For Honor (Ubisoft)

So mostly just on principle?

I hear you on the server thing, but honestly I’ve played a ton of Division at this point and other than announced outages have had no issues. Same thing with Destiny.

I’m not arguing pro-online single player, but my experience is that it really makes almost no functional difference. Now in a game like Skyrim or Witcher it probably adds an unneeded layer of complexity, but if it makes sense to put the single player portion of a game online I’m not sure that’s by default a bad thing.

I think I listed a couple of practical reasons.

I despise when I can’t play a game because the servers are down or my internet is spotty. If it’s a fully multiplayer affair, then so be it. I’m annoyed, but I’ll just shut up and move on. When it’s not multiplayer - when it’s just some account XP engagement feature or “cheat-free experience” BS in a singleplayer campaign, then I’m a little more angry.

My internet is spotty enough that I depend on offline games when I can’t access servers. Over Thanksgiving, I did a lot of Watch Dogs 2 and Titanfall 2 singleplayer because I kept getting kicked off Battlefield 1 servers.

I guess I just haven’t had issues with servers for games I am trying to play really so I have a hard time relating. I’m sure I would be equally frustrated though if that was happening to me though.

The good news is that apparently the campaign is a complete turd. So it’s got that going for it, I guess.

I wonder at what point Ubi realized the campaign was terrible and just decided to wrap it up and not bother making it good enough to stand on its own?

Well, forget it then. I can dip my toes into $20 multiplayer games but I don’t have the time to justify a $60 one.

On to Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

Wallet threat level: teddy bear.

Maybe when reviews win quick looks come out For Honour will make sense and look awesome, but for now I just don’t see what’s cool about it.

How many horrible decisions can they make before this thing releases, I feel immense shame for even making the thread on this game, heh.

The gameplay is amazing, and after playing in the last tech test I couldn’t wait to play more. Feels like you are all just crazy people to me.

What kind of game is it? What do you do?

third person melee combat with several modes from 1v1 duels, 2v2 brawls, 4v4 last man standing and 4v4 domination with minions. Pretty good variety. There is a lot of video out there showcasing it as well. Combat just feels very fluid once you know what you are doing, and almost every time you die it’s definitely because you screwed something up.

So is it kinda like a fighting game hybrid?

I hope they do a demo beta or something, because if this game is all in the feel that’s not really coming across in the marketing.

They have sign ups for a chance to win a slot in a beta. I almost did it because I’m curious how it plays and I don’t want to pay full price. But I balked at getting added to some Ubilist. I guess I’ll buckle down and take the chance.

Positive news! Ubisoft confirmed that all future maps, modes, and patches will be free for everyone like Rainbow Six Siege.

It’s setup like a third person brawler, but the mechanics behind the fighting are done in a way that really invokes the feeling of a fighting game like Street Fighter to me. It’s very much about mind games and reading your opponent, but there is also the layer of tactical positioning and strategic positioning depending on the mode. Unlike most games, I’ve had fun in every mode they have offered. I’m super stoked and the more I play the more I can’t wait.

Hoping some of my friends on XB play when it comes out though, the other game that had me super excited was R6:S, and I’m still the only person on my friends list that plays.

Yeah, lack of people play with is why I skipped R6:S. Pity since it looked pretty cool.

I always wonder if people buy these things.

$220. There’s a PS4 version too.

Speaking as a former store manager, yes. Though it varies quite a bit from game to game. As a very rough estimate, you might see 1 in 20 preorders for a CE like that on a popular franchise. A new franchise with a very pricey CE, probably less. A cheaper CE on an established franchise (say WoW expansion) the proportion would be much higher.

PC requirements:

Requirements.

I like the way they lay that out. Instead of minimum req and recommended req, they go instead with 1080p60 and 720p30. I hope more companies use that metric going forward.

Is the beta signup for this month the same as the one last month? I’m not sure I ever got a confirmation email last time.

I just want to play this for 15 minutes for free.

I just received my PC invitation, so I’ll likely be there tomorrow at 9 AM!