Fortnite - A New Game by Epic

It’s good but not great. It needs more tweaking. As wumpus notes, some circles are better than others for those large battles. We had one over the weekend that centered around the industrial buildings not far from Dusty Depot and that turned into a really exciting pitched battle. I had one where I was one against 23 and I was able to sneak into Shifty Shafts and build myself into the caves in such a way that they had to hack their way in to get me. Most players were still outside running around shooting all the other structures so I picked off a couple guys that found me as they came in one by one. That was fun, even if it was futile. :)

One thing I like about it is it gives you time to experiment. I’m trying different things, using weapons I don’t always use, and building… lots of building, and pushing the pace, which can only help in Solo, Duo and Squad matches later.

Also…

I made a concerted effort to start in Tilted this weekend too. I wanted to get better at the combat side of the game. It definitely helped. One thing I would like to see them do though is make the pick a lot more dangerous. When you think about the weapons in the game they are all deadly at certain ranges and less deadly at others. They have a really nice handle on all the guns in the game and their specific uses IMO except maybe the standard submachine gun (not the silenced… that one is good). If you want to be consistent though, the pick should be a one to three hit kill, not TEN swings, because if I can get that close to you, then it should f-ing hurt. That would eliminate the feeling of helplessness that comes from being the guy who didn’t get to pick up a gun or open a chest. You’d know that you might have a chance instead of equating a lack of weapon pickup in the first five seconds to another trip into the queue.

I think it would also be more internally consistent with the rest of the weapons in the game. Think about how Quake 3 Arena’s Gauntlet was a near instantaneous melee death. That’s how it should work.

I got a lot of chests when I dropped at the outskirts of the map when I tried it out today. Only downside is that it seemed like the entire team were soloing, at least I ran to another player and followed that guy around but didn’t see anyone else do the same – although we did meet in the middle.

Also, no way to revive team mates, or does that require medkits? Was assuming, since its online, that all the people playing were assholes and didn’t revive so they could get my shiny weapons. - at least they got the scumbag after he killed me… (after he jumped past two of them who were oblivious to the 2 clips of ammo we were firing at each other as we jumped around in a circle – inside our “fortification” – like idiots… )

You know people say that its good thing with “opt-out” microphone so “you can, like, communicate and shit…”, but after playing 30 seconds of fortnite pvp mode I can say : no fucking way. (maybe the guys from earlier couldn’t hear our shooting because they were too busy listening to “room-ambience-and-tv-feedback-tv-feedback-tv-feedback.wav” and “some-guy-talking-with-his-mother-in-the-kitchen_through_the_ancient_kung-fu_art_of_yelling.ogg”. )

Still, seems fun. Hopefully next time I’ll get a sniper rifle.

Oh, I saw a guy disguised as a bush running around, that was fun. (the tree(?), not GB Senior/Junior)

Bush antics are one of my favorite things in the game. A really good ambush is even better when you’re the bush.

Who has money? Epic has money.

Star Wars Battlefront II should be turned into a free to play game with the Fortnite model for in game purchases.

Fortnite seems to be a hard working girl. Has made many moneys.

Best of lucks to her and Mister Epic. Hope they did not mismanage this and end killing it, paragon style.

In other, related /nonrelated news:

Also. Is the sky failing? yes, apparetly, thats the case.

Wow, it was only the 5th most revenue on the PC? Beat out by games Dungeon Figher Online and Fantasy Westward Journey Online?

I must be getting old and out of touch, I have no clue WTF those games are.

Probably illegal in Belgium.

I just got BINGO on my MMO word-salad card, where do I go to collect my prize?

From inside a loot box, I’m guessing!

Latest patch did a “Oh by the way…” and swapped out BAttleEye with EAC which is a lot more invasive… Time to find a way to defeat it.

What the eff…

Edit: Looks like they are using both now… so the launcher will try EAC first, then maybe go back to BattleEye from the looks of it.

Guess it just became a console only title.

What’s the problem with EAC, exactly?

It’s not easy keeping all of you Rust Lords up to speed on this game.

DFO is super popular in korea

I hope the other guy replied “and you are a hanzo main”.

This seems what Fantasy Westway Journey looks like.

Finally got some quality time with Season 4 and it feels well tuned and has some really entertaining new areas. The changes to Moisty Mire are awesome with its labyrinth-like movie set. I wasn’t sure if I’d do the Battle Pass again but I’m in! It seems like they did some texture work in the world too. It looks great on the PS4 Pro.

Fortnite / Avengers crossover

Finally downloaded this last week once I realized the accounts are shared across PC/PS4, so I can play on either. Really fun, yadda, yadda.

Then, tried out the Save the World mode. I LOVE THIS! So far, this is what Destiny is trying to do; have you constantly jump in and play for a little bit to get progression. But in Destiny it does not work. Cosmetics are meaning-less since everyone looks the same, and you always just equip the best gun(s) you have.

Fortnite includes construction/base-building, and each player has their own personal base that continually grows, so that’s super cool. Also, when you jump into a game, you pick a mission and are set up with 4 other players. So you jump in, and each player has their own personal quests(do damage with certain weapons, rescue people, destroy see-saws, find blue orbs, etc.), and runs around doing them until the main objective of that mission is found. Then you have say 10 minutes or so until your obective will be under siege. So you work together and build defenses, etc. Then you fight waves of enemies. It’s great!

This crafting system, and base-building really gives this game the extra something I felt Destiny was missing. This game has actually interesting missions so far, a cool little story, better exploration, and better team work, and the reward isn’t just kill more stuff.

I know the progression trees can be a bit much, but it’s kind of cool constantly getting all these different types of points, and spending them on like better defenders, or squads, or turrets, or away teams, or etc. etc. etc.

The shine may wear off as I play more, but THIS is the future of shooter MMOs/MMO-lites imo, and I hope some games learn from it. This is what I wish Destiny could have been.

This game is still in the process of blowing up. Now my son and all of friends are playing this on a near daily basis on their Xboxes. Dropping money on V-bucks to buy skins and dances… The lack of blood, and the cartoony nature of the game play makes it very accessible to a pre-teen audience. (my son’s in 5th grade)

Well done Epic, well done.

Thanos looks amazing. Looking forward to trying that tonight!