Forza Horizon 4 - CaRPG in the UK

It looks like Microsoft accidentally made Forza Horizon 4 available to download for some pre-order customers a few hours ago. They’ve since disabled it, but not before some folks got a peek at the car list.

New dashcam view.

Thanks. That was mesmerizing. I ended up watching the whole thing. It’s going to be impossible to resist this game.

I love how in the Song of Ice and Tires section, the big vehicle drove through the stone fences without hardly slowing down at all.

I presume this is Windows Store only, right?

I enjoyed Forza 7 quite a lot, but I just don’t play it any more because the Windows Store is such an utter disaster.

Does the game not launch sometimes when you try to play it or something?

Yeah, pretty much every time I go to launch it for the first time in a day it pops the splash screen and then vanishes. If you open task manager you can watch it start and then kill itself.

I did some googling around the issue and saw suggestions in a few different places that the way to fix it was to download a free app, or uninstall any piece of Forza DLC and then reinstall it. “That can’t be right,” I thought to myself, “how stupid would that be if it worked!?”

But it actually works 99% of the time.

The other 1% of the time I have to sign out of the store, kill and restart the ws.exe and then log back into my store account.

So the routine if I want to play Forza is to try to launch it, watch it fail, then uninstall the Hoonigan DLC, reinstall the Hoonigan DLC and then the game will launch first time after that.

Then the next day I want to play Forza the loop starts all over again.

Wow, that’s terrible.

I haven’t had any trouble yet. Knock on wood.

I’ve only played a few games on it though. Forza Apex, Forza Horizon 3, Re-Core, State of Decay 2, Cuphead, Everspace, Gears 4, Tacoma, Super Lucky’s Tale. Actually that’s more than I was expecting until I started listing them out. Still, it’s a small list compared to Steam, but about comparable to my UPlay and Origin store lists at this point.

State of Decay 2 and Sea of Thieves work fine for me on Windows Store, but Forza Horizon 3 was a POS every time. I gave up on that game.

Yep, I had problems with a beta of Forza 7 time ago, and crashes with FH3. It isn’t a problem with the store, just the pc ports of the Forza games, which we can imagine weren’t designed from zero to run in a computer.

Still, I loved FH3 so much that I still would recommend it even if you have crashes every 5 hours or so!

I had a nightmare with the initial download of FH3, and then when the mountain DLC was released until it was patched many weeks later, but it worked fine otherwise. And with an XboneX, Play Anywhere is just about worth the shittiness of the Windows Store.

If you’re trying to get me to twist my brain in knots with that thread title, it’s working. “For a Horizon 4”? Is it a goof or does it mean something?

You read weird.

Oh yeah, well your … mother.

Just in case there’s somebody out there who has never seen any one of the 10ish existing Forza games in motion before, here’s what the next one looks like.

Looks like we can all be Drift Kings in FH4.

Now this looks pretty awesome - you can race as Master Chief in a Warthog with Cortana talking to you through a Halo-themes course. Skip to about the 1:50 mark on this video to check it out -

Screw Cortana, that traitor.

Pretend it’s like Halo 1-3 era Cortana! Which I guess it would have to be, if she’s still talking to MC.

I like the new trailer.

My most anticipated game still coming out this year. Bring on October!

Remind me, this is gonna be on Windows as well, right?