Forspoken - Fantasy Control

Seriously who likes seeing damage numbers, ugh.

I’m sold!

Are the visuals less stunning with Nvidia?

I’m not sure where you and Scott Lufkin get the idea that I think games shouldn’t have accessibility settings, but if it’s something I said or wrote, I can assure you you’re misinterpreting it. I can’t even imagine what you might be thinking of, but for the record, I support accessibility settings in games.

Me, sorry. In many games, it’s a critical component in feedback. It doesn’t have to be that way, some games do well without. But 99/100 times, I’m turning it on. :)

I wasn’t aware things like automatically rotate through your attacks when they go on cool down was under the accessibility menu, but it seemed like the kind of thing where the designers are putting the design of the game into the players hands instead of making a decision either way and sticking with it. It is interesting that some of these things that used to get more criticism will now get less because they’re not in the gameplay menu but the accessibility menu. I think in one way, they were always accessibility options even in the old days, but not necessarily for disabled gamers, just gamers with different preferences.

Nevertheless, I apologize for “putting words in your mouth”, so to speak.

One side-effect of these kinds of things getting moved from the gameplay menu to the accessibility menu is that I no longer look use them, since I don’t look in that menu, generally. I need to learn to start doing so, I suppose.

A huge map with not many interesting places to look at. :|
Repetitive checklist asking to be checked off. D:

An interesting read

The big issue with the writing, it’s how the protagonist hates being in that fantasy world, and it doesn’t want to be there at all, and laughs at everything that is too fantastic. Which… it is realistic, right, of course she wants to return to Earth, like anyone in her place!
But from a player perspective, we want to be IN that fantasy world! (or otherwise you wouldn’t have bought the game) We are in for the ride of magical queens with weird getups, etc. So there is this constant dissonance between the hero and the player.

Additionally, if what I saw in the videos is accurate, the real world the protagonist leaves behind is, well, pretty awful. As odd and dangerous as the fantasy world is, you could certainly make a case that it is preferable to the the concrete jungle/urban hellscape she left behind.

There’s destined to be a lot of piling on here. TBH I didn’t find tbt dialog to be that bad.

If there’s a real issue it’s imo the deeper underlying one about how games are made, and in this case it looks more like they made a weird Japanese-ish game and then slapped some narrative on top of the game design at some point. People complain how little consideration voice actors get but actually in many cases the whole narrative, writing and story seems slapped on as well, to feed big developer teams that can crank out games and need things to do less the inspiration to do them. There’s almost certainly something like that going on in the Ubisoft games whose narratives seem to run out of steam as they go on.

That the character here never evolves or changes seems as much some function of how the dev is pushing narrative “production” than anything. Do the writers even know the overall story? Are they just cranking out bits and vignettes that keep getting cycled in?

PC demo supposed to come out today.

What you’re saying isn’t usually an issue in Japanese games, traditionally, I don’t think. Maybe more of an expert can weigh in, but I always view Japanese “directors” of games are there specifically to avoid this kind of thing, to steer the ship so that a game is a auteur’s vision, rather than just a production with bits and bobs subbed in and taken out.

For Ubisoft, before they ran into trouble recently, I would say their decade plus of successfully making large open world games was successful precisely because they had these grand presentations in their E3 press conferences where they would present a grand vision for each game. I always felt like that big introduction was as much for the large production teams as it was for the public, to show them the idea that they’re all coalescing around. Maybe that’s what’s missing lately. Their last couple of not-E3 presentations have been lacking.

I will give Square Enix something: usually is super rare to make games for AAA games, even more for one that is having a so-so hype cycle, and here they are with a demo that was available in ps5 weeks before the launch, and now a pc demo too.

What I’d like to know is whether this characterization actually appeals to anyone enough to purchase and enjoy the game. It seems to have its defenders in a vacuum (“OMG this is totally relatable!”) but does anyone want to consume this writing?

It’s an honest question. I’m trying to set my expectations for a new wave of post-cringe writing or whatever you want to call it. After growing up in the ironic generation, I was really enjoying the earnest generation we had. I guess everything is cyclical.

Something that irks me is how some people is throwing this game, and GotG, and Uncharted, and Marvel movies, and whatever else in the same bag of ‘whedonesque dialogue’ or quip or snark-laden dialogue, as if all were more or less equivalent. Some people really doesn’t understand why x (ie, this game) is exemplified as bad when you have the same shit in the latest MCU movie where people like it.

That’s only the overall style, but even inside the style of ‘whedonesque dialogue’ (sic, I doubt he really invented it), there will be still bad whedon dialogue, decent whedon dialogue and good whedon dialogue. Saying it it’s all the same it’s a very surface level reading.

Yeah that was a point that fell flat to me. The comparison to Spiderman laughing at Doc Ock’s name doesn’t work because in that case they’re showing that they don’t take themselves too seriously. It’s almost a way to unlock the sincerity because everyone can acknowledge it’s silly and we’re going in anyway.

I give them props for having a demo but they lose them for asking $70 for a 12-hour game.

I tried the demo. 4k, dlss quality, all maxed, around 75 fps. The direct Storage feature works, if you skip the logos and click continue, it only needs 3 seconds to load, and that’s on my mediocre ssd, not in a nice samsung one.

Speaking of mediocre, that’s what the combat is! :P Enemies are mindless, their design is boring, it doesn’t seem to have a lot of variety (human enemies, human zombies, corrupted animal like deers or winged harpies), the magic is very spammy.

Also tried the demo… Hmm. If it came to Gamepass I’d maybe check the full thing out. Demos are cool.