Fortnite - A New Game by Epic

Is there a way to craft items between missions? I always feel rushed during multiplayer - way before I’ve explored and gotten resources, much less done any building or crafting, someone has already started the fighting and I’m running across the map to try to get there in time to help.

Load your home base, once on that map you can craft and equip stuff from your inventory.

Also you can go back to previous areas you beat and just harvest / explore for loot.

Please add me to your friend lists, I am codinghorror… I also have XP boosts, yo!

• These maps are a goddamn delight to explore. Whatever they did to make procedurally generated maps fun and interesting, it worked. When I’m having so much fun harvesting bullshit elements to make stuff, I have to stop and reflect.

• The in-game building interface is also top notch, borderline a joy to use.

• The whole thing reminds me of a building toolkit used to make games, which was also seamlessly used to make the game itself, and the game becomes inherently destruct… ible as well as construct… ible. It’s all very valve-esque and ouroboros.

One valid criticism: they indeed went a bit nuts with the progression systems, which are in a word, overwhelming. Yo dawg I herd you liek progression, so we put progression in your progression…

All the variety in cars is fun. They have historic cars, muscle cars, cool cars. They come from different eras from kind of fit in this cartoon universe.

Sometimes you enter a shop, and theres a glorious variety of cool gadgets and elements filling the store. That you may search for resources or pickaxe, but is glorious for the eyes.

About difficulty, I am not a fan of fighting imposible odds. I like turret defenses games when you do nothing, the defenses do it everything. But this is not that type of game. But since you can always grind and return more powerful, is not a problem. I will probably grind easier zones more than other people.

After unlocking the 2th skill tree… wow, simply wow. There are many things here that would make the game really fun. That slowdown area for ninjas, the drone that defend a area for 30 seconds, the flag that repair buildings. So much to unlock!.

I like that they make a game where numbers go up. Us gamers are simple creatures, we like numbers getting bigger, this game deliver that.

It kind of seems that using your xp is always a good idea (or almost always) since if you break a green item with a lot of xp in it, you get most xp, so you can use that xp in a purple version of the same object. You may “invest” your xp too quick if you want it to progress your main hero, but other than that seems expending is a good idea.

I made this weekend some absolutelly crazy base for the “defend the rocket” mission. I got inspiration from Terraria… I basically made a “boss fight pit arena”.

I play on the PS4 and I am starting to see some some social problems with the game. You kind of spend your own resources to defend the base. But if people don’t want to help. You are the only one building and crafting stuff. I would love if after the map ends the things you crafted would return to the inventory. Or you where reinvorsed in some way. It seems to me like the economy is pit against builders somehow.

I know the game is fun, but I don’t know how fun it will be long term. Being supergrindy is a thing that get into the skin of people. Not just grind, a game can be hours long… that I appreciate. It somewhat feels like Dungeon Defenders but one where you have to mine half the castle for resources to build the defenses.

Theres really much more creativity potential in this game than in the ones like minecraft (!!?!). The stairs alone is deceitful simple thing. Love the system, simple enough I can build a ramp without slowing down while running around exploring, complex enough I can build some interesting stuff.

Oh man I had no idea you could do this and was getting increasingly frustrated at having to only manage my inventory while on a mission, backpack always full, making spur-of-the-moment decisions about what to keep.

Really enjoying this so far.

So… you can load your shield base with any character. Maybe build the base with a defender, and when you actually plays the defense, use something like a ninja or a soldier. Maybe kinda makes more sense to play a ninja, since it would be easier to get into the enemy horde and kill a witch, and return unscared, and moving up/down levels in your own base without using stairs. The changes you do to a base are permanent, you add something, quit, and the next time you load the map are there. Only weapons you drop vanish.

So, did you all purchase the game at the games own site? I don’t see any other places to do so?

I did.

I’m glad that people are digging this game, I had a lot of fun with it throughout the alphas. Looking forward to finally diving back in now that progress isn’t getting wiped every major update! :)

I think I’m Tubchops on Epic, if anyone would like to add me to their friends list.

OK, so I plan on playing and either streaming or recording tonight. Who’s with me!!! Let’s get a good party going and stomp some content!!#@!#@!#!@#!

So, what’s the balance in importance between the base/trap building and the active combat? I watched a bit of Tom’s stream and it seemed like the combat was everything. Is it possible to build well enough that the defences take out the zombies on their own? How persistent is what you build?

I heard that the first map is a extended tutorial and nothing matter much, but in the second area things gets a bit messy without good defenses. But people that have played the alphas know better.

I’m in.

You need a mix of both, but if you have more people the importance of traps lessens. I don’t know if Tom was playing with others and what tier of difficulty he was in, but things vary widely based on that.

In terms of persistence, while you’re out in a mission everything is temporary. You want to use as few traps/resources as possible to complete the mission objective. For your main base, the defense missions tend to be much more difficult and it will be persistent through many defenses, so I tend to load up very heavily on defenses here. Some of the later base defense missions were brutally hard when I played in the alpha.

Thanks for hanging out and helping.

Shield expansion 1 was def soloable, expansion 2 was a bit harder. I need to start using some traps.

Thanks @wumpus !!
I’ve added all people thus far
(here’s the list)

rick face
lordkosc
bovril666
monofurioso
BanzaiWanderer
triggercut
kono1134
SirLoinsteak66
Lord_Pall
Tubchops
Trip Top Slake
ducker_3

Hopefully will be able to catch up with some of you all later tonight!

I am in Jason, what time?

Also @ducker , add me (lordkosc) to the list and McMaster (Rick Face)

When I get home I’ll probably chill for a few minutes and do some stuff. Maybe around 6 central?

You left me out! Trip Top Slake.