Ford getting out of the car business

Must be the seat angle and/or big hair.

If you guys knew @claybob it would make more sense.

Or it may be your body proportions. I have a long torso and neck and have been unable to fit into some vehicles. To be able to fit my head under the roof, I’m so far back that I cannot safely operate the steering wheel and pedals.

I’m all torso. I’m about two inches taller than my gf and her legs are four inches longer than mine. Tiny cars are hard for me. Buying pants is hard for her!

Yeah I have the same issue with a 2010 Fusion and part of it is a long torso. The other thing is that I like to sit more upright than other drivers but it’s limited because I don’t want to have my head brushing the roof.

Yeah could be, I have longer legs, sit low and back. For me the eternal struggle is leg room. Many are the car where I am uncomfortable driving if I have to move the seat up to accommodate passengers.

I can’t drive an altima, fusion or malibu.

6’5" with long legs makes most sedans impossible.

Kias and Hyundais are good for legroom (Koreans love their legroom), as are the larger cars (rented an Impala once, and it was comfortable.) But even small SUVs don’t have enough legroom for me. I drive an 06 escape that is perfect, but some of the japanese SUVs are a bit cramped. My 6’7" brother drives a Rav4 which is pretty good, but it is about as small as you can go.

Something about trucks and SUV’s just work better for the height inclined like myself. getting down into a car is difficult even if the head/legroom is good.

I would drive a sedan if I could, but the legroom is just so limiting.

Vans tend to be pretty good for legroom, but … vans… (when I have a kid I guess)

It’s interesting to wonder what tall people (or as we short types call them, ungodly freaks of an evolution gone horribly awry) did before there were SUVs? I’m guessing, based on my memories of the land yachts of yore, that those ginormous American sedans had plenty of room for vertically privileged.

Yeah, that is it really. Thanks to the Japanese cars got smaller and more efficient, and the industry followed suit. It makes sense for 90% of the population that the legroom is wasted on. Car is easier to drive and park, better mph, etc.

The new Cadillacs have plenty of legroom!

Caddys, at least the big ones, still have that old-school large boat thing going on, albeit in a sort of 21st century fashion. There is definitely a market for large sedans, but it isn’t huge, and the offerings in that segment are gradually concentrating in the upper reaches of the price belt. I guess the Chrysler 300 and Impala, for as long as they are around, and the now-sentenced-to-death Taurus were the last of the affordable behemoths.

If you have, oh, a couple hundred large to spend, you can always find a Bentley or an S-Class…

Luckily, height is positively correlated with income, so all y’all tall MFers can enjoy your Cadillac legroom just fine! ;-)

When I was a kid one of my best friends’ dad was really tall. He had a small red car and I remember when he drove he kind of leaned over the steering wheel. I am sure my child imagination/,memory exaggerated the image but he looked kind of like a fish hook to me… completely uncomfortable but they were not wealthy and felt fortunate to have two cars, this car and a blue and brown mini-van.

I’m 6’8" (3’3" in the legs) and the last time I went to buy a car my only criteria was if I could fit. I don’t drive enough to warrant the expense of a SUV, so back in 2014 I pretty much went to dealer after dealer trying every sedan/hatchback model on their lot. None fit, invariably causing surprise from the salespeople, who, before me entering a car, assured me that it was suitable for people of my height. It never was since a recent trend in car design is having these huge center consoles sticking out of the dashboard.

Either my knee jammed between said console and the steering wheel, or I had to push the chair so far back I could no longer comfortably reach the steering wheel.

So now I drive a Skoda Citigo, which is basically a telephone booth on wheels. Yet it fits because it doesn’t have a center console (my previous car didn’t have one of those either). It also does 42 mpg and was so cheap that even all-risk insurance for it is a trifle.

So basically, there’s plenty of room for tall people to fit in the smallest sort of cars provided the interior design accounts for it. Usually it doesn’t.

Seems to have a center console, at least in some models.

It does have one. But it’s small and recessed. The sort I have trouble with is elevated crap like this.

If you need to stick your knee between that and the steering wheel… it doesn’t work. And a lot of models have similar consoles.

Yeah, makes sense. I love that Mercedes center console design, though, and really like that style (the Audis do it too, and even my Golf). But, I’m 5’7" on a good day. I can see how the leggy ones among us might find that off-putting. The old days of Chevy Bel Airs and all–rear-wheel drive, so no front hump, is one reason–had open air across the front of the car below the dash, often.

Jesus. THAT’S the interior of your Skoda Citigo?!?
Does not resolve with the photos @YakAttack posted up there. Hell, I’d drive that car with an interior like that!

nm
I see I did not read carefully enough. I got distracted by the picture.
edit: And further in my defense, the emblem on the steering wheel is barely visible at that angle.
edit 2: Actually, looking at the interior of the actual Citigo, it’s not that bad. I kinda dig it.

My first car, a 1967 Ford Galaxie 500 fastback with 390:

Except mine was Frost Turquoise Metallic.
My interior looked like this (yep, 3-on-the-tree and actual cranks on the vent windows!) edit: That’s actually an automatic pictured here:

I had no idea this interior was even a thing. I’d have killed for that!

Sorry. The nostalgia. It gets me sometimes.

There is a certain aesthetic appeal of these old cars, for sure. I would not want to actually drive one any more, though. I hated three on the tree, for instance. Ugh.