former eBay CEO Meg Whitman is running a penny bids (Quibi) site?

We’ve been working through the Corner Gas series, and Quibi has advertised a LOT on there.

I have zero interest in watching TV on my phone. Non-starter for me. And I expect the service to be belly-up within a few months. I just can’t see this monetizing.

I agree with your prediction, but it’s pretty clear that their audience is primarily millenials and younger who have moved away from TVs and, from what I understand, consume most of their media on smaller screens. My nephew who is 21 is definitely like this. I don’t think he’s watched TV since he got his first phone ~10 years ago.

Ok Boomer!
Whats a TV?

Quibi is all:

I hadn’t even heard of Quibi until today when I found out they are bringing Reno 911 back. Woot.

or Facebook, or TikTok, or Instagram or Hulu

I have no interest in the product but being at home a lot lately (imagine that) I have seen a lot of TV and youtube and they are advertising a lot.

Wait, their shows won’t even display on a regular screen? That seems…misguided.

I think either they will go out of business or add TV apps. It’s silly to have a service focused on outside the home video watching when nobody is leaving their homes.

Even once that’s resolved, I guess I don’t get it. I already have Youtube on my phone, which has more short content I want to watch than I could possibly see in two lifetimes.

And also, Youtube is free.

If this is aimed at young people, they will sit on a couch in front of the TV and watch content on a phone instead. I’ve seen it over and over. And short episodes fits them. They want to be switching back and forth between apps, texting, etc., all the time. Now, with people stuck inside, may be an ideal time to launch it.

Also, can’t I watch it on my iPad? Or does it somehow know and prevent that?

My guess is it won’t be successful because it’s a crowded market, but some of the basic ideas seem sound to me.

Yeah, this is a tough hurdle.

They’ve had a whole week to get established so it’s completely fair to judge them on their lack of content.

How is a content producer supposed to get established without content?

I like how this reviewer is so unhinged he even hates the pasta guy. And then admits he likes some of the shows at the end.

I wonder how long it’ll take before people realize you aren’t actually expected to only watch shows on your commute and in line.

I signed up for the 90 day free trial.

I’m not against the format, but for a monthly sub, they better have a bunch of content I’d enjoy.

I watched the 7 short episodes of the Flipped comedy w/ Will Forte. It was… Ok. There is absolutely nothing else in their lineup I have any interest for even a ‘quick bite’, so I pre-emptively cancelled after the trial.

Heh, not that this was a bizarre prediction, but yeah.

I just don’t see how they can hope to sustain a subscription model (with ads!) with a tiny fraction of the budget of their competitors and zero back catalogue. Even if the stuff they’ve bought is amazing (and to my tastes it sounds terrible, but this isn’t aimed at me), they’re going to run out of content extremely quickly. It’s the AppleTV+ problem all over again, but even more so, given that Apple has so many more cross-selling/user acquisition advantages. Not to mention the cash to compete if they choose to.

The first show ended today, of the ones I was watching, and it was bizarre and anticlimactic and only the tenth episode. The entire series was only about 77 minutes long. Not a habit-forming move. And it wasn’t a good surprise ending, either.

The ad market has collapsed in general so I don’t see this lasting.

My understanding of the platform from an interview on Marketplace was that they were going to be developing content almost “just in time” so that they could be very flexible and have a constant stream of new content. That proves to be a problem when there’s a global pandemic and nobody can produce new shows.

This thing is such a massive fail.

They’re already exploring making Roku and SmartTV apps for Quibi, because who could’ve foreseen that excluding a big chunk of a market was a terrible strategy?