Fortnite - A New Game by Epic

I feel like kicking myself. Most of my gaming these days is PC coop with my son. He asked that we play STW so I went ahead a bought a copy for both of us. What a dumb move. Once we manages to clear the tutorial missions, It took 3 attempts to start a game, and he was kicked out before we could finish. There were other bugs and issues other than that. The forums seems to indicate that Epic would fart in the general direction of STW anymore. I guess BR is where they put their effort.

Anyway I filed a refund request for both of us, and got very quick replies telling me founders packs aren’t eligible. Bastards. We played for less than 2 hours I think.

Anyone from the EU had any luck with this. I think according to EU law they a bound to offer a refund under these circumstances, but I suppose Epic would’t care that much about that sort of thing…

That sucks. I’ve been playing STW here and there for ages and haven’t had connection issues. STW gets events and content updates as well as a big overhaul coming up, so they haven’t abandoned it. The BR mode is the focus of the business though, of course.

This is sort of encouraging. Maybe we should give it another chance.

Epic recently said they’re delaying the rollout of free-to-play Save The World because they need to plan for the services load it will imply. Seems like the service patterns are very different for STW vs. Battle Royale.

When they announced that delay though, they also put STW on sale for 50%-off. So it sounds like they’re still running into load issues even without going F2P.

I don’t play the game much but I do see tons of STW changes and new features with every major update, so they’re definitely still devoted to it. Just seems like service load issues they need to work out.

That’s a good point. They just recently rolled out the new event that coincided with the drop to 50% off, so they might just be getting hammered.

Is the one that is supposed to expand the last act, the western themed one? When is it due out?

Canny Valley story was half built out in the summer. The next update completes it. There’s a Twine Peaks area after that.

No luck here. They declined my refund request after they added two invasive anti-modification executables to the “singleplayer” campaign mode.

The free mode is the battle-royale which ran with BattleEye to begin with before adding EasyAntiCheat, both of which were then enforced for Campaign mode also.

There isn’t a single player game per se, it’s all played online and heavily geared towards multiplayer. Just wanted to clarify in case anyone read that and thought there was a single player or online mode available.

We gave it another go yesterday and managed to complete a few missions before crashing. I suppose some fun can be gleaned here. My son likes it and most of my gaming these days is coop with him so I guess that’s going to be my game for awhile. Hopefully epic sorts out these issues.

Some impressions: it’s a nice TD / shooter game clearly being grated for FTP with lot boxes, piniata llamas and I think 3 currencies. Hopefully there’s enough content to keep us interested for a couple of months.

The Fortnite cube exploded today!

I got a refund for one of the copies, the 2nd request was rejected. Now I’ll see if I can badger them to refund the 2nd one.

Aaaand, second purchase refunded as well. Achievement unlocked!

Hooray for EU law (and boo to Brexit).

How long had you played on the second you got refunded and what was your argument, maybe I should give it a second attempt as well.

We played a couple of hours on each account. This is the text I sent them:

EU law does not recognize this differentiation that you make between a product and ‘founders packs’ or any other term. I have paid for a game which does not work properly and requesting a refund as is my right under law. Please refer to this link:

Guarantees, cancelling and returning your purchases - Your Europe

160x160 Guarantees, cancelling and returning your purchases - Your …

Under EU rules, a trader must repair, replace, reduce the price or give you a refund if goods you bought turn out to be faulty or do not look or work as advertised. If you bought a good or a service online or outside of a shop (by telephone, mail order, from a door-to-door salesperson), you also …

Under EU rules, a trader must repair, replace, reduce the price or give you a refund if goods you bought turn out to be faulty or do not look or work as advertised.

The game is not working properly. I experienced many issues such as loading delays (10 minutes or more), crashes and UI issue. In light of all of this I cannot understand how Epic can justify not refunding my purchase. If this is not resolved I will have no option but to file a complaint with the European commission consumer centre.

I am happy for you. But the problem was probably on your ISP routers more than Epic end.

Anyway happy there’s a happy ending :D

note:

You are still doing business with the source cause of your problems, your ISP.

Maybe. I regularly play Warframe and other MP games without any issues. Maybe my ISP is an Epic hater?
And anyway, regardless of performance and bugs, I think its a crap game so I have no regrets.

Network problems are complicated, and I am not a expert. What I know the more weird shit you do to trafic, the more you ask for problems. And some ISP’s do shit to slow some traffic, to make other trafic faster. The code that do this network discrimination can be faulty and drop packets from the “wrong” data thinking is slowing down Netflix, when in reality is corrupting the connexion between you and your game host. Or some routing problem between some datacenter and your isp, that you don’t have with a different game that uses a different datacenter (or with games like warframe that use P2P networking).

You did the right thing and I am happy it worked for you. I was just playing devil advocate :D

Cheers, I’ll try that route as they changed the “compatibility” of the game to a large degree from when I purchased it until it stopped working.

Best of luck to you.