Fortnite - A New Game by Epic

But once it hits F2P, I see no downside releasing it on Steam, its just too huge of a player base to ignore.

Exactly, just all the networking between friends… oh… Lordkosc is playing Fortnite? Hm, I wonder what that is… oh it’s F2P and has good ratings, I’ll check it out.

I just hit the second region after doing the Van or Astro Van with three others. The difficulty definitely ramps up a little toward the last few quests. It’s not what I’d call hard, but I also didn’t feel like we could just slap down a low wall and shoot everything with level 5 green guns and get through it, either.

This was my second attempt at V or AV. The first one I helped build a giant metal wall around the rocket, only for the client to crash right after the mission started, costing me a ton of hard-won metal scrap.

I can see all the flaws everyone talks about, but for whatever reason, this really works for me. I like the ez-coop. I like the bite-sized chunks. I like building forts and placing traps and the shooting feels fine.

I can see the grind coming, though. Everything in zone 2 is twice as expensive. Is it 3x or 4x in zone 3? At that point, I expect the missions run/advancement ratio gets mighty large, which could well doom it for me (or others), but for now, still fun.

While I am sure Steam’s install base is alluring, having to pay 30% to Valve for every sweet sweet micro-transaction is not. That is one reason I see them not wanting to make the game available on Steam.

I assumed that micro transactions occurred on the back end that Steam had nothing to do with, and therefore received no profit from. Maybe it doesn’t work that way.

I am fairly certain that if your game is on Steam, players (running the executable that Steam distributes) have to make microtransactions purchases via the Steam wallet and thus Valve gets their cut. That is how it has worked with every F2P game I have played on Steam.

Correct. This was the basis of the EA/Steam split. Valve mandated that you have to offer the DLC via Steam if you sell the game on Steam. EA decided to go their own way.

So apparently if the game crashes in a mission where you have defenders deployed, you lose everything they have equipped. So i just lost a legendary gun and two other rare guns. Also a few thousand ammo. Joy.

I cannot figure out a good way to use defenders. Can you offer pro Tips?

My thinking is snipers with heavy ammo exclusively since I have a ton of it. They can’t run through it that fast either.

Also: brawlers, no ammo needed.

I’m still in the first area, so take it with a grain of salt, but…

I don’t have any good shotgunners or brawlers, so i can’t really speak for them.

I’ve found gunslingers and riflemen very effective. In all cases you want to put them above the enemy. Gunslingers mostly on the 2nd floor only, but riflemen could go to a third floor (mostly just second floor too but slightly further back if needed if you want to cover more area).

Snipers are a mixed bag. I generally find them less useful than the other classes on away missions but they are pretty good on stormshield missions where you need to defend a large area. Maybe later missions will change that if they become bigger. It probably goes without saying, but always build a tower for your sniper.

Defenders are FRAGILE as hell. For riflemen and gunslingers, you must put down a fence in front of them and a roof above their head or they will die fast. For snipers, if they are high enough and you have a closer range defender, generally they are fine, but you might want to be careful anyway.

As far as ammo goes, you’re just going to need to give them ammo. Even with an assault rifle, my riflemen didn’t go crazy with her ammo, mostly taking controlled bursts. I didn’t bother to see what would happen with a machine gun though. If you give them 1k ammo and they are not using something like an automatic pistol, they are probably more than fine.

Defenders are bad. My long term plan is to build a list of people that play the game and get them to help me base defenses. My medium term plan is to use a mele defender protected by walls and traps on two walls, perhaps protecting a door. My short term plan is to not use them at all because are bad.

Defenders suck, they SUCK. Why must I give them a gun and ammo every single time. Just remember the shit gun and ammo I gave you last time I had a home base defense mission…

I haven’t used defenders, except once. They are a PITA to use and the battle front switches between rounds. You are only given a few seconds so there is no way to undeploy and redeploy them easily.

My strategy for my home base is between other missions is to spend my resources upgrading it. I have the level 6 storm shield mission to do, but I keep skipping it until I get some solid defenses built at the new site. The last time on level 5, no one joined my defense and I barely pulled it off.
It also seems that traps to not reset charges between missions. If that really ends up being the case, it will almost be a show stopper.

Resource grinds suck. Speaking of them, I have an land expedition that is finished, but I do not know how to collect the resources. When I log in and look, it just says 1 expedition is done. I can’t launch another one. I have no idea on what screen I need to go to and what to click on to collect the expedition so I can send out another one.

I still kind of like the game and Ill give it more time, but the grind potential is quite extreme. Even though I have the level 3 of mining (whatever it is that lets you smash objects for resources) and still its not fast enough. Maybe if I could on-shot any item it would be decent considering the huge amount of iron and bricks I go through to upgrade my home base.

I’ve had good luck with melee defenders fwiw.

If anyone still needs a copy on xb1 I still have one more for sale

Will defenders use healing pads?

Same here. I also have a quest to complete an expedition which won’t go away. Presumably there’s a button somewhere to collect the fruits of the expedition, but it’s not on the expedition page and it’s not on the loot page.

I was able to collect my expedition rewards without issue, but I don’t remember what screen it was. I’ll try to remember to check when I finish up at the office.

I’ve had the expeditions hang before. Typically I went and did something else for a bit and when I went back - possibly after relogging? - they’d complete no problem.

Has anyone played an outlander for gathering purposes? What really is the difference between using them or another class. The wiki just says they are more efficient and can find treasure more easily.

I play mostly outlander. One of the bonuses you can get is to do 12% more damage per strike to objects. You can slot that hero into your hero squad to get that bonus.

They also get perks that help find lootable containers and treasure chests.

Oh, and they can use certain power points to summon a llama you smash with your pick axes to make tons of stuff fly out, though most of it is common.