Food delivery services (DoorDash, Grubhub, Postmates, UberEats, etc.)

I pretty much get a 100% refund every time they do that to me. I am always last on their triple bundle crap. If i wanted to reheat cold food, I’d reach into the freezer.

Yeah, I complain and get it canceled and refunded. Half the time they deliver it anyway and I get a free meal.

No disrespect here. Seriously. But I am amused at the anger that people have for delivery services that they use. You know that they suck. You know that they overcharge. Yet you still use them. Why?

In my case at least, because my partner and I have been taking extreme caution with Covid and basically just not leaving our house + disinfecting the crap out of everything that comes into it.

Which absolutely borders on paranoia.

But come May 6, we’re both 2 weeks+ from vaccination, and I look forward to never visiting doordash.com again.

I’m not going to do pick-up. I didn’t do pick-up or delivery really prior to COVID. This was one attempt to try to keep restaurants alive.

It’s convenient and I’m lazy. I got delivery constantly before COVID too.

It gets some money to the restaurants, I’m only in walking range to pick up from a couple of restaurants, I can’t drive, and I’m not gonna eat in the restaurant until I’m fully vaccinated and even then maybe not for a while.

Add “hopelessly overwhelmed by work and childcare” and this is us. That said, we are really sick of the local limited) delivery options at this point, so I suspect we’ll order a lot less in the near future. Now that we can do pickup and go the to store again, there’s strong motivation to do so.

That is a problem I do not have.

Considering where you live, I’m not surprised you have a plethora of great options. Honestly, there’s merit to traveling to that city for the sole purpose of eating oneself into a coma.

Just ordered a pepperoni and mushroom pizza from Doordash. I had a $10 credit from the order they canceled on me yesterday night and the restaurant had a $5 coupon, so my out of pocket was just over $20. Then the pizza came and they forgot the mushrooms. Contacted support, and they refunded $30 for the pizza and applied another $10 credit.

So on one hand, it was annoying last night’s order was canceled and they got my order wrong. But on the other, they just paid me $20 to eat dinner.

What is the split you get on -

1. Order arrives as ordered and is hot
  2. Order arrives but is not correct
  3. Order arrives as ordered but is cold
  4. Order just doesn’t arrive (canceled)

You mention getting credit quite a bit, so curious how often a high volume orderer gets food as expected. Getting discounts for DD or restaurant fuck ups is nice for sure since it sounds pretty automatic, but always wonder what folks tolerance level is for them.

Personal experience speaking as someone who’s used these services for most meals for the past 8 months would be something like:

Order arrives and is at least edibly warm: 70%
Order arrives but is not correct: 10%
Order arrives as ordered but is so cold it needs reheating: 15%
Order just doesn’t arrive: 5%

Mind you, often stuff in the first category still benefits from warming, but it’ll eat as is. Getting something genuinely piping hot is a rarity, and only occurs with places very nearby, but that was true even back when I was picking stuff up myself and bringing it back.

I should clarify that this is using DoorDash. The numbers for GrubHub were considerably worse, which is why we don’t use them anymore.

Order arrives as ordered and is hot: 10%
Order arrives and is at least edibly warm: 30%
Order arrives but is not correct: 20%
Order arrives as ordered but is so cold it needs reheating: 35%
Order just doesn’t arrive: 5%

Averaging about 2/week for the duration of the pandemic, so a little over 13 months straight.

1. Good and hot: 50%
  2. Not correct: 10%
  3. Cold: 15%
  4. Super late (well over an hour): 20%
  5. Canceled: 5%

I typically complain and get credits for #2, 4, and 5.

Our DoorDash experience. We typically average 3 orders/week.

• Order arrives as ordered and is warm enough - 85.5%
  • Order arrives but is not correct - 12.5%
  • Order arrives as ordered but is cold (or contents spilled) - 1%
  • Order just doesn’t arrive (canceled) - 1%

Results will largely be a product of your location and what store you order from. I’m in a suburb of a major city so there are a variety of restaurants and enough available dashers while not seemingly overwhelmed with orders.

For every order incorrect, we have received a credit exceeding the amount of the item(s) missing or incorrect.

Apart from one time when the driver just left someone else’s order entirely without a receipt or anything to ID it (like, no way it was restaurant error - it wasn’t even the same cuisine), I’ve never gotten an incorrect order that I can think of, although anytime I have given the restaurant instructions they just ignored it. But that’s not “please make this order in a special way” - I don’t bother with that usually, just things like “I don’t need utensils, I’m eating at home” or “please identify which container is the dish with the kitfo because I don’t want to reheat that” and then they include utensils or leave all the containers unmarked. Sigh.

Also don’t usually get things too cold to be eaten, although I admit my mouth is heat-sensitive enough that I often leave piping hot stuff to sit a bit anyway. Haven’t had too much trouble with super late lately with Doordash but it was common enough with Bite Squad, especially since with them I was often trying to feed myself for lunch, that I quit using them.

Thousands and thousands of restaurants…all selling the exact same chicken wings. Truly the delivery service dystopian endgame.

"Taco Bell was the only restaurant to survive the franchise wars. Now all restaurants are Taco Bell .”

His other concern is longer term, and one shared by many in the industry: that the delivery apps themselves will launch virtual brands. They have the data on what foods perform well, and they control what restaurants rank highly in search; what’s to stop them from launching a virtual brand themselves, asks Guarino, or offering brands to restaurants willing to pay them higher fees? “That’s the moment that the independent restaurant community has always been afraid of,” he says.

Andrew Rigie, executive director of the New York City Hospitality Alliance, compares it to Amazon’s practice of using data gleaned from its Marketplace to identify successful products and sell its own version. “It’s kind of the next logical step,” says Rigie. “It’s like Amazon Basics, where they say, ‘Okay, we’ll continue to sell your burgers, but now we’ve learned how to make our own burgers, and if you want your burgers to be listed above our burgers, you’re going to have to pay an additional premium.”

Honestly, I don’t know why it hasn’t happened yet.