"For the King"

I had four choices, hunter, blacksmith, scholar and minstrel, i went with hunter, blacksmith, minstrel.

After playing through to a squad wipe twice I was under the impression I would get more options preserved for the next play-through, I see no evidence of that. That’s literally the first thing the game splashes on the screen when you start the game.

I’ve no option for herbalist, trapper, busker or woodcutter (or any other characters they may of added).

I may at some point take another stab at it (although I very much doubt it), for now, I’d call myself done. It was stupid of me to kickstart this, that’s all my fault, I know better than to get anywhere near rogue-likes.

You have to spend points (I forget what they’re called) that you accumulate from exploring dungeons, completing quests, etc. in order to unlock other classes.

Ok, I’ll play a long, when I start a new campaign where is the option to spend these points I’ve supposedly accumulated?

Apparently in the Lore Store for points…

https://fortheking.gamepedia.com/Characters

https://fortheking.gamepedia.com/The_Lore_Store

Ah, I see. So I’ve got 3 points and the lowest character to unlock is 10. So, due no doubt in large part to my incompetence I’ll have to grind to get this thing off the ground. I’ll pass.

I should never of gotten anywhere near this one, my bad.

Back to Factorio and Rimworld for a couple days till Battletech launches Tuesday.

Thanks gents for pointing that out though. Appreciate the attempt at help, but I’m beyond help on this one I do believe. ;)

Launch trailer from a few days ago.

I’m willing to believe this could be fun if it didn’t crash every half hour. Hoping it’s just that I’m trying to run it on an ultrawide monitor; going to try with a normal size window and will report back later.

I did end up grabbing this over the weekend, and after eight or ten hours, I quite like it. I’m not sure it’s for everyone. It reminds me of Darkest Dungeon a little bit in that you can make very few suboptimal choices before things start to snowball in a way that might let you think you’re still pushing along fine… but you’ve crippled yourself longer-term because you’ve been fighting to stay alive when you should have been building up your power base.

It definitely took a couple of hours for all of the ‘systems’ to click. I got basically nothing done in my first two games, and then I got a TON done in my third game (without anything new unlocked at that point). It really does have the rogue-like influence in that sense: other than maybe the class unlocks - and I got that third game to level 6 with Blacksmith/Hunter/Minstrel, so Herbalist is by no means required - player knowledge is more important than anything you can unlock at the lore store, at least for the part of the game I’ve seen.

I have decided that I like this, and I think the crashes were due to trying to run on an ultrawide (or perhaps with an insufficient graphics card); I made some graphics tweaks and it’s a lot more stable.

One thing that annoys me is that moving each character independently seems to do more harm than good unless you’re in a trivial area where you can solo fights.You can’t really afford to spread out too much other than maybe having one character do a small side trip to a town or Night Market or skill test or what have you; you’re certainly not doing quests separately because there are so many random encounters that pop up to ambush you. At least that’s my experience.

In my current game I did split the party briefly to get one character a devotion and ended up having the other two sailing to pick her up and got ambushed by the Kraken and they both died with me having no extra lives left. Somehow I managed to recover and get the game moving again though it took a perilous journey through a new area to pick off a faraway Cult Device. That was pretty satisfying.

@tomchick I feel like this one is right up your alley. Love to hear your thoughts on it.

You can hear and watch!

I like it too. Almost. The individual (as opposed to group) movement aggravates me. Plus it was nclear until way later that there was an end turn button. or maybe I am just starting to get old.

I feel the same way! This is a perfect fit for me these days for some very specific reasons, especially given how much progress I’ve made since recording that video. I’ll definitely be writing a review.

-Tom

Running into a dungeon is fun though. I sorta like the camera and the battles. I’ll hit this more on sunday morning I bet. I am still not crazy about the inability to “group” in a traditional way though I realize that’s a game mechanics issue.

I am playing this thanks to @Chappers, and I must say it is growing on me, after an early messy contact almost of the magnitude of Has-been Heroes. For the King really doesn’t explain much of anything, and boy, are there many numbers! And menus! And stuff to spend money on! And stuff spawning everywhere!
I just wished there was an easier way to move around the overworld map. As @richardlgaines said, the individual movement makes it unnecessarily tedious. I know there are teleports scrolls, but if you enter a dungeon, do you get all of your team inside by any chance? That would make it less discouraging to make trips to refill to towns.
As I suspected, it is a game much better to play than to watch being played: the random number aspects was doubly infuriating when I was watching Tom play it.

I should add I am playing it with gamepad and mouse mixed. The gamepad relaxes my hand, but a bunch of commands (like the focus usage) are poorly implemented and offer no turning back. I couldn’t figure out how to get most of the advanced command using the gamepad either. So it is mouse time for those particular occasions.

Sure it does. Read the entire Help section.

It is necessary, since it’s essential to core mechanics. The game would suffer greatly from its removal.

Yep! Dungeons are a great way to pull everyone together. Boats, too. You just have to make sure they’ll all in the same territory.

-Tom

Hunter down!

It’s not looking good for my party in my first game since it left EA. I’m running with a Blacksmith, Hunter, and Scholar.

• My Hunter’s dead without any lives remaining
  • I’m on the first turn of the 5-turn night cycle
  • A Scourge is about to be released upon the realm
  • And a third Chaos incursion looms on the horizon!

At least I’ve accrued 31 Lore thus far!

I’ve loved this game since Day 1 of EA, and it’s only gotten better since. Great game!

That’s the great thing about dying. You finally get to spend all that lore. I just lost a party in last encounter in the King’s Maze with something like 25 lore. It was great!

-Tom

I beat the final boss on my second attempt on the default (easy) difficulty, sitting at around 10 hours playtime. Had about 85 lore in total from both attempts, so I do not think it takes unreasonably long to unlock everything in the store.

I have mixed feelings about this one. I really like the aesthetic of this game, it all blends together rather well and it certainly feels a notch above all the generic-comicy-WoW-style-of-graphics. Entering a dungeon made me tense with anticipation (and fear) every time and I really liked the progress meter showing the number of remaining stairs and bosses. Fortunately, my stress level playing the game always felt just right, whereas playing something like Darkest Dungeon was sometimes more stressful than enjoyable (even though I ultimately did finish that beast of a game as well). Loved the Tolkien reference with the pipes (pipe upgrades are very recommended!).

I agree with everybody who says the movement is tedious. I made frequent use of portal and teleport scrolls, the haste sanctum, boats and dungeon entrance portaling, but it still felt tedious to me. I agree that you can’t simply get rid of that aspect of the game, but it’s not something I enjoyed very much. I also feel that the combat lacks strategic depth. I usually felt that for any given character and set of equipment, the optimal combat turn was pretty straightforward for almost all enemy types. Darkest Dungeon, for instance, offered me a lot more meaningful choices on each character’s turn. The UI needs a serious overhaul. I didn’t find any shortcuts for selecting skills, nor did there seem to be shortcuts for targeting specific enemies, i.e. slot 1, 2, or 3. I sometimes had a nasty selection bug that prevented me from targeting opponents other than the middle one. Inventory management is a chore. There really should be an option of showing all of your character’s inventories at once with the option of dragging and dropping items. With the exception of trinkets, item progression was rather dull, with clear incremental increases from tier to tier.

Some tips:
Dungeons are much easier when your characters are one or two levels above the dungeon’s displayed level. I liberally strolled around killing a lot of overworld enemies for this. Never willingly engage with one or two party members, do try to use ambush when attacking with your awareness party member.
Pipe upgrades are key. Always buy godsbeard when given the choice. I generally favored pipe upgrades and herbs over item purchases.
My best item, by far, was the book of healing I picked up in the first third of the game. Mass heal is super powerful. Even more powerful, however, was the time jump / chrono shift ability (can’t remember the name exactly, the wiki seems to list an outdated set of abilities) which effectively makes one opponent skip a turn. It is, by far (!), more useful than stun and makes controlling single powerful opponents extremely easy. I don’t think I would have finished the game successfully without this ability.
Always make sure to have a sanctum on each hero, as they essentially give you an additional life. Destroying chaos generators gives you extra life points or the option of banning a scourge, so do try to find each and every one of them. That said, killing scourges actually rewards you with powerful item drops, so do not ban all scourges just because you can.
For my playthrough, the sea caves were excellent for levelling and loot.
Not sure about the best quest rewards, I generally went for money or chaos reduction. Always pick up quests if you can, even if you are not sure you can finish them in time (you usually can).

Has anyone tried this coop? I am somewhat reluctant to push a friend into buying this, as I suspect the tedious movement and the rather shallow combat will suck the fun out of this rather quickly…