Forspoken - Fantasy Control

I give them props for having a demo but they lose them for asking $70 for a 12-hour game.

I tried the demo. 4k, dlss quality, all maxed, around 75 fps. The direct Storage feature works, if you skip the logos and click continue, it only needs 3 seconds to load, and that’s on my mediocre ssd, not in a nice samsung one.

Speaking of mediocre, that’s what the combat is! :P Enemies are mindless, their design is boring, it doesn’t seem to have a lot of variety (human enemies, human zombies, corrupted animal like deers or winged harpies), the magic is very spammy.

Also tried the demo… Hmm. If it came to Gamepass I’d maybe check the full thing out. Demos are cool.

I lasted 17 minutes in the demo before getting overwhelming desire to uninstall this blandness.

And if I was Ella Balinska I would sue them for mangling my good looks.

obrazek

It’s extremely lazy criticism and definitely feels like shorthand for “I want to condemn something without articulating why it’s bad.” The way it’s used you’d think Marvel invented the action comedy, and Whedon invented jokes.

It’s indiscriminately applied to things with vastly different tones and styles of writing. This came up a bunch with Ragnarök, and the writing in that is nothing like an MCU movie. Horizon got it too, which is weird because Aloy is a painfully earnest character, and the furthest thing from the “snark” factory people are claiming is the problem.

I appreciate Austin Walker actually trying to explore what bothers him, but I think his premise is false, and he’s still looking at clips completely out of context.

Yay for Directstorage making a strong debut.

Only part of directstorage too, from what I read it doesn’t use the GPU texture decompression stuff, which is the cool part.

Good to see that unlike the vast majority of Windows gaming features directstorage isn’t complete laughable bullshit.

Oof. Alex no like :)

DirectStorage stuff interesting at least.

Love the end of that video :)

DirectStorage might revolutionize gaming.

Certain things would certainly be able to change significantly if loading speeds weren’t a concern. But so far, at least on PS5, it just continues to make me smile every time a game loads in just a few seconds with loading screens being hardly anything.

Folks have no idea how awesome zero load time is until they experience it every day and have to go back for some reason.

When I for some reason boot up one of my old legacy machines being used for some bizarre purpose or whatever, the shock and horror of a boot up sequence using a traditional hard drive is mind-numbing.

I play a lot of old stuff on consoles and the load times on CD/DVD stuff is definitely a shock when you haven’t been back to say a PlayStation 2 in awhile. Cartridge games are thankfully quick.

I have a 13 year old Intel Core i7 860 PC I still use pretty often with a GTX970 in it that has an SSD and it’s surprisingly snappy for gaming. I’ve been playing WH40K: Space Marine on there recently.

But nothing compares to the PS5. It’s like cartridge gaming with modern graphics.

It’s not a panacea. Loading times on Ragnarok are weirdly long, and of course it’s full of those narrow passages.

Amused this is around 50th on Steam’s US bestseller list. I was never sure why it got so much coverage.

It’s from squeenix and looks pretty?

Has anyone on Qt3 bought this?

I don’t think anyone here has bought this.

I’m mad at them for messing this up. I really enjoy some “Isekai” animes, and ordinary people ending up in a fantasy world is a genre with so much potential for fun. The only games I’ve played that did it are… Brutal Legend, I guess? That game was a lot of fun. And Assassin’s Creed, kind of? That’s less of a Fantasy world, more historical though.

Does Cutter Slade count?

I tried it, mainly because of the title of this thread. I loved Control, and I’m even okay with occasional fantasy! Sign me up! But the opening bits, which take place in a modern city, are so clumsy and overwrought that I had no desire to see where the game went. So as far as I’m concerned, Forspoken is about some boring lady who lives in a city and never does anything.