For Honor (Ubisoft)

I saw the closed Alpha was going on and figured I’d post some info and videos. The game won’t be out until Q1 2017.

The game has 3 classes, Knight, Viking, and Samurai, and has 3rd person melee focused combat. I like how they made players into hero classes and that there are AI grunts on the field doing battle around you.

Ubi Site

2016 E3

Wikipedia infos

Some Alpha game play from IGN.

I’ve been following it for a couple weeks, now, but haven’t been accepted into the alpha/beta/wherever-it’s-at-now, yet.

I’m getting a Battlefield vibe off it. I’m no longer interested in competitive multiplayer gaming. I wonder how substantial the single player game will be.

Kind of like a BattleZone (activision remake), where you have a pseudo-RTS layer with your avatar taking part in the battle. Or like a Mount and Blade tactical multiplayer skirmish. I’m just having trouble digesting that trailer. Seems like a bizarre convoluted mishmash of ideas. A big earthquake, societies crushed, a thousand years of fighting, lady knight extra faction on top of factions we already don’t know, who cares now? Why bother with all that nonsense?

I’m in the alpha. It’s only the multiplayer mode with 1v1, 2v2 and a 4v4 mode. The first two are strictly player versus player (or AI Bots if you don’t want to brave live opponents). 1v1 is just a straight up dual using the games cool directional blocking and attacking system. Best of five matches wins. 2v2 is is similar, but with teams of 2.

The 4v4 mode is quite different in that there are also a bunch of AI minions from both sides rushing a center point and you need to capture and hold three points to win. This mode also lets you use perks in your character build to stun enemies with bombs, regain health from killing minions, etc. It’s actually smaller in scale than you might expect. Maps are pretty small and they’re definitely not going for a Mount and Blade type scale.

There’s actually more than 3 classes. It’s three factions, but there are two characters in each faction you can play in the Alpha. I suspect there may be more in the final game. There’s also a good deal of customization and loot in the game to modify your armor, weapons, gender, skin color, perks, etc.

The game has a single player campaign as well. The opening movie they first revealed at E3 implies these three societies were transported from their homelands into this mystical realm where they’re forced into conflict by and interested third party.

It looks really nice and runs well on PS4. I’m interested to see how the full game turns out. It’s hard to say if the depth will be there long term, but the combat system definitely has a high skill ceiling.

It looks okay but it’s impossible to tell how it feels to play. I’d have to try it.

If anyone has friend invites to the technical test, I’d love one. Harkonis7 on Uplay

Hey remember how the SP campaign was supposed to be fully playable offline?

Ubisoft just confirmed that the internet connection will be required at all times. Even for the SP campaign.

Not on the consoles, surely?

On the PC, I can understand. Blizzard showed everyone that PC gamers didn’t mind that when they did it with Diablo 3. But I thought console players were winning that battle? They got offline Diablo 3, and an offline Xbox One.

Consoles too.

[quote]We can confirm that For Honor is an always online experience. Some elements of progression, which is hosted online, are shared across story and multiplayer modes. Players will need to be connected to the Internet at all times to play For Honor.
[/quote]

The basic design of the campaign changed. The XP is saved now on your account across modes. Apparently, this change happened recently because a bunch of their official marketing still says “offline campaign” in the text.

I’d rather have that and progression from sp counts, than the other option

The CEO said single player is dumb we added ecks pee to the campaign.

I guess I shouldn’t have expected anything different, but it’s always soul-sucking to see it spelled out like that.

Oh well, the game wasn’t a lock for me anyway. We’ll see how it plays.

I don’t understand this sentiment. In the past, were SP campaigns a waste of time to you?

A campaign so memorable we’re storing your results on our server.

Hmm, that was a pretty dumb joke.

I’m not sure I care about For Honor, but why does it matter if the campaign is offline or not?

1. It’s still being advertised as being offline, so there’s that. I’m sure Ubisoft will eventually change the marketing text, but it’s lame that Ubisoft can’t be bothered to post some kind of announcement first instead of having a CM post a reply in their forum to some random person’s question and having it blow up from there.

2. I don’t hold a lot of hope for For Honor’s campaign being something great, but this year we have Titanfall 2, Doom, Battlefield 1, and Infinite Warfare serving up completely serviceable offline singleplayer campaigns. Hitman, even with all its online frippery, is playable offline in a gimped fashion. Heck, Ubisoft’s own Watch Dogs 2, which is seeded with “seamless” open world online multiplayer stuff is 100% playable offline.

3. Why does it need to be online? Okay, I get that account XP carries over, but why is that necessary? Is it really that much of a gameplay boost? Was anyone worried about their experience not carrying across the account before this?

4. I’m not so much concerned about my internet connection (although I will admit that it’s sometimes spotty) but Ubisoft’s servers are a worry. Anyone that says they’ve never been denied game time due to a company’s server being down or inaccessible for whatever reason is lying.

And yes, I get that I’m a dinosaur on this. “Software as service” is the way forward, I have lost that battle. I just hate that the majority a) cares not a bit about game preservation, and b) sees nothing wrong with singleplayer being tied to online servers.

I’m still not even sure what “For Honor” even is. That’s despite seeing E3 footage from two different E3s. Some kind of action game involving melee combat is all I got.

In a lot of cases yes, very much so. Playing the AI and scripted events is boring to me and typically offers little to no real challenge. I vastly prefer to face off against other players since the experience varies so much more. Time spent doing things that don’t advance the unlocks that these games inevitably hide tons of content behind feels wasted when your focus is on the multiplayer side.

Having the data all on the server helps curb cheats that modify local data which I’m all for again since my focus is on the multiplayer side of things. The biggest way people cheat in multiplayer games is taking advantage of any locally stored info, which is why Diablo on console is best if not played with the public since half the people you run into have modified gear. Such as rings with 3 slots.

But in this case, it’s singleplayer/co-op against AI NPCs and scripted story elements just like before, except now your XP is saved to your account. So you’re still doing “boring” stuff, just online.

I honestly don’t care about people cheating in singleplayer parts of games. If someone wants to cheat code their way through a campaign, I say let them have their offline fun.