Fortnite - A New Game by Epic

There were 281 unread messages for me in this thread, so please disregard if already discussed but I just got an alert from Epic Games that someone had tried to get into my account (I don’t play Fortnite but had an account with them for Shadow Complex, looks like).

There weren’t any problems, the attacker couldn’t figure out my super secret password (somehow, it was an old one I used to use for everything) so I reset it and enabled two-factor authentication. Just as a PSA - if you haven’t yet, enable two factor authentication. Especially with this game getting so popular, it’s going to draw the shit-eating flies now.

So what do they have to gain by hacking into your account? Are there items they can transfer to theirs or what?

No idea, I don’t play Fortnite. It’s free to play though, so I assume there is something people would want.

The only thing they did on my account was rack up a bunch of charges for Fortnite Bux or whatever they’re called. Maybe it’s possible to transfer ownership of the account to someone else by changing the e-mail or whatever? I could see them selling accounts packed with cosmetics that way.

The way it worked out, though, Epic refunded me all my money, but they didn’t remove any of the shit from my account. So I now have about 39,000 Fortnite Dollaz, a bunch of cosmetics, and a copy of the PvE game, effectively for free, and I don’t have a clue what to do with any of it.

39,000 is a lot. $100 will get you about 10k, so you have ~$400 worth.

Heh, maybe I’ll give it another go. :)

Or 2,512.99 Chinese Yuan Renminbi if you sell the account to a Chinese Internet cafe.

I’m keenly aware of what the account is “worth.” Wells Fargo was pretty clear when they called and asked “Did you mean to just spend 450 dollars on Fortnite really fast?” But it’s like I was given a 450 dollar gift card to, I dunno, some store that only exists in Europe. Valuable, maybe, but worthless to me specifically.

I think the reason it resonates with me is it’s a lot like things I did as a kid in the neighborhood. Like so many other kids, we’d play “war” and hide all sorts of places and try to get the drop on our friends, sometimes in small teams. You can even build cool forts!

Battle Royale Objetive Review:

-1 point because you can’t pet dogs
-1 point because you can’t sleep dart enemies and capture them with a fultom
-3 points because why not, and Ranbow Six exist.
-1 point because Overwatch have a PvE event, and all the BR events are PvP.
-1 point because in the skies theres a omen of disaster and the game will probably be destroyed and dinosaurs will replace humans as dominant race on earth

Final score:
-7/10

That seems like a positive.

Nah, dinosaurs are pretty much people too.

click to view image

pray to the saur gods the image don’t show distorted

50v50 v2 is out! They’re putting a lot of thought into this.

• two buses on parallel tracks
  • they draw a dotted line down the middle of the map to make it clear which side is which
  • there is only one main circle everyone can see drawn directly on the split line (so each side of the circle is evenly divided between teams), and it closes in 8 minutes
  • loot is amplified, but sniper weapons and explosive weapons are still quite rare
  • tons of drops but ONLY in the circle

The idea is that there will be a mad rush to that first circle to fortify it on each side, and that definitely happens a lot more now. If they wanted a lot more building, they definitely got it.

I recommend checking it out!

That sounds like something worth trying out. Had fortnite for a while now, but only played PVE.

What’s funny is that while i can compete in Fortnite iOS and do ok, on the PS4 i am dead dead dead. I haven’t played a competitive multiplayer shooter on console since … Bad Company. All that bunny hopping, wall building madness… too old for that stuff now apparently. I’m lucky to even get a shot off.

Oddly this is why i liked my time with PUBG better; way more creepy/stalking that’s my style. Running and gunning gameplay and i’m instadead.

Sounds like a lot of fun! I’ll definitely be trying that out this weekend. I’m only about thirteen tiers from The Reaper. I’d like to finish all that up before time runs out.

They gave everyone 20 stars recently when you logged in (yesterday) so that’s at least 2 levels.

I think I missed that. I played almost every other day this week, too. :(

One thing I don’t like about 50v50 is that a very unfavorable circle (half of “your side” is in loot lake water, for example, or their side is mostly in titled towers which is very easy to defend) is basically a guaranteed loss. There are a fair number of bad circles to be had, since the circle has to be on the central dividing line.

There’s also the issue that the buses go in opposite directions, so if the circle is closer to their bus for early drop…

I tried a few quick matches of 50v50 this weekend and found it uninspired.

Jump off the bus, engage in a frantic scramble to find loot–competing with your teammates that have all jumped in close proximity, mostly find scraps others have dropped, run to the central circle, see that both sides have built massive hulking forts, and take potshots at the other team that are hiding behind their giant fort while hiding behind your fort. It all seemed anticlimactic and each match was repetitive, playing out the same as the previous one.

The “finding the loot part”–the best part about Fortnite–was mostly a disappointment since your team all drops pretty close to each other. Each chest I found had already been opened, most guns had been grabbed, with lesser ones dropped behind and so on.

YMMV.