Fortnite - A New Game by Epic

Oh, Sega. I’ve never owned a Sega. I went Pong -> Atari 2600 -> NES -> 386dx -> Pentium 2 -> console/PC over-saturation.

My first strategy game was Cannon Fodder, or Warcraft 2 if Cannon Fodder doesn’t count.

I loved Cannon Fodder. My first big strategy love was Dune II. I played that game forever

This game is so massive now because of its Battle Royale that I had no idea there was any other game modes for it, let alone PvE. It really seems to have taken over

Aeon of Strife and demigod shouldn’t even be considered in the same category as a game which has literally lasted since 2003… Dota popularized the genre like no other game, and dota 2 continued on that. I think its pretty weird to say Riot should have SUED valve for making a game that THEY THEMSELVES basically copied. Maybe you could say that Blizzard could have sued Valve, and I believe they did, or at least, valve changed some of the names and lore away from the warcraft origin. But its just silly to argue that Riot should have sued valve.

It seems Battle Royales games where already popular in 1864 in USA.

Guess the PUBG creator is suing them next.

Here is a more valid suit for @Jason_McMaster to ponder with his mind grapes

I think some of these are a bit questionable… i mean, suing because of the pan? many many games have had a pan as a melee weapon before pubg, and it’s not exactly iconic. some things are pretty clear like the winning slogan though

Frying pan was in Left 4 Dead 2.

PlayerUnkown seems to think he is the first for most things in shooters.

To be fair, he did invent mouse-look.

We don’t know if they have drink their own kool-aid or when you are making a legal case you must talk the talk and walk the walk and make these type of comparisons because your “public” need that type of stuff.

We know in the mobile world there are developers that have sell his soul to evil and can create clones faster than you can count to 100 and rip everything and everything they can get their hands on. Maybe they are fighting this type of swamp flies.

It’s been like that forever, though. Heck, in Retro Gamer, when they have done articles on games from the 80’s they often show all the clones that appeared in the next six months to a year. The only thing that’s changed in the last few years is the tools are there now for cloners to do it quickly again, whereas for awhile there it was just a lot harder to build a 3D game in a short period of time.

Do we have a Beetle Rayola thread? because we need somewhere to post these.

(video start in 1:17 )

Bosskey gave up on Lawbreakers, so you could probably put this in that thread.

Or, like, pretty much every thread these days.

There aren’t too many of these games. They are pretty interesting and fun concepts, and I don’t think the 2 popular ones are honestly that good, or at all indicative of the “best” potential royale game. PUBG is filled with bugs and has awful server desyncs, and fortnite is base building and cartoony. I’m definitely waiting for the “best” royale game

Eh… Fortnite having the “cartoony” look and building as well as a massive playerbase means it will be very hard to dislodge it now, even for Blizzard. I’m not sure you’re going to get whatever you think is the “best” Royale game any time soon. I think it’s already here.

I think the perfect battle royale will look more like Fortnite than Punkbat. Watching PUBG videos make my eyes cry. Is so drab and bad in every way. Is not less cartoony, sincerely, is cartony in a realist-y way.

To my eyes anyway. I have special eyes.

For reasons that are unknowm. I also made a lof of Fortnite screenshots, and screenshots that are not fortnite, in this gallery:

It’s the next big thing. Don’t forget that pubg was incredibly popular for a time as well, before the zeitgeist moved on to Fortnite. A good, free, interesting battle royale game could easily become popular. Plus, every company wants to get in on the battle royale craze now. I’m sure we’ll get a couple more attempts. Your argument is like saying “I doubt we’ll see any other good MMO’s now that WoW has gotten so big and popular” back in 2008 or something.

I’m holding hope that PUBG can still be made into a “great” game, and not just a good one. But I’m pretty skeptical. I want a more “realistic” focus and artistic style, ala CSGO, which I think lends itself better to the genre then cartoony third person. I mean, really, my main problem with Fortnite is lack of first person perspective. It’s just weird to play a third person shooter game.

OK, I understand that sentiment and I’m by no means saying that this is the end of the road for the genre, but there is still something important to be noted with regard to World of Warcraft… it’s still number one, by a wide margin, when it comes to sheer number of players and dollars spent on it. Yes, there have been “good” MMOs since, but Blizzard has a firm hold on that market and have almost since it launched. They’ve really never been challenged.

There is room for PUBG to co-exist as the “realistic” alternative of course and it will continue to do that. There is probably room for a first-person style Fortnite that includes some sort of building function too. Unfortunately for everyone else though, once that critical mass gets as big as it is for Fortnite, it’s really hard to overthrow the champ. They also made it free and put it on everything except Switch and 3DS so far. I suspect it’ll come to Switch around E3 time, maybe even with some kind of Nintendo-themed mode…?