Food delivery services (DoorDash, Grubhub, Postmates, UberEats, etc.)

They do, and yet whenever I have pizza delivered (or even when I go and pick it up myself), I found it’s a good idea to have the oven warmed up and ready to go at ~275F or so to heat it up again. This only works once though, and for a short period of time or the pizza dries out/gets too crispy.

The microwave, on the other hand, just makes the pizza soft and mushy, so that’s out too.

This is also what I did. Arrival times for food from the food delivery services can be somewhat random which is an issue when trying to deal with a hungry six year old child.

I’m having this problem with Blue Apron, which is a bit of a different kettle of fish but it’s still very much “hey guys, I ordered food, you giving me credits on my next order does not feed me”. One delivery got damaged by Fedex and they fully refunded me, but that didn’t get me six meals worth of food I was counting on in a pandemic. And the last few weeks they’ve just…not included mission critical ingredients, including twice the “knick knack bag” that’s got all the spices and condiments and such that are really critical to produce the flavor result they’re pitching. (And which are a) the most difficult thing to replace and b) invariably come in massively larger amounts at the grocery than you actually need.)

Fortunately, when I’ve done Doordash/Bite Squad orders and there’s been a problem it usually just means I’m particularly hungry by the time I do get something, not that I don’t get anything at all. (You guys must be ordering later in the evening than I am.)

Of course, for those living in a super urban core (NYC, SF, Chicago,etc), pick up is a non-starter. Or anyone without a convenient logistical ability, even outside of those areas.

What does that mean? I live in Chicago and have roughly a million places I can pick up from. Only about 250k if I want to walk.

Yeah we generally don’t eat dinner till 8 on order in nights, more like 11 on cooking nights. He says, fully 35 minutes away from having roasted potatoes, spanakopita, and salmon…

Just as an aside, we tried BlueApron and weren’t happy. We’ve been doing EveryPlate for several months now and are much happier with it. The only downside so far is they tend to rely on the same few vegetables over and over, so there’s not a great deal of variety, but the food is good and the portion sizes are perfect for the two of us.

As for delivery–I always go and pick up. I don’t trust delivery for pretty much all the reasons stated above.

What was the BA problem? Not getting the stuff reliably? We didn’t get our last one but I think that was the first problem in forever. I’ll check out Everyplate :)

It means it generally sucks and/or is not actually possible to easily go get your car, drive to somewhere, find parking, and pick up your food. Having lived in all three of the cities I mentioned, sure, you can go try to drive somewhere to pick up food but it generally is way more headache than it is worth.

That’s why you walk…

Certainly fair: I don’t have any program picking stuff up, parking is easy in Troy.

I think our biggest issues with BA were 1) it felt overpriced for what you got and 2) their selection just wasn’t to my taste very well. Also the prep times on some items felt like I might as well just go grocery shopping. YMMV of course.

I try plated. I was horrified with amount of plastic and the mountain of gel packs i got. I only had them a handful of weeks and they messed up pretty much every week. Heck one time the delivery just never came so they credited my account… which did not fill my refrigerator nor give me dinner.

Oh man, now here’s a fuckin’ weird one: “Virtual Brands”

I thought I was losing my mind with these seemingly duplicative restaurant listings on DoorDash that often had the exact same food pictures for a few overlapping items, but otherwise different menus/names. . . until I checked the address and saw they were the same.

Turns out they’re a new marketing scam – ahem, tactic – called Virtual Brands ™! There ain’t no such place as “The Tender Shack,” but if you’d like to have an entire menu comprised of variations of a single appetizer from Outback Steakhouse, they’ve got what you need!

Similar in concept to Ghost Kitchens, wherein several delivery-based “restaurants” are run out of a singular commercial kitchen rental space, but at least then it’s still basically a local company.

Our local Red Robins operate not only as Red Robin, but also Donato’s Pizza, Chicken Sammy’s, and The Wing Dept.

My favorite might just be Nashville Hot Chicken Shack. Maybe you even heard of one opening locally near you! They’ve got a website with a great big list of locations on it – they’re totally a real restaurant, right? Nope! It’s just a brand line being cooked and sold at a variety of local sports bars/pubs. In the North Carolina region, our local Fox & Hound locations prep NCHS. Hell, the Raleigh F&H also operates as the American Grilled Cheese Company.

The funniest part in the linked article is definitely Chuck E. Cheese’s putting up a fake Pasqually’s Pizza & Wings to foist their child-addicting garbage food off on unsuspecting adults.

Shari’s is doing that here. They spun off their burger menu and gave it a new restaurant name. I think one local join goes by 2 or 3 names on the various apps. It really is dishonest.

The thing is, I’ve been in the area long enough that I know most our restaurants, so when the “new” ones popped up, I tried to find them and then realize what they were.

This is why I pretty much stick to restaurants I’ve either personally been to or that have been recommended by food critics.

Yep, seeing that a lot here in the Bay Area, too. Lots of new chicken/chicken wing joints opening up on Doordash that are all tied to larger chains.

Thinking about it, I guess there’s no reason NOT to flood these services with various cuisine-specific brands. It will probably get silly and Doordash will implement some rules, but I also think local governments will step in once they catch up.

I only know about these because of Shark Tank but there are legit Ghost Kitchens. So it’s difficult to know the difference between the new food joins that are designed specifically for these apps, and the ones that just rebrand and lie.

In a big city, it’s probably a mix of the two. Here. I know that building, and it’s not a ghost kitchen.

It’s just the delivery food equivalent of a video cat face filter. y u mad bro

Yeah for sure it’s both. I think it would make sense for a larger restaurant to rent their kitchen to a smaller start up. So it’s hard to know what you’re really getting.

Here’s an example: It’s Just Wings is run out of Chili’s.

https://www.doordash.com/store/it-s-just-wings-san-jose-1028826/en-US