Fortnite - A New Game by Epic

I tried it last night. The game crashed on me at the end of the match. :/

Hmmmm… shrub assault looks fantastic. I like they are trying something with 50v50, with forts on both sides, imagine some capture the flag!

Man, that mode looks like a lot of fun. It’s the large teams that make building worthwile.

Loaded this up in Xbox. I’ve never played an H1Z1 clone before so it’s all new to me. I played 3 games. Died about ten seconds after landing each time. Maybe I should be watching for other gliders following me down?

Looks fun though. Will need to scoot closer to the TV and try again.

Yeah 50 v 50 is … interesting.

A lot of it seems to hinge on one team or the other getting a sizable numeric advantage early on and then rolling through as an overwhelming force. It is important to bunch up with allies before the scales tip too far against you. Once it’s 2:1 (say 25 vs 13) you are basically done. Look for the green arrows, those are allies, you can’t tell who is an ally until you land from the drop though so be careful.

It relaxes the requirement that you stay with your team – as long as you have allies nearby, you’re good, or can be pretty sure there are not enemies nearby. So the tension is reduced a bit too.

Theres something going on with Epic.

Paying customers have lot of lag problems that PvP players don’t have.

They seems to be prioritizing the PvP players over their paying customers.

Fortnite has a PVE mode?

/sadface

I’m been trying out the new BR here and there. I haven’t gone back in to the PvE side in a while lately (but I want to soon as it is fun - just too repetitive/grindy … want too much small little things that all need to be leveled up)

They monetized the hell out of the PvP side… wow! They must be seeing some $$ from that side for the amount of effort they have put in to attempting to capitalize revenue there.

We all are honorary members of a elite squad of soldiers / outlanders / engineers saving humanity.

Look in your arm, that tatto says “Shield Defense Squad”.

We are here to help humanity, not to fight among ourselves.

I have not played fortnite in several months. I have no interest in PvP, so this new mode is worthless to me. I gave them tuns of feedback on the grindy nature on Fortnite, yet nothing has been done about it.

It is really sad, because at its core, fortnite is a great idea. It just has an epically bad progression system. They really need to take their entire progression system and throw it in a fire and start over.

If they monetize the PvE game, it should be done via aesthetic choices you can make. For example, I think you should start off with 1 character slot, and you can customize the avatar any way you like (skin color, clothing choices, shape / size, etc…).

For some small amount of money you can buy a whole wardrobe set, ie: The surfer set which has a whole bunch of beach wear clothing and accessory choices. You could have many such sets, such as the city worker set (fireman, police man, EMT, construction worker, etc…), military set, formal ware set, etc… You could also sell extra character slots too.

The progression should be a simple skill system where each level you get 1 point to spend. You have several trees to pick from and you just pick and choose perks as you desire.

Then just get rid of the grind and have your survivors do something interesting like produce resources and built stuff for you.

For like… the 4th time. :)

Were the others this bad? I know you gave me a brief description of a previous one and it didn’t sound half bad.

At this stage do they even care about the PvE mode?

My guess is early access sales of the PvE mode have dried up, so they are following the cash cow that is PvP.

They were, yeah. In some ways they were the same general idea, just implemented in an even worse way.

One aspect that I did enjoy and that I wish they brought back was the idea where you were building a town. It made Survivors a lot more understandable, because they had context. You had a town, and you built a Hospital, and so when you find a Doctor you want to put her in charge of the Hospital. The hospital building had a certain number of slots for workers, so you wanted to assign her help based on matching personality/traits. It’s functionally not any different than Survivor Squads now, but the context sure made it a lot more intuitive and concrete.

The biggest complaint I can put on their skill tree system right now is that there’s no actual decisions being made. You can’t focus on one particular area, because you’re gated either by quest progress or filling out nearly the entire skill page before you can progress on to the next. It’s terrible, because your’e not customizing anything, you’re just grinding through the entire page.

Anyway, none of the skill tree systems have been good. This one is in some ways better than some in the past (some previous skill tree “pages” were literally just a straight line with maybe one or two 1-point options sticking out at certain points).

I’ve always had hope for Fortnite because while the dev team has always been glacially slow, you could at least see they were responsive to feedback – especially on the surveys they would send out. When they launched the PVP mode I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but it really seems like the success of it may have sucked all the oxygen from the room, which sucks. I have no interest in Fortnite PVP.

I’m pretty sure this is the case. They’ve got kids playing the game now specifically because of the PvP.

They do, they put a lot of developer love into events. Not so much (visible) into finishing the game, but the events are amazing.

If the PvP is used to subsidize the PvE that’s fine. But they also need to fix their shit on the design side, I think Fortnite is a really fun (if unchallenging) PvE game for about one week then it gets repetitive as all hell.

“Hide” should be the name of this horrible game. Every game is the same, whoever hides best wins. Waste of time.

Sort of, but not exactly. You can definitely get closer to the end by hiding, but the other people who did kill opponents will have much better scavenged weapons, supplies, and more ammo.