Food Recalls (that are interesting)

It’s berry season!

With a healthy dose of “Don’t eat raw flour or undercooked dough”

Yikes. E.coli from flour?

It’s not the first time. There have been other flour recalls in the recent past.

I looked back in this thread, because I’m pretty sure Gold Medal was recalled in 2018 as well. But I think it was salmonella (It apparently didn’t get posted here).

The semi-annual Romaine contamination bingo is on again.

https://www.fda.gov/food/outbreaks-foodborne-illness/investigation-e-coli-o157h7-outbreak-linked-romaine-salinas-california-november-2019

FDA warns against eating romaine lettuce from Salinas, California

That ended up being all our lettuce and apparently most of the lettuce at the grocery given the current state of selection.

You romaine fools! I told you, I told you. Iceberg rules the world!

Steinbeck would roll over in his grave.

I took a nutrition class in college. Yeah, yeah, I know. Understand it was a tip from a guy friend of mine, “hey, this class is an elective and it is LOADED with women!” And it was, but I digress.

Key for green veggies: The darker green it is, the better it is for you. The mantra is, “dark green, leafy vegetables.” Iceberg is mostly just water and crunch, unfortunately. I love that stuff on tacos though.

My local Whole Foods like market that I go to always has romaine during these recalls, even when the big name chains aren’t selling it. Its not organic or anything, I guess they must have a better source?

People eat iceberg by choice?

Who doesn’t love a wedge salad? Or iceberg on tacos? Or lettuce wraps?

I use romaine for everything. Iceberg is devoid of flavor, but I guess it’s used sometimes for its crispness? I have never had a wedge salad though.

It’s the reason I use it for tacos and burgers which should already have plenty of flavor from other ingredients. I don’t really use it for salads really, although the crisp is part of the appeal of a wedge salad. It’s really all texture for me too.

Under-the-table, off-hours pork processing. What a crazy world.

I pretty much do the same but I love a spring mix or occasional bitter green too. Like Nesrie put it, a wedge salad is mostly about the crunch. Typically they add to it with a blue cheese dressing and perhaps some bacon. It’s the crunch vehicle for some added fatty flavors. I’m cool with that.

Spring mix is great, I wish it would just last longer than 3 days in my fridge.

I consider iceberg a crunchy flavor carrier. Love wedge salads. Sure I eat other lettuces. I particularly like Boston Bibb. Also frisee.

I was trying to think of a green I didn’t like and only came up with two and even then it’s mostly due to the preparation: collard and turnip greens.

Down here I’ve had both many ways but it is sadly very common to have them served just warmed up out of the can. Which is horrid. And it brings back memories of my mom and grandma forcing me to eat my collard greens before I could leave the table. shudder

They can be good, just not in that method.

Sauteed in olive oil with garlic. That fixes almost anything.