Fortnite - A New Game by Epic

At this stage do they even care about the PvE mode?

My guess is early access sales of the PvE mode have dried up, so they are following the cash cow that is PvP.

They were, yeah. In some ways they were the same general idea, just implemented in an even worse way.

One aspect that I did enjoy and that I wish they brought back was the idea where you were building a town. It made Survivors a lot more understandable, because they had context. You had a town, and you built a Hospital, and so when you find a Doctor you want to put her in charge of the Hospital. The hospital building had a certain number of slots for workers, so you wanted to assign her help based on matching personality/traits. It’s functionally not any different than Survivor Squads now, but the context sure made it a lot more intuitive and concrete.

The biggest complaint I can put on their skill tree system right now is that there’s no actual decisions being made. You can’t focus on one particular area, because you’re gated either by quest progress or filling out nearly the entire skill page before you can progress on to the next. It’s terrible, because your’e not customizing anything, you’re just grinding through the entire page.

Anyway, none of the skill tree systems have been good. This one is in some ways better than some in the past (some previous skill tree “pages” were literally just a straight line with maybe one or two 1-point options sticking out at certain points).

I’ve always had hope for Fortnite because while the dev team has always been glacially slow, you could at least see they were responsive to feedback – especially on the surveys they would send out. When they launched the PVP mode I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but it really seems like the success of it may have sucked all the oxygen from the room, which sucks. I have no interest in Fortnite PVP.

I’m pretty sure this is the case. They’ve got kids playing the game now specifically because of the PvP.

They do, they put a lot of developer love into events. Not so much (visible) into finishing the game, but the events are amazing.

If the PvP is used to subsidize the PvE that’s fine. But they also need to fix their shit on the design side, I think Fortnite is a really fun (if unchallenging) PvE game for about one week then it gets repetitive as all hell.

“Hide” should be the name of this horrible game. Every game is the same, whoever hides best wins. Waste of time.

Sort of, but not exactly. You can definitely get closer to the end by hiding, but the other people who did kill opponents will have much better scavenged weapons, supplies, and more ammo.

“Sort of, but not exactly…” My time is worth more. Wasted money.

No really. If you don’t play more aggressively, you will not have a shield and then will lose any 1vs1 encounter against somebody with a shield.

Hiding can get you to the end, but will not make you win normally.

Also theres nothing bad with hiding. When I was 9 years old, I use to play “hide and seek” with friends. You say “hide” like is a bad word.

LOL, yep, I love “hide and seek”, but this game is not it.

EDIT: You guys really like this game? Wow!

Well, a shitload of people like battle royale as a game mode, yes. The data says they do.

LOL it’s up to almost 3 million peak since I made that screenshot…

Do you like PUBG? This sounds like its pretty similar (I haven’t played it yet). In these kind of games, many new players will hide to survive. However, its impossible to win these games by hiding, so in the long run, its better to be more aggressive – both to get better gear and to get more experience with shooting. One of the reasons these kind of games are so much fun is that you have both options, and sometimes it pays to hide while other times its better to attack.

Ok, I stand corrected. Thanks ccpugeek13 and wumpus.

I’ll give it another try, but my first impression is pretty much “meh”.

I just installed this and played a couple of 50v50 matches. Its definitely more accessible than PUBG, which is a good thing. The 50v50 gameplay mode is great, and I’d bet that they lean into that more in the near future. Would love to see something like that in PUBG eventually as well. I love how the midgame turns into impromptu gangs of players roaming around the map. I wish that the building had more of a purpose though. Also, it would be nice to see some kind of perk given to a team that is lagging behind.

Well that’s the thing, I see a lot more and deeper building during a 50 v 50 match … though there is a ton of end game specific building in solo/duo/squad too.

I bet you did not knew you can return Xmax presents

well this is kinda surprising!
And no check to see if you have a purchased PvE content associated to your account to hop the line.

Happened to me the other day also, this wait needs to happen AFTER you choose Free PvP or Paid PvE not before… :(

I agree. I got a 10 minute queue yesterday when I tried to log into the save the world mode :(