Forum Game: Guess the Abbreviation

I’m at work on a Sunday, behind on my designs as usual, trying to best my personal high score on Time Pilot in the company arcade, thinking about next year’s feature set. I start thinking in abbreviations rather than full names. I jot them down.

Here’s the game. Guess what the abbreviations stand for. That is, H-L would be Half-Life.

Here are some rules:[ol]
[li]The game’s based on the honor system. You could always lie about your score, I guess
[/li][li]Titles will be either PC or consoles. I picked fairly major games, nothing too obscure. Classic and contemporary. No handheld games, no arcade-only games
[/li][li]The first group is worth 2 points each, the second group is worth 3, and the last group is worth 5
[/li][li]You’ve got to get the whole title, including the sub-title to earn the points
[/li][li]If you think of a different game with the exact same initials, that counts too
[/li][li]You lose one point if you use the hint. (Drag the mouse past the word “hint” to see the text)
[/li][li]Standard title capitalization, i.e. articles, prepositions, pronouns, etc. are lower case
[/li][/ol]
Post your score. I’m not going to post the answers just yet. I’m guessing most people on this board will find this game rather easy. If people need help, I’ll post answers in a follow-up. Here we go.

EASY: 2 Points Each:
FFVII
[size=2]Hint: [color=#EEEEEE]The only thing final about this was Aries’ story arc[/color][/size]
GTAIII: VC
[size=2]Hint: [color=#EEEEEE]At least this one is only rated M[/color][/size]
AoE2: tAoK
[size=2]Hint:[color=#EEEEEE]A great Ensemble piece[/color][/size]
tLoZ: OoT
[size=2]Hint:[color=#EEEEEE]Better than Wind Waker[/color][/size]
RE4
[size=2]Hint: [color=#EEEEEE]More fun than staying in Racoon City[/color][/size]
MGS2: SoL
[size=2]Hint: [color=#EEEEEE]Snaaaaaaaake![/color][/size]
THPS3
[size=2]Hint:[color=#EEEEEE]People remember #2 and THUG, but not this one[/color][/size]
PoP: SoT
[size=2]Hint: [color=#EEEEEE]This one does not burn with generic rage[/color][/size]
BGII: SoA
[size=2]Hint: [color=#EEEEEE]You can’t get this? Baldurdash![/color][/size]
C&C: YR
[size=2]Hint: [color=#EEEEEE]Are yuri trying?[/color][/size]
NfS U
[size=2]Hint: [color=#EEEEEE]An overground hit.[/color][/size]
KotoR:
[size=2]Hint: [color=#EEEEEE]The only interesting young Republicans[/color][/size]

MEDIUM: 3 Points Each:
WitWiCsD?
[size=2]Hint: [color=#EEEEEE] How many game have questions for a title?[/color][/size]
LLitLotLL
[size=2]Hint: [color=#EEEEEE] A Laffer[/color][/size]
RtCW
[size=2]Hint: [color=#EEEEEE]Achtung! Mein Leben![/color][/size]
DN3D
[size=2]Hint: [color=#EEEEEE] Hail to the king, baby[/color][/size]
VF4: E
[size=2]Hint: [color=#EEEEEE] An evolution for fighting games[/color][/size]
PM: tT-YD
[size=2]Hint: [color=#EEEEEE]Its depth is not paper thin[/color][/size]
SW: JK2: JO
[size=2]Hint: [color=#EEEEEE]Do you need me to hum the John Williams’ score?[/color][/size]
HoMMIII: tRoE
[size=2]Hint: [color=#EEEEEE] A restoration of turn-based fantasy games?[/color][/size]
MoO
[size=2]Hint: [color=#EEEEEE] Microprose Masterpiece[/color][/size]
KQV: AMtHGY
[size=2]Hint: [color=#EEEEEE] That’s a “5”, not a V[/color][/size]
UIX: A
[size=2]Hint: [color=#EEEEEE] The Ultimate in buggy product[/color][/size]
AitD: tNN
[size=2]Hint: [color=#EEEEEE] At least Uwe Boll didn’t direct the game[/color][/size]

HARD: 5 Points Each:
SdA!
[size=2]Hint: [color=#EEEEEE] This game features a salsa remix of Take on Me by A-Ha![/color][/size]
tAAoWaS
[size=2]Hint: [color=#EEEEEE]Broderbund. Classic. Late ‘80s, matey.[/color][/size]
X: E1: DWzM
[size=2]Hint: [color=#EEEEEE] It’s all about the Will to Power, baby[/color][/size]
W: PGotMO
[size=2]Hint: [color=#EEEEEE] You know you’re cool if you made it Werdna[/color][/size]
HZ
[size=2]Hint: [color=#EEEEEE]Who knew that THE first RTS was on the Genesis?![/color][/size]

Maximum Score is 85.
[size=2]Edit: It’s HoMMIII, not IV, no colon in NFS U, and I learned me how to count.[/size]

I got 29. Coulda been a lot higher but I can’t remember sub-titles worth a damn.

[color=#DEE3E7]Final Fantasy VII
Grand Theft Auto III: Vice City (I don’t think III is technically part of the title, but I’ve seen it referred to as such)
Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Resident Evil 4
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 3
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Baldur’s Gate II: Shadows of Amn
Command & Conquer: Yuri’s Revenge
Need For Speed Underground (No colon in the title, -1 point for you)
Knights of the Old Republic

Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego?
Leisuresuit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Duke Nukem 3D
Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
Star Wars: Jedi Kinght 2: Jedi Outcast
Heroes of Might and Magic III: The Restoration of Erathia (It was III, -1 again for you)
Masters of Orion
King’s Quest V: Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder
Ultima IX: Ascension
Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare

Samba de Amigo
The Ancient Art of War at Sea
Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille Zur Macht
Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord
Herzog Zwei (needed hint)[/color][color=cyan][/color][color=cyan][/color][color=darkblue][/color]

Did I say 45? I meant 75.

TGIF

62 – all of the easy/mediums, none of the hards. A couple of the mediums I only got after the hints.

[edited when I found out max was 85, not 75]

45, killed by subtitles as well. And for the record, I think THPS3 was the best and THPS4 was the one people forget about.

Max is 85 isn’t it?

I got 74. That’s sad too. We use acronyms for titles way too much in this industry.

–Dave

Hey, Dave’s right, the max is 85. So I actually got 55, because I just figured my score on the assumed total of 75 and subtracted the wrong ones.

D’oh. Matthew Galant, the Kitsune of the West, got everything right and corrected my more egregious errors. Oh, and Dave Long taught me how to count.

Missed two out of the five hards. I must have missed out never playing much Genesis (as I was po’) as a kid. Also I had no idea on the Hard 1) and still don’t.

I got 80. Missed the “X” one in the hard category, though I had to use the hint for the first one in that category (thank God Jason Cross owned the damn game and used to rave about it).

Back when I started at “Strategy Plus,” we were acronymn crazy. One of my all-time faves was: WCS: T! There was also OAOW, WVII: CDS (though we may have used W7: CDS).

Once they made the huge mistake of putting me in charge, one of my first editorial decisions was to kill all of the bloody things. I hate the things. To this day we almost never use them, which I think makes the magazine actually readable. Well, sorta readable at least.

85 using two hints.

Without the hints I missed:

SdA!
WitWiCS

Operational Art of War, Wizardry 7: Crusaders of the Dark Savant, and…

Wargame Construction Set II: Tanks!

I always abbreviated it TOAW. I think that was the preferred abbreviation on csipcgw-h.

You got SERVED!

He will get acronynimical on your ass. I think the new game should be see if there isn’t something you can’t get.

Was csipgw-h even around when that game came out? That might have been before the schism in sissypigs that created that w-h monster?

–Dave

Good lord, I should have never posted my score.

/me holds head down in utter shame