Forza Horizon 3 - Car collecting down under

Thanks. I looked through the extra cars and decided to go with the standard edition. Nothing I couldn’t live without, especially if the base game really does have 350 cars.

Well, well, well…

[quote]
The new branch will also be based in Leamington Spa, with Playground searching for new premises “ideally within walking distance” of its current headquarters in the town centre. It will house a second team working on a brand new game. The developer is unable to share much about the project at this stage, but has confirmed to us that it will be open world and not a racing game.[/quote]

Shouldn’t there be some new monthly rival races since we’re in February?

So how do I add everyone so I can start systematically overtaking all of your lap times? Is there a Qt3 group or something?

Also, it seems like the game has had a permanent price drop to $40 according to an email Amazon sent me. This game is so good, I get home and have action paralysis not because I don’t have anything eye-catching to play, but because the decision to boot up Horizon 3 versus Dirt Rally is so painful.

Playing Project Cars makes you really appreciate the smooth controls in this game. Project Cars, in comparison, is almost unplayable with a controller…

I’m not sure what you mean. I played a good amount of Project Cars, exclusively with a 360 controller. The actual gamepad control seemed fine to me. There is a difference in the way both games play because PC is trying to be a technical sim racer while Horizon leans more toward a loose, arcade racing playstyle.

Maybe @Brakara is talking about playing on the Xbox One, where the game was given away with the Games With Gold program. When I rented the game on Xbox One at launch, it was horrendous because the frame rate was in the single digits. I’m sure it’s been improved since then, but having a sub-optimal frame rate can make a huge difference on the controls.

That’s why I didn’t even bother downloading the game for free when it became part of the Games With Gold program.

oh, that makes more sense. that sucks.

Yeah, that. And the fact that trying to get through a turn is like steering a whale and I have to slow down a lot even though the driving line is already green. And I’m 100% sure it’s doable without slowing down with a wheel.

Forza Horizon is more forgiving than the main game, but even in Forza Motorsport the car behaves like you expect it to behave (with a controller). While in Project Cars it feels like I fight the controls more than anything else. A shame, since I like the career mode there much better than in Motorsport.

Just a heads up, there’s 12 and a half hours left of this Forzathon that gives you a Ferrari 599xx if you complete it.

Complete ALL of a certain type of challenge, I hate those, since I have no idea where most of them are so far. Don’t you have to have all the festivals up to level 5 in order to see all the challenges?

No, these are easy. Just enter a Ferrari and win a race. Create your own bucket list challenge (with the same Ferrari) and beat your set time. And then just complete an online race. Took me maybe 30 minutes, and the longest time was finding an online race where I could use a Ferrari. I don’t know about all the online options so I just joined an Online Adventure until I got to an event where I could use a Ferrari.

Oh I see, the last challenge is just to finish the above 3 challenges. I’ve been misinterpreting that wording for ages now I guess.

I did it! That was the easiest set of challenges for a Forzathon ever. Thanks for the heads up @Brakara. There’s still a few hours left btw.

I did that Forathon yesterday, but was INCREDIBLY annoyed by the online part of the experience (since I don’t usually play Horizon 3 online)

The online experience of PC FH3 seems MUCH worse than I remember from the Xbox days. Even though my framrate is smooth 60+ FPS at medium detail & I have a good 150 MB connection, I see crazy rubber-banding of the online cars, very low update frequency of other players, etc. Makes online very unpleasant.

Diego

@dgallina Which country are you playing from? I did three online races yesterday until I finally found one in which I could drive a Ferrari, and they were all smooth as silk, no lag, no rubberbanding. OTOH, I was playing on Xbox yesterday, not PC, so maybe that was a reason too. I’ve never actually tried getting online in the PC version.

Both the Ferraris I drove yesterday (458, and LaFerrari) are just too much car for me at this point in the game. I want to slowly work my way up to them. The biggest thing was how much the AI could spank me on the fast turns. Theoretically I know the Ferraris can make really high speed turns thanks to the downforce, but when I come up to the turns, I freak out and slow down, while the drivatars just zoom ahead.

To win the race offline, I had to turn down the AI difficulty by 5 or 6 notches to finally win a race in the Ferrari. Which was very humbling and embarrassing.

Playing from the right coast of the US. Maybe just glitchy yesterday so will keep an eye on it next time I try online. Certainly COULD be a PC port issue though.

Diego

What AI difficulty are you normally playing with?

I started the game on “Very Skilled” drivatars, and then ramped it up after it didn’t feel challenging enough. I think it’s the one right above that one where I normally race.

Yesterday I changed it down to either Average or the one below Average.

The downside of playing on high drivatar difficulty is that I seldom actually win races. But I’m pretty happy if I can come in second or third too. The experience and money and fans they dole out are pretty good even if you don’t win.

Of course, my method is fun, but it’s not conducive to earning all the achievements.

Highly Skilled is where I’m at, but I guess I could turn it up for a better challenge. Then again, I like winning now and then.

One thing that’s weird though, is that offroad races are far more challenging than normal ones. It’s like the AI drivers don’t break at all during turns and I usually end up around 6-8th place instead of normally 1-3rd.