Fortnite - A New Game by Epic

I’ve been having fun in PvP in Duo mode, teaming with a rotation of my nieces & nephew. We usually just try to stay out of the way, pick off a person or two, then die horribly near the end.

The problem is an overly complex PvE system that just annoys the fuck out of players. Time and time again I’ve discussed this with other players of Fortnite - many haven’t tried it, and those that have said, it’s ok, but way too much stuff going on with squads, cards, gear, crafting… Where as you can flip back to PvP and it’s so clean and straight forward.

I stopped launching Fortnite around October after the long ass Halloween event (which I did give it a go!!) and recently have been coming back for the PvP component. I did try one PvE match, and it seemed actually buggy… 4 players were with me for the objective, yet I couldn’t actually see them on my minimap…

I do get the sense that more resources are focused on the PvP side now. Good for them for getting this game to take off though and breathe more life into the development of it.

I’m not sure i can be happy about them basically abandoning the unfinished and rough original game to focus on making it a (admittedly reasonably well done) pubG wannabe.

Same. Especially since the PVE folks spent, you know, money.

The PVE stuff has all the component parts it needs to be awesome, the devs just need to pull their heads out a few inches and straighten some things out.

Now that they’re swimming in cash monies, maybe they can/ I agree with @ducker that PvE is good but wildly overcomplicated. SIMPLIFY, people!

Mobile version of Battle Royale coming.

5x20 mode launched yesterday. I enjoyed myself but people tend to congregate in just two to four locations at the start. I had some luck bringing a few people to a barren start location so that we could stock up, but if you encounter any organized resistance, you’re toast.

Also, the storm closes in quickly and people get left for dead a LOT more than in any other mode.

Still, it’s a good time, and very unique.

Yeah, it sure felt like the circles were closing a lot quicker last night. I tried out a few games too, even managed to help win one of them. Will definitely keep playing the mode as it develops.

It seemed like the timers were shorter? Either that or the in game clock was running faster maybe? I dunno… I still haven’t been on a winning team or won in a Solo or Duo game.

PVE isn’t that complex, Just do some of the quests and you get the hang of it.

That is not really for you to decide, though. If people (myself included) find the PVE obtuse, difficult to understand and complex, then it IS so, no matter what you think.

They could do with a major overhaul of systems in PVE.

PFF you are like baby the PvE tech tree is simplicity itself

… and there are 8 of them plus three other systems that all interrelate

Yeah, its pretty crazy. I do believe its also what they always have been told during beta, but never really did anything about.

This is super simple:

Top left: +1% damage
Bottom left: +1% tech (skills damage)
Top right: +1% life
Bottom right: +1% shields

Is basically a choice between raw damage, skill damage, shields of life. Theres nothing complex about it.

It’s completely pointless, you just fill it in every day with the research points you generate, it’s meaningless busywork micro-optimization that, given enough time DOES NOT EVEN FUCKING MATTER because you’ll slowly fill in each side of every tree anyway. Yay you get a tiny bit more of X than Y for a little while, oh my god. 😖 🔫

It IS pointless. The tree isn’t complex in the least, though. Like you say, you just methodically work through the tree is a mostly linear fashion.

being pointless and being complex aren’t the same thing. It’s not complex or confusing at all, it’s just meaningless from a gameplay standpoint and busywork as has been said.

regarding complexity or confusion being a personal thing, I know people who will never be able to grasp a game as simple as tic-tac-toe, so I don’t know that we can stoop to the ‘if I was confused the game must be confusing’ viewpoints. someone will always be confused by everything, there is a line and sometimes you might happen to fall on the ‘confused’ side of it.

How much time did you spend on it and what parts of it was it that put you off?

Is a new player able to understand it all at first glance without ‘browsing’ around the UI, probably not. I guess you can equate it to:

player 1 is the one who launches a game and presses play immediately, might be put off by the UI - or just ignore it and continue doing missions.
player 2 is the one who launches the game, and then goes into options to configure it before playing, would not be putt off by the UI.

It might be overwhelming at first, which I suppose they could tutorialize better. If you just focus on doing missions you can ignore the whole “ui-situation” outside of brief stabs at it between the shooting and building.

I pre-purchased it, and started playing the day it released on the PS4.

I played for a few weeks, really trying to like what was there, and understanding the obtuse systems, where half didn’t work (Sending agents after stuff never really got to work in those two weeks, and couldn’t be cancelled), and the other half was work-in-progress.

The gameplay itself was fairly straight forward, but never really required much building - It was fairly easy to just shoot everything instead. The defense missions were incredibly difficult to understand though, and the arrows pointed all kinds of weird ways, where the enemies never showed up. The match-making was kinda wonky at THAT time as well.

The 6 or 7 different ways of levelling stuff and gear and schematics was incredibly annoying - the picture wumpus posted was the least of it, there was a LOT of other weird stuff.

That, combined with the strange llama events, founder events, coins, other coins, npcs, other npcs and so on lead to a mish-mash of systems that made little sense, and seemed to have even less impact on the gameplay, even though I really don’t know.

edit: I deleted the game, so I can’t check, but weren’t there like 12 tabs at the top of your screen? It was a bit insane.

I won my first Solo Battle Royale last night. I only had three kills and got lucky a couple times but it was tense and exciting. When it got down to three, I didn’t realize what happened to guy number three until it was over and I watched the video… :)