Fly the not-so-friendly skies

Boeing says there is no safety issue.

Hahahahhahaha yeah okay.

Mr. Lewis said Boeing had done extensive testing on the Dreamliner and “determined that this is not an immediate safety of flight issue.”

“Our engineers are completing complex analysis to determine if there may be a long-term fatigue concern for the fleet in any area of the airplane,” Mr. Lewis said. “This would not become an issue for the in-service fleet for many years to come, if ever, and we are not rushing the team so that we can ensure that analysis is comprehensive.”

I really would not want to be onboard when it becomes an immediate safety issue. I am also somewhat ambivalent that a comprehensive safety analysis is not being rushed? Sounds crazy.

Why are we still fucking around and not investigating Boeing? It sure looks like they murdered that last whistleblower and this current one is claiming his boss threatened to have him killed.

After raising his concerns to his superiors, Salehpour said he was sidelined, told to shut up and received physical threats—telling the senators his boss said during a meeting “I would have killed someone who said what you said.”

Seriously what the fuck. I don’t think I’m getting on a Boeing plane any time soon.

Under current regulations, airlines decide how long a delay must last before triggering refunds. The administration is removing that wiggle room by defining a significant delay as lasting at least three hours for domestic flights and six hours for international ones.

Airlines still will be allowed to offer another flight or a travel credit instead, but consumers can reject the offer.

About damn time.

(From a PNW satire news site)

Before coming forward as a whistleblower, Salehpour worked for four decades as an engineer at Boeing. When he became a quality engineer on the 787 Dreamliner, he noticed issues with the aircraft’s shimming—the process of filling in gaps between segments of an aircraft’s fuselage.

These gaps are very small, typically the width of a human hair. “When you are operating at 35,000 feet, details the size of a human hair can be a matter of life and death,” Salehpour said, noting these gaps can cause fatigue cracks over repeated flights. Instead of properly shimming these gaps, Salehpour said that manufacturers were simply pushing misaligned pieces together with excessive pressure.

In the inspection data from 29 aircraft, Salehpour said he found gaps exceeding the specification 98.7% of the time. On the production line for the 777, Salehpour said he witnessed more unsafe manufacturing practices. “Boeing manufacturers used unmeasured and unlimited amount of force to correct the misalignment,” he told the subcommittee.

“This also weakens the airplane in the long run. I literally saw people jumping on pieces of the airplane to get them to align. I called it the Tarzan effect.”

Seems like a problem if I take more care assembling ikea furniture than they do planes at 35,000 feet. I guess they figure planes haven’t been dropping out of the sky more often than they used to so it’s good enough.

Please come and do my IKEA stuff.

always start with the assumption you will need to take it apart later (because you messed up). that is the mind trick that lets you peacefully do it right.

I’ve been building LEGO for, like, 40 years. I always assume a thing is gonna need some disassembly to figure out where I screwed up.

I’m guessing that was a brilliant ad-lib by Harrison at the end.

Infuriating article about what that Boeing whistleblower saw and how the deck is stacked against whistleblowers.

MRSA was supposed to be a sanatorium of sorts for malfunctioning airplane parts. Damaged, defective, or otherwise “nonconforming” parts were sent there to be tagged, logged, and painted red, so that no one would confuse them for parts that could be installed on an aircraft. MRSA was also understood as a kind of sanatorium of defective personnel, where blacklisted quality managers like Barnett were sent as punishment, because it felt more like an inventory management job than the awe-inspiring enterprise of building an airplane.

But Barnett quickly realized that MRSA was an extremely central part of another kind of enterprise at Boeing South Carolina: the mad dash for parts to install on airplanes that managers were under pressure to get out the door as quickly as possible.

Now he knew why. He asked security for an audit of how many keys it had made of the MRSA parts cage, and discovered there were hundreds of keys floating around. Every one of those mechanics’ bosses had been illegally raiding the cage for defective parts to install on new airplanes, without documentation. They then lobbied the quality bosses to pressure Barnett’s colleagues to falsify or “pencil whip” documents about the parts that had gone missing. Barnett himself had been instructed to “pencil whip” investigations on no fewer than 420 missing nonconforming parts.

Disinclined to commit any felonies on behalf of the bosses who’d spent the past six years terrorizing him, Barnett sent a couple of inspectors out to the assembly lines. Lo and behold, they found dozens of red-painted defective parts installed on planes. But there were no signs anywhere of the missing 47-48 section, or hundreds of other parts that had gone missing from MRSA. “You know, we really need to find all these … lost nonconforming parts,” he remarked at his next big meeting, hoping that with 12 managers present it would be harder to blow him off. “And if we can’t find them, any that we can’t find, we need to report it to the FAA.”

No one burst out laughing, but it wasn’t because they were taking him seriously.

“We’re not going to report anything to the FAA,” a supervisor declared emphatically.

https://twitter.com/fl360aero/status/1785049132505379238

Part of a Boeing airliner that crashed washed up in front of house of a lawyer that’s suing Boeing over its safety issues.

That’s just a sign that god’s on your side.

Or a horse’s head in the bed type situation.

The airliner returned to JFK and landed with no injuries.

Fair point, for all the news lately about planes, they are still insanely safe for doing what they do.

Whistleblower Josh Dean of Boeing supplier Spirit AeroSystems has died | The Seattle Times

Joshua Dean, a former quality auditor at Boeing supplier Spirit AeroSystems and one of the first whistleblowers to allege Spirit leadership had ignored manufacturing defects on the 737 MAX, died Tuesday morning after a struggle with a sudden, fast-spreading infection.

Dean, 45, lived in Wichita, Kan., where Spirit is based. Known as Josh, he had been healthy and was known for a healthy lifestyle.

Dean was represented by a law firm in South Carolina that also represented Boeing whistleblower John “Mitch” Barnett.

uhhhhh

Usually it’s not a conspiracy.

But sometimes it actually is a conspiracy. This definitely is trending that way. As absurd as it sounds, I find it plausible they were actually assassinated