https://ca.indeed.com/cmp/Delta/reviews

Look, I get that I’m coming across as a dog-shit feeding corporate shill. But I just keep pointing out – he took the flight, and sat on a blanket. We don’t know how bad it was, but it doesn’t seem to me to be that bad. Where’s the outrage from the rest of the passengers? Where’s the other negative consequences other than the upset passenger and poor publicity? Was anyone actually harmed?

It’s an interesting story to debate because there’s lots of angles to consider. Shit is gross! How could they, and how can you defend it! Vs It doesn’t sound like it was that bad overall, it was probably sensationalized, and the airline still got everyone home safely and on time including him.

It’s not fair to say that Delta’s behavior is indefensible, because it’s not. They’re not covering up sexual abuse, or intentionally harming anyone. THAT is my personal threshold for getting angry. Sadly in the days of Trump it seems that threshold does get crossed. Intent is important. The intent here seems to be the passenger’s intent, to get rewarded, not the airline’s intent or even their staff’s intent to do anything other than get grumpy crammed passengers and staff to their destination.

The flight attendant could have been nicer.

I’m off topic until the next incident airline incident requiring someone to defend the mega-corp. Cheers.

I think this is the key to the whole issue. Delta needed to deep clean the airplane seat. But deep cleaning is not something flight attendants do, it’s the job of a specialized cleaning crew.

The flight attendants were correct to point this out. If this passenger had demanded that the pilot come out of the cockpit and personally clean his seat, I think most of us would regard this as unreasonable. So why expect the flight attendant to do this? They are professionals, too. What would you say if one of your clients had poo on his shirt and demanded that you clean it?

Given that deep cleaning was unavailable and nobody on the airplane was going to clean the seat, the best option would be to leave the seat vacant and reschedule its occupant on another flight. I have a feeling the passenger refused this option, and that’s how he wound up angrily sitting in poo.

In a statement this week, Delta apologized to Meehan and acknowledged that “the area around his seat was not appropriately cleaned following an incident involving an ill emotional support animal.” The company said a cleaning crew finally boarded after Meehan complained and disinfected the area.

Delta disagrees with you.

It’s obvious the seat wasn’t clean. I’m pointing out that the attendants weren’t responsible for cleaning it. And apparently Delta agrees.

The airline was responsible for cleaning it. This focus on the flight attendants is silly. The airline fucked up. They know they did.

No we’re not. We’re alleging negligence. They didn’t do their job. Period.

This isn’t hard.

-xtien

No where in that statement is Delta saying the flight attendant did what they were supposed to do. In fact they also say this:

the airline says it’s investigating and intends “to prevent this from happening again.”

I don’t know who exactly dropped the ball and exactly when, but Delta is taking responsibility, and it is not reasonable to believe what happened is okay.

Of course the airline is responsible for cleaning it. Who else would be responsible?

And of course they want to prevent this from happening again.

So in the future, if the airline needs to choose between delaying all passengers for X hours in order to call in a cleaning crew, or just rescheduling the passenger onto another flight, which should it choose?

And if they choose to reschedule the passenger, but he prefers to remain on a poo-stained seat, should they give him the option?

There is a good chance they delayed flights by taking it out of service in Miami.

I am sure you’ve flown before. These planes have been delayed for far less hazardous reasons. Feces is not a minor health issue, and they serve food and drinks on planes.

No. It’s a health risk and everyone on that plane is about to fly with recirculated air with sick animal feces. Yes, the airline should have delayed to clean the plane. Which is what they did once it landed, I believe.

One thing I hate about flying is the fart smell that wafts through the cabin about 30-40 minutes into the flight. It can be overpowering, especially on night flights as that’s around the time that most people fall asleep and relax their buttholes, so it’s a simultaneous fart explosion, but I’m often late to sleep if at all. Might also be due to the pressure? But in any case fart smell is literally feces particles travelling from one person’s butt into your mouth and nose.

Turns out poop is everywhere. It’s on our keyboards, in our kitchen, and oh man, it’s all over our toothbrushes.

Dog poop particles floats through the air of our cities. I guess it should be expected as dogs are roughly 1:3 to human population these days.

I guess that means that people with dogs are constantly eating their dog shit particles? Or maybe we all are, just because it’s everywhere? After all they don’t clean up after themselves all too well, so they probably stream poo particles from their buttholes 24/7. What about other pets? My guess is cat ltterboxes waft poo particles throughout a house. Imagine farmers! The chicken coop! Yeeuh!

I’ve been changing poopy baby diapers in my house for the last several years. Just exposing the poop to the air for a few seconds, does that mean I’m breathing and eating human poo constantly in my house? Probably!

I read something awhile back about just how awesome our immune systems are. Thankfully. We don’t have to let these facts bother us that much. Cheers.

Guys, it’s fine, it was just locker room diarrhea.

What airlines are you flying? I have never noticed this.

You must not be a supertaster.

You’re losing it buddy. Haven’t you stormed out twice already? Did somebody in a Delta suit save your life once? Maybe it’s time to share that story instead of doing what you’re doing.

Put me in the yeah my cabins smell fine department. There is no blast of fart smell.

I haven’t stormed out at all - I’ve slowed down when people F-worded me. But in any case, the poop story didn’t bother me that much, other’s think Delta should have shut down the flight for the day. It’s fine to have different opinions.

I am referring to these two. You’re always welcome to keep posting, but you keep saying you won’t.

You’re digging your heels in here, and it’s very strange. You’re trying to equate brushing teeth with sitting in the feces of a sick animal. I think you should say that three or four times, out loud.

No I like this thread. But I’m trying not to debate the specifics of this incident anymore. As stated repeatedly, the way it was described didn’t seem like that big of a deal to me, which also seemed true for the guy himself, and the flight attendend, and other passengers. It’s ok if you disagree. Again, I’m now getting into the details which I’m trying to avoid. Stay positive.