Fortnite - A New Game by Epic

What are those red skull encampments for / like on missions? I have never seen a group mess with them. I have never gotten too close.

Without having played the game, I’d think the obvious way to do this would be to require some of the new thingy you are going to ended for crafting in order to actually make the upgrade. So, if you’d never seen malachite, you couldn’t screw yourself, because you’d need one to do it. And in any game, needing a resource you’ve never seen is a big red flag, both as a warning, and as a call to look out for that thing.

They should also let you craft lower tiers of items. So you made you upgraded your weapon to silver, but you don’t have any. You can still craft the copper type.

In practice I haven’t really found that to be an issue. If you’re in an area that drops a lot of silver (Plankerton instead of Stonewood, for example) you’re not going to be wanting to craft copper weapons anyway. Just use a blue or a green schematic.

E: I should say, use a blue or green schematic that doesn’t require that ingredient.

E2: Nevermind. Looking through my schematics right now, seems like they’ve made it so most of your weapons are going to require it. It used to be only the higher end stuff that did, although they did make copper/silver a lot more common (especially with Expeditions). So yeah I think you’re right, DeepT, allowing you to make a copper one in a pinch would be useful. I know I would usually refrain from evolving all my schematics when moving into an new area in the alpha, but it could be a new player trap.

I don’t know how to describe it. They just don’t feel satisfying to me. When I play something like Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2, or heck even something like the latest CoD, firing a weapon puts me very much in the moment. Not so with Fortnite. I just feel disconnected.

I will agree that the second area is were the game properly starts.

On some weapons, there is an attribute which changes the damage type to something like water. It then says more effective against fire, but less effective against nature…

Are there elemental enemies in this game? I have not run into any.

There are. They show up later.

Feel free to add me: mobius42

Still in the first zone taking my time.

Do you recommend elemental weapons or just to avoid the ability or does it really matter?

I didn’t have a ton of experience fighting against them. In the alpha they didn’t show up until the third region, and they did their routine character wipe shortly after I got there. They seem to have moved up monster introductions in the EA release, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re in Plankerton now.

From my limited experience, elemental weapons seemed REALLY nice to have against elemental enemies. You’d probably want to have a couple (a water and a fire or something like that), but I only have an impression to offer, not real solid advice. :)

Any general advice for not sucking on combat? Early on, I was a consistent top scorer. Then I started lagging behind. Now its like everyone has 1.5x my score most of the time. I level up and evolve my weapons. I have my survivors slotted, although leveling up only provides a very small boost in stats.

Edit:
Maybe I just am missing something about how combat score works. I just finished a mission, had platinum everything. Took on a whole front (side) of monster. Killed shit-tons of stuff. My score was like 960. The next lowest was like 1500 and the top 2 were over 2000 each.

Is this in Plankerton? It very well just might be that they have more base power.

Yes it was in Plankerton. What does base power have to do with combat score?

I don’t know what all goes into the calculation for combat score, but I’m making the assumption the number of kills factors into it. If they are higher base power, they’re likely killing faster/more. If it takes you 8 bullets to drop a husk when it takes only 4 for them, they’re going to be killing a lot more and it might show up in those numbers at the end.

The game concepts remain the same from Stonewood to Plankerton so if you noticed a drop off in combat score in relation to others it’s likely just down to relative firepower rather than you doing anything wrong.

I’m kind of pushing the edge of my capabilities in Plankerton right now as well and i think I’ve seen a similar drop off in combat score (I honestly don’t pay too close of attention to it) but instead of being the big fish in Stonewood I’m playing with some much more established Plankerton players. I’m usually the lowest or one of the lowest in terms of base power. I’ve had to stop just hitting Play on my quest progression and run more manageable missions, because I have access to areas a few power levels above me now and it can get pretty rough if I end up with a group of similarly underpowered players. Bullet sponges are not kind to my weapon durability. :)

I was wondering if I was just doing something fundamentally wrong. I wonder if traps are part of it. IE: If I put down a trap, do I “own” it and if I own it, does i’ts kills count toward my score?

That is a great question. I mean, you get poitns for putting down the trap. but do you get points for your trap killing stuff? hrmm…

I would imagine trap kills count.

I’m pretty sure they do. I think I’ve watched the count go up, in fact.

By the way, if anyone knows someone that is still looking to buy the game, I have a couple Standard edition keys than I’m parting with for $25. I’ll throw in a $5 coupon if you’re a Qt3 patron! ;)

Kill counts? Is there a way to see more detailed combat statistics? I just see the overall score and only at the end of the match.

Id also love to see a test run for home base invasions. It is really annoying when the monsters come for a completely different way then you expected and your traps and stuff are useless.