Fly the not-so-friendly skies

They have to go locate the wings first.

I was on an Alaska flight last night that was originally going to be the max 9, but got swapped out for a 737-900 (with a 2 hour delay). Pilot announcement emphasized, more than usual, that safety is their number one concern. It was a fully booked flight. I didn’t get a chance to see if the exit rough folks were extra nervous.

Those Max 9 planes aren’t going anywhere any time soon.

They’re behind a diner in rural Washington where the investigators will ask patrons what they think of Joe Biden.

Sure glad my flights this week are on Airbus planes!

Good!

This is the first time in 20 years that the federal government has rejected an airline merger.

The series of mergers the government approved in the last two decades led to the creation of the “Big Four” airlines — American, Delta, United and Southwest — which control around 80% of the U.S. market.

Hahahahaha

That was great!

Oh, also, Boeing’s union contract is up next month, and guess who has a heck of a lot of leverage against management?

I guess these are technically friendly skies.

https://wapo.st/48QOi1W

Wow, I hadn’t realized wind speeds got that high.

I have to imagine the flying the other direction would have burned a lot more fuel. Do flights route around that sort of thing, kind of like the trade winds in the age of sail?

Route around or just take it into account. You’ll always have a longer travel time in the US going East-West vs. West-East. Airliners want to fly at around 500-550 mph airspeed, so the wind has a direct effect on ground speed.

IIRC last time we came back from Asia we arrived an hour early due to tailwind pushing us to 750mph or so. The nice thing about international terminals is that their gates are usually less congested so you actually get to use those time savings instead of sitting on the tarmac waiting for a gate to open up at the originally scheduled time

They keep having to adjust the assumed weight of passengers upwards as people get fatter.

They’re not going to get good data from a volunteer effort. A larger percentage of people at the high end of the weight scale aren’t going to step up for this.

Seems like you should walk over a big scale with your luggage and pay per pound, like a parcel.

Honestly shoot me up with drugs and put me in the cargo hold, that would be ideal.