Fly the not-so-friendly skies

That’s what you’re supposed to do, because unexpected turbulence happens. But especially if you are flying over hot regions of the world, like the Midwest in summer or the South Pacific. You get massive amounts of uplift and planes fly into that without warning.

You don’t even need to keep it tight. Just have it on loosely so you don’t get thrown into the ceiling and then your neck gets slammed down on the back of a seat.

Turbulence has never crashed an airliner, but it has killed people who got tossed around the cabin.

I always fly Delta when given an option.

Also, always always always always keep your seatbelt on when you are seated. Clear air turbulence can happen at any time without any warning.

After the light goes off, I usually relax in my seat by lengthening the seatbelt and looping it around my neck. Reading news of this incident, perhaps I should reconsider.

Well, with it wrapped around your neck, you don’t have to worry about your head hitting the ceiling, that is for sure.

I’m not saying burn it all down, but I have a can of gasoline.

I… what…

…wow.

The backlash to American Airlines was intense enough that they realized they fucked up.

https://thehill.com/homenews/4678026-american-airlines-says-filing-blaming-9-year-old-in-bathroom-recording-case-was-an-error/

“Our outside legal counsel retained with our insurance company made an error in this filing. The included defense is not representative of our airline and we have directed it be amended this morning. We do not believe this child is at fault and we take the allegations involving a former team member very seriously. Our core mission is to care for people — and the foundation of that is the safety and security of our customers and team.”

I feel like there should be a penalty box for lawyers who make insane claims like that one. I mean I understand it’s their duty to try to avoid a bad verdict for their client, but when a lawyer suggests that a nine-year-old child should have been aware that she was being videotaped in an airplane bathroom, that lawyer should get a time out and have to write an essay explaining that he or she knows what he or she did.

I have flown Delta a fair bit in the last couple of years and I’ve generally found it to be pretty good, not Singapore or Emirates good, but just fine. However, in the past year they have managed to badly mangle my Tumi suitcase three times. Tumi is crazy expensive, but the argument is you pay for the durability and warrantee. While I was in the Tumi store yesterday sending the same, hard-sided case out for repair for the 3rd time, two other people came in with bags Delta had torn or broken. I’m not sure what they are doing in baggage handling, but it must involve hydraulic presses.

Baggage handling isn’t actually under the airlines direct control. It’s the ground crews, usually contracted to the airport, that load/unload that stuff.

I was going to say the same thing – after your bags leave the Delta ticket counter area, they will probably never be touched by a Delta employee.

On the other hand, that’s an economic choice Delta (and the other carriers) are making. They fund the baggage handling model, and should be held responsible for its failures.

Does anyone know when that model changed? My understanding (from a friend whose dad did baggage handling and then oversaw baggage handling for United at LAX) is that carriers had their own handlers at least through the early 1990s.

My biggest baggage handling gripe is that the baggage handlers often go home before the last flights of the night have landed. More than once I’ve been left without my bags until the morning shift comes one, or until they can pull staff from somewhere else to unload the plane. There’s nothing like landing at 1:30am and then waiting until 3am for your bag to come out.

Probably around the time MBAs started infesting everything.

I would imagine circa 9/11/2001.

Delta was fine, but man ATL sucks. Everything is on a 40 minute wait except the fast food and the employees generally weren’t very amiable, no doubt due to being constantly overworked and dealing with hangry travelers such as myself.

Also, the Amex Centurion lounges at LAS and ATL both had a 40 person line waiting to get in, which makes having an expensive travel card suspect.

My Delta hub airport is Minneapolis, and that airport is super nice.

Long story short, procrastination made me have to book two 4 hour middle seat flights, and honestly they were better on Delta than aisle seat premium on United or AA. Granted I got lucky with mostly regular-sized seatmates, but overall it was just so much better. I’m switching my fancy Amex to a fancy Delta Amex, maybe I can get a decent status for 2025.

My daughter is on her first flight without a parent today for a school theater group trip to Broadway. They diverted to Cleveland on the way to Newark, on a 737 Max, so my wife was frantically trying to find out why they diverted. Apparently the shitter was broken. Back in the air now for the final leg of the journey.