"For the King"

Any have opinions on For the King, http://store.steampowered.com/app/527230/For_The_King/ ?
Forum search didn’t turn up any discussion, but “strategic rpg that combines tabletop and roguelike elements” sounds interesting, and it just came out of early access today.

It was on my wish list as well, which almost certainly means that I saw it at a PAX, played an early build, and thought it was interesting enough to watch. I… do not remember much/anything else about it though, so I’ll also be waiting to see if someone takes the dive and has some more substantial feedback.

I bought it Day 1 upon entering EA and think it’s excellent. For those new to the game, though, do yourselves a favor and read the entire Help section to fully understand the mechanics. The devs have put a lot of love into it, and it has a decent following (500+) on their Discord channel. Its KS campaign raised CA$ 133,661 (CA$ 40,000 goal).

I’ll try to remember to add more to this thread once I’ve played the release version to see what’s changed from EA.

Fair enough, I will go through the Help file to see if it makes it click better :)

I am very interested in this. Would love to hear some more takes on it. For 15 bucks I’d just pull the trigger if GoW wasn’t hitting tomorrow…

There was discussion about it in the ‘little indie games worth knowing about’ thread (I think it was that one) but I do think it deserves its own thread.

I bought it early on based on those discussions (thanks to @Mysterio) and I love it. It had some balance issues and other things that needed sorting when it first went into EA but they’ve been steadily improving it. I particularly love the turn based combat. I think it’s pretty slick. I definitely recommend it.

I backed it on Kickstarter but haven’t had time to play it, was mostly waiting for 1.0

Out on GOG as well.

Thanks all, purchased!

I’ve heard good things about it, but I don’t quite see what makes it better than any ol’ roguelike. What’s special about it?

When I do it I have my paired fingers work in opposite directions. It drives my wife batty.

I just tested it out, and you are indeed an animal.

There is a lot going on in this game, while the tutorial is helpful, I wish there was a manual for it. Nice day here, and I would like to sit outside and read it. There is a Wiki for it at least. Like what I see so far, looks like it will be a lot of fun once I learn it. One thing though, I kept hoping the sun would rise and the game would get some color. Very strange color palette, it’s very warm.

Like a few others, I bought it and was just waiting for it to leave EA. Maybe I’ll dive in this weekend!

Anyone else think of this when they read the thread title?

Thanks for the heads up though, will look into the game!

Haven’t played it, but here’s some thoughts from someone who has:

http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2018/04/for-king.html

Guess I just suck at this one, couldn’t make it past the 1st dungeon as it just went on and on.

Count me as underwhelmed.

What’s your party composition? Some class combos work better together. I’d recommend having an herbalist in your party. The party heal is just too good to miss. I’d use her instead of the scholar as your caster. And the Busker is versatile. He makes a good fighter and distraction is great. Also, what level was your party when you entered the first dungeon? Make sure you’re level 2 at a minimum

Here’s a character comparison chart I put together last summer. Note that it may possibly be somewhat out of date now. It doesn’t include the new characters they added.