WIth the NFL divisional playoffs here …
Your team’s made the Super Bowl for the first time EVAR and you can only listen to the game on a cheap AM radio. Who do you want calling that game?
My top 5:
- Howard David - used to call Jets games when I lived in NYC; now does radio calls for the Dolphins and also did the radio for Monday Night Football as well as a few Super Bowls. For my money, he’s the both the best and most underrated football play-by-play guy going.
- Mike Patrick - ESPN broadcasts would just suck without this guy. He almost makes Joe Theisman and Paul Maguire tolerable.
- Al Michaels - For whatever reason, I just dig the excitement in his voice when someone breaks into the open. If only they could translate this into Madden’s calls.
- Dick Enberg - You’d rather listen to Greg “ZZZZZZZ” Gumbel call the Super Bowl for CBS this year? Jim Nantz?
- Kevin Harlan - I used to love hearing him do radio play-by-play for Kansas City; I’m glad he got picked up nationally.
I dug Pat Summerall, although I’m not sure he’d make this list. The Giants had a great play-by-play guy in the 1990’s, although I don’t recall his name.
There was also a guy who used to be the voice of NFL Films and did play by play for the Chargers at one point, but I’m embarassed to say I can’t remember his name. (Although his play-by-play was a little shaky in recent years, reminding you of Will Ferrell’s Harry Carey imitation at points.)
I won’t even get into a list of announcers I hate. I’d be up all night. Any other suggestions for great announcers?