Forza Horizon 3 - Car collecting down under

I don’t have the game so I don’t know if this is possible, and it’s a long shot in any case. Can you identify and disable the intro video files? Don’t delete them, just rename them.

nope, it’s not the video intro files but they aren’t separate to be able to be disabled independently.

Out now.

[quote]
2016 Aston Martin Vulcan
2000 Lotus 340R
2016 Pagani Huayra BC
2010 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
2016 GTA Spano
2016 BMW M2 Coupé
1976 Jeep CJ5 Renegade[/quote]

What’s the consensus on the season pass DLC? $30 seems like a lot to ask for a bunch of new cars. Are these cars gifted to you or are they just made available and you still have to buy them?

They’re free in game once you buy the DLC.

@rei

I think the teams finally discovered what’s making these games crash on Insider builds. I think they’re fast tracking a fix into the next Insider build.

Separately, for people on retail non-insider builds, a separate cause was discovered to be related to “anti-spy” tools that are way too aggressive and disable vital system services related to licensing and such.

As always, just say no to stupid naive utilities which claim to do things like this:

http://www.howtogeek.com/273513/why-you-shouldnt-use-anti-spying-tools-for-windows-10/

@LMN8R thanks for the update! I hope it was clear that I remained civil with my posts about my experience. This was no typical “GFW Live fucking sucks” post of mine.

The fixes are POST 14942 Insider right?

Yeah they’re not checked in yet I don’t think. But we have a lot of insiders so people know how important it is to get it out there soon.

Have they fixed the volume control yet?

But, but, when I ran the game I checked my disk i/o and figured out the game was ACCESSING MY FILES! Sometimes there would be multiple i/o per second.

Hmm. On Insider Fast Ring 14946 and it doesn’t even get past the Turn 10 splashes anymore.

On the previous Insider it would get to the game but that Insider botched UWP apps/games login so I would get an “Access Denied” and fail to get into the game since no offline play is allowed.

I guess playing on XBO is the only way to do this since it’s still a nightmare to get going on PC. I will check back in a few months since it’s now too late to get a refund. I’m glad I wasn’t enough of a sucker to try to get the $130US bundle to play “early” – it appears there are some who still can’t play after paying early for that privilege.

PC gaming is an unmitigated disaster on UWP/Windows 10 Store so back to Steam.

Known issues for PC

“Larger Windows Store games such as ReCore, Gears of War 4, Forza
Horizon 3, Killer Instinct and Rise of the Tomb Raider may fail to
launch.”

Yep, thanks for linking the specific post. @LMN8R I saw that update earlier. You didn’t mention which future Insider build a fix would be patched into so I wasn’t sure if it was 14946 even though there was that known issue.

Not losing my shit yet.

I think it was checked in but yesterday’s build was snapped a few days earlier since it needs to go through internal rings first.

Ok @LMN8R can you explain in simpleton terms what’s going on? I don’t think I’m on an Insider build but my FH3 also crashes on startup now. Is there a fix coming or was Build 14946 the fix?

I think it’s just the licensing service some games depend on has a bug preventing successful first time activation. Same as if Steam failed to activate online once before allowing you to go offline.

In layman’s terms: PC games used to be a self-contained bubble separate from your OS updates. The worst that would happen is the games wouldn’t run optimized if you didn’t have latest video, sound and DirectX. Or with the addition of purchase/DRM platform like Steam, you would potentially be prevented from playing if Steam was down like how terrible it was in 2004 when HL2 launched. Nowadays, as Steam has matured in the last 13 years, it’s almost never a problem.

Unless the game used shitty middleware like Games For Windows Live.

Today, our games won’t run because they depend on bits and pieces of the OS (the licensing service as LMN8R mentioned) and updating-to-beta-OSes-like-me/not updating can prevent our games from running. Among other reasons.

So, it sucks.

Okaaaay, I guess that still doesn’t tell me if I get to actually play the $60 I bought or if that was just a charitable donation to Microsoft.

Is the demo ever coming out?

PC games have never, in any decade or any generation of gaming ever, been a “self contained bubble” from your operating system. Whether DirectX, or the driver model that even OpenGL depends on, or audio drivers, or otherwise, games have always inherently and completely depended on underlying operating system APIs to work properly.

Not only does gaming have deep ties and dependencies into complex OS systems, but gaming is among the most complex software mainstream consumers run on PCs with the most OS dependencies compared to any other mainstream software.

Betas for Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 have always had occasional bugs in the OS which broke gaming or some other incredibly important mainstream scenario for weeks at a time. It sucks, it’s painful, but that’s why it’s a beta OS.

The fact that these games happen to depend on something in the OS that’s currently broken is not some previously unheard of concept for a beta OS.

If you’re not in an insider build then nothing Rei or I mentioned here is relevant to you. You should talk with Customer Support, since they’ll have all the information about known issues and will be able to give you a refund if you’re unable to resolve the problem.