Forgotten files and abandoned awesomeness

Some people were commenting in the Stellaris thread about Sword of the Stars, so I figured I’d post a tech tree that’s vanished from the Internet when Rorshach’s wiki shifted to Paradox’s site. Please note, I’m not the author. I also thought this likely isn’t the only item that’s faded into the ether, so a topic to hold these things might be good.

I’ve got a whole folder full of “hilarious” images from the first forum I was really active on, Infoceptor back in the late 90s/early 00s. I’m positive some of them no longer exist on the net in any useful form, but I am also positive that isn’t a net loss for society.

Having seen a bit of that back in the day, you’re probably not wrong, lol.

this post reminds me of the awesome of SoTS …and how bad its sequel was :(

Thanks for the SotS Tech Tree, Dan.

One thing I could never find on-line that I really needed is the manual for Rules of Engagement 2. The manual for the first game is out there but the one for the second game is nowhere to be found.

Hah, I have that image saved somewhere. Ah, the memories. Thanks for sharing!

I present to you:

259 pages! I remember loving the idea of that game more than the actual play. Once a battle started it was total chaos.

Many thanks! I do wish I could download it without having to create an account there but at least you can read it online.

Just happy to help!

An old, abandoned (and off Steamworks) mod for Civ 5, turning every world wonder–including those added by mods—into national wonders… really designed for those ready to throw their mice at their screens when beaten to a wonder:

<GameData>
	<BuildingClasses>
		<Update>
			<Set MaxPlayerInstances="1"/>
			<Where MaxGlobalInstances="1"/>
		</Update>
		<Update>
			<Set MaxGlobalInstances="-1"/>
			<Where MaxGlobalInstances="1" MaxPlayerInstances="1"/>
		</Update>
	</BuildingClasses>
</GameData>

Same here. Big manuals were poured over and were an extension onto the game itself in a way that drew me in even more. “Here’s an awesome game. And here’s a book about the awesome game when you’re not playing the awesome game.”