Fortnite - A New Game by Epic

I think it’s a little premature to anoint Fortnite as the god and emperor of BR games when six months ago it was an also-ran and twelve months ago the genre barely existed.

I guess we’ll see? Save the link to my post and we’ll revisit it in a few years. :)

lol fair enough :)

Though we’ll probably both be wrong when in 2 years no one even remembers what BR stood for. :)

I’ll fondly remember battle royale games when our ape overlords yell at me for being late for my shift at the salt mines.

(BR will always mean battle rez to me)

Battle Rank in Planetside

An HTML tag

Do you mean they made Lawbreakers a battle royale, or did it just die? Not sure why it’s being mentioned here.

It died for Battle Royale’s sins.

They just announced a new game yesterday and put it on Steam for free and it’s a Battle Royale style game. Previously they said Lawbreakers was being tabled and something new was coming. You posted in the thread?

Yeah, afterwards. I didn’t see the connection until I saw that other topic.

There was a frying pan weapon in Phantasy Star Online, so… /shrug

Anyway, I downloaded this yesterday to see what all the commotion is about. Immediately I saw everyone using the same degenerate strategies: bunny jumping, and structures consisting only of random stacked staircases to nowhere, hastily erected as cover and shooting platforms.

Several matches in, the client crashed. I shrugged, and did not bother to restart it. I have rather limited time for games these days, and better things to spend it on. I can see the appeal for some people, but I was underwhelmed.

One thing i don’t get are “seasons” in these games. Like, it’s just word salad to me with no apparent connection to anything i keep track of.

How is Fornite already in Season 3? Didn’t the Battle Royale side of the game just begin like 20 minutes ago?

Seasons are just made up units of time so Epic can sell “Battle Passes”. As in, whoops we’re in a new season time to buy a new Battle Pass folks, since your last Battle Pass just expired.

Just tried it on the PS4 for the first time.
Loaded by PC stuff flawlessly.
I guess there’s also cross-platform play.

Wonder why more games couldn’t go this route.

Did you play Solo, Duo or Squads? They’re all different animals IMO. Each leads to different strategies for building structures and whether to be balls out aggressive or stealthy to the max. You can win in a lot of different ways in Solo for example, but you’re almost certainly going to see some really crazy brawls in Squads. Duos ends up somewhere in between.

I’ve been playing a lot of Duos with @Lenkenobi and it’s been a blast. Sometimes we get totally rolled early and others have been close to wins. We definitely play a lot more stealthy than some teams, which is our undoing much of the time I think. That said, we aren’t always so great when the fan is getting hit with excerment so I think for now we’re usually better off playing the stealth game.

There’s so much stuff I’ve seen people do in this game beyond what you describe that I’d just say don’t write it off until you’ve played it a bit more. Survival games bring out the best in people in emergent gameplay IMO. For all those bunny hoppers, there’s another fifteen guys doing things you won’t expect. Watching after you die when you make it into like the last 20 can net you lots of cool things to use for yourself.

@Enidigm Think of the Battle Pass Season as a subscription fee for cosmetic loot. It gives you lots of extra challenges to do, many of which are somewhat creative, that net you stuff. Instead of paying $15 a month, you’re paying $10 for three months and the chance to earn a lot of fun rewards that do not change the underlying gameplay but do entertain all the same. Honestly? I dig it. If I tire of Fortnite, I just stop buying Battle Passes. I don’t have a $50 game on my shelf that I may never play again.

Well i just received an email that

“We’re over halfway through Season 3,
but it’s not too late to grab a Battle Pass!”

HOW DO YOU KNOW?

When you play the game, it tells you how many days are left in the season. Since the Battle Pass gives you all the rewards for the tiers you completed as a free player, anytime you jump in you’ll get rewarded. There’s a lot of cool stuff in the lower tiers too.

You need to get it earlyish in the season to complete it, though, unless you totally no life the game or are amazingly awesome at it.

You know i actually like playing this more on the iPad than the PC for some reason. Maybe the horrible controls level the playing field a bit - it runs pretty well but takes forever to load. I wish they’d release the mobile version for MacOS like World of Tanks Blitz did for their game (you can play WoT Blitz on Macbooks and iPads on the same team), because the full version of Fortnite runs like trash on all but the highest end Macs.

I actually actually prefer PUBG on the iPad more - it runs even better tbh - until it was @stusser Ii believe who pointed out it was likely running huge servers full of bots.

Not really bots, real people playing the android version with a mouse and keyboard. The mobile game is cross-platform so if you play iOS, you’re playing against android users too.