Food delivery services (DoorDash, Grubhub, Postmates, UberEats, etc.)

I spoke with one of my friends who lives in Georgia. He’s now working from home permanently and instead of just buying things to make lunch he orders lunch from a delivery service nearly every day. Salads? Sure. Burgers, yep. Tacos, chicken sandwiches, deli sandwiches, yes to all. That’s his daily big meal and he has it down to the exact numbers on what it costs him.

I’m just … what the hell happened to making our own food? I mean, it’s COVID, we’re all AT HOME.

Mask compliance at the local grocery store is about 20% (the CDC really screwed us on that one, it had been 90% before the May 13th announcement but you can’t get that toothpaste back in the tube I guess), so we’re back to delivery groceries, and the selection and cost benefit ratio there sucks nuts. It’s ultimately no better than just ordering the finished food, especially since neither of us has the time/energy to make much of anything anyway.

Well, for the record, this will help my wife for a while between jobs as she’s a fully fledged Dasher now and is looking at the other services too to see the differences. She needs some time to find her next path and being able to set her own hours as needed really helps that.

As for the masks, I’m down to two weeks before I travel on vacation with the entire family, the fist we’ve done since COVID began. All of us are getting tested a week prior to going. I’m in mandatory mask at work and out at this point, just to be safe. I do get looks, which seems strange considering this state isn’t one of the top vaccinated states.

I should hope so, it would be damn expensive to do it every day.

@vinraith My wife has been grocery shopping in the mornings (like before 8 AM mornings) to avoid crowds. It’s working pretty well.

And @Skipper you make me think. We are going to the beach next week and I haven’t really thought much about it from a masking perspective. We will have and will wear our masks of course but it doesn’t feel like our daily experience will be much different from the usual in that we will mostly be by ourselves and will be inside a limited amount of time.

Do you have a walmart around? We have had great success with walmart pickup for groceries. We haven’t found any difference in selection and it’s free. Even when we started going out maskless again (before delta hit) we were still doing it due to it being much easier.

In our case, my brother in law picked a secluded beach house on a pretty secluded beach that the whole family is sharing (Avon, NC.) Since we’re taking most of the things we need, the risk will be low(er) than a busier beach or one where we’d be out doing activities. The adults are just trying to be careful as a few of the kids are under 12 and not vaxxed. Prior to this pre-travel time, I’ve been so-so about mask use because I’m vaccinated. Right up until Delta spiked numbers here.

That makes sense. Since there are only three of us and we’ve all been fully jabbed, I have not been terribly concerned about exposure. Nevertheless, we will be careful.

Annoying phone convo with Doordash driver just now.

Me: hello?
Her: Doordash
M: ok…
H: do you speak Spanish?
M: no, sorry!
H: I don’t speak English
Then silence…

I live in a high rise building, so I can’t just pop down and see if she’s at the front door.

It’s been 10 mins so I assume this delivery isn’t going to happen.

Edit: wow, she cancelled the order. I can’t even get help about it because cancelled orders completely disappear from the order page. I waited over an hour.

Complain and get ten dollars. It won’t fill your belly, but ten dollars is ten dollars.

Yeah, I’m chatting with them now. It doesn’t help that they make it pretty hard to find a link to start a chat if it’s not about a specific order.

Yeah, $10 credit issued. Strangely enough they just added the credit to my credit card instead of it being Doordash credits.

I managed to get missing food from an order redelivered yesterday in lieu of a credit and felt like a goddamn wizard! Fuck you DoorDash give me my fries!

That’s crazy. Then again, I lived in Italy for 2 1/2 years and went through this from the ordering perspective. After a while if you stick to the same delivery place they know you, what you order, where you live, what you’re probably wearing at the door, etc. These new delivery services have fucked that all up.

I don’t want a personal relationship with my delivery guy. I don’t want to speak to a human at all. I want my food to arrive on time with no human interaction.

Yup. A buzz, a knock, and a bag left on the front step. That’s it. I’m very happy to tip well and give 5 star reviews if I never even notice the delivery driver exists.

Totally agree with you both, and generally that’s what happens with Doordash, Amazon, and Fedex/UPS deliveries. But every once in a while a Doordash driver will arrive, ring the bell, and stand there like it’s 2019. I just shout through the door, “you can leave it there,” but wonder why that’s necessary since I checked the “touchless delivery” option or whatever it is.

Unfortunately my weed delivery requires an ID check, but Eaze’s delivery people are usually super nice anyway so it’s not a big deal.

Ahh, the COVID way!

Seriously does nobody talk to the pizza delivery guy? Or the Chinese delivery guy who’s been bringing stuff for years? I’m obviously in the minority.

Quick question, do you know the name of your regular UPS or mailbox person?

We need a separate topic to discuss what’s good and what’s changing these days. Would love to hear some of you legal-folk talk about best strains, etc.

That’s probably a pretty good one question introvert/extravert test right there, or at least it would be if we had the same people doing those deliveries regularly (for the record, I don’t know the name of any of them). I’m polite to delivery folks if I have to interact with them, I appreciate what they do and the past year and a half would have been impossible without them, but I’m really not looking to form a relationship. I try to make sure the good ones are rated and tipped well, and pretty much see that as the extent of my responsibilities here.

I think that’s it. I used to be a bit more quiet but I’m slowly becoming my father who was the biggest extrovert I’ve ever known. My wife hates it.