Fortnite - A New Game by Epic

Congrats!

I can frequently get into the top 10 players by playing like a coward and very conservatively but I just can’t hack it when confronting the remaining players with far superior weapons and building skills.

This has got to be one of the more interesting post-mortem stories in a long time.

Basically Epic took a DOA game that was built for a last generation audience (zombies, tower defense/base building) saw the new hotness on the horizon, pivoted everything in that direction, and not only saved their game but made a competitor that might eclipse the original, and got there before anyone else.

Fortnite seems well placed to hit a younger, less hardcore audience that is put off by the brown and grey jank filled lethality of POBG. I sort of imagine that post college 20-somethings prefer POBG, kids still in school preferring Fortnite.

Congrats!! Yeah, the very end of the game always defeats me because I suck at building. Need to take a round or two and just practice building a little fort in the corner of the world.

My bro-in-law and I have finished #2 in Duo several times now but can’t seem to finish that last team off due to building.

Thanks!

Building is so important. I have spent a lot of time trying to get better at building that simple tower I built in the video. Even that alone can make a huge difference in giving you a way to spot and fight dudes late in the game. Watching the good players after you get killed by them is also invaluable knowledge. Of course executing that stuff is hard, and I’m really not that great at it as you could see.

Cowardice is often underrated though. The guns blazing approach just doesn’t pan out often enough IMO. I think the trick is to moderate your approach at all times. It’s ok to be that guy who hides a little bit because it’s easier to win when you’re in the final three than when it’s you against three guys and there are still 12 left.

One suggestion is to play the new 5x20 mode a lot. You stay alive longer if you get placed with a good team and that gives you more time to learn the endgame stuff. You’ll be able to get a kill or two, build up a cache of interesting weapons and actually use them, AND you can take your time learning how to build because you’ve got other people doing the same. It’s probably the best way to learn how to play the game better IMO. I’m much better in Solo now because of that.

Definitely less hardcore but not necessarily younger. I know dudes in their thirties who are obsessed with this game. A zero-dollar price tag attracts everyone across the entire age spectrum.

I think I still ultimately prefer PUBG to play with my friends, but the shorter games of Fortnite really appeal to me when playing solo.

I’ll probably give them $10 for the Battle Pass. I’m having a lot of fun with it and I feel like they deserve some money from me given how much I’ve played. I got the cosmetic stuff from the Twitch/Amazon Prime rewards and I have the PS Plus outfit too, but I like the spaceman and while I doubt I’ll get there, the John Wick lookalike for completing this battle pass is awesome.

As I noted above when @wumpus kept making me say it over and over again, FREE is a massive part of the success story here. It’s a really entertaining blend of lots of game genres, but the fact you can download it and play it with all your friends for exactly $0 is why it’s exploded the way it has.

I do like how colorful it is. I play on a PS4 Pro, and it’s also evident how much that helps when I see it running on my kids’ regular PS4s. The color coding of the guns is a smart little detail by the devs. The soundscape of this game is brilliant, too. It’s so integral to the design.

Seems this is me… I enjoyed my time with the tower building and zombie defense. But wore out in the second zone. I can’t imagine doing it over and over again for 2 more zones.

If anyone want to get rich, heres how:

The next generation of gamers are obsessed with qualities. A legendary weapon is not enough, if theres a quality over it (exotic, whatever is called). A game that would exploit that will make their creators more rich than God.

Like an ARPG with procedurally-generated rarities. As soon as the first legendary item drops, the system creates a new rarity - exotic - with one-tenth the drop rate of legendaries. Then once the first exotic item drops, the system creates a new rarity - super double mega rare - with one-tenth the drop rate of exotics, and so on.

Infinite rarity tiers. Neverending loot chase. Someone get the Path of Exile guys on the phone.

No one can stop the Fortnite bus.

nope… it’s a beast now… and I’m sitting in a 42 minute queue to log in…

Wow, is that a normal thing on PC? I’ve never seen a wait more than a minute on the PS4. Is that just for whatever the event is?

Played a bit today in PvE. Spent some time with the UI as well and learned some new things.

• the two squad bonus units can give you nice bonus effects while playing if they’re matched with the class you’re playing.
  • the schematic pages have a ‘tab’ for stuff you can put into your collection to advance its rank
  • 3 hours of playing got me from 2300 to 3350 ‘coins’ that I could spend on lootcrates.

thed ongoing Spring event gives a lot of exotics if you’re into that sort of thing.

So I just heard of this game called Fortnite. Have I completely been living under a rock? Should I be as embarrassed as if I didnt know what Minecraft was?

Is going to be bigger than Club Penguin and Tibia, man.

How I know Fortnite is popular:

Your Epic Games account has been locked due to multiple invalid login attempts. Please wait 120 minutes before trying to access your account.

LOL.

Yeah, I was getting that a lot the last couple of weeks. Had to go in and make sure I had the 2 factor auth stuff set up.

December

February

Definitely happening now. Inevitable.

I just got an email with the same message. Good thing I’m not playing it these days.