Forza Horizon 4 - CaRPG in the UK

Let me experiment posting my Xbox clips. I just wanted to show how much fun I was having in the winter season with that Ford RS200.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AkTea0s86XcPiS_WivgrLJfI1nJg

Nice - gives me UK flashbacks. Is that your choice of music or the game’s?

Heh. That’s Timeless FM within the game. I switch to four different radio stations, but that’s definitely my favorite.

in DiRT Rally, the Ford RS200 was waaaaay too much car for me. It’s way too powerful with too little control. But because Horizon is forgiving with it’s tracks, the RS200 is just a perfect powerhouse that can overcome mistakes by powering through them.

Well, on higher difficulties, like Expert in that clip, you still lose the race, but you don’t lose as badly as if I’d made those kinds of mistakes in a less powerful car.

It’s a minor complaint, but gee it sure would be nice if this game would auto update while I wasn’t home, instead of having me sit through the opening videos, loading in, and then deciding it needs to boot me out to the Windows Store for an update. Especially since it doesn’t support the DS4 so I have to do a disable/enable dance with DS4Windows every time the game boots.

Well, I did some influence farming, came back to it and there were 9 wheel spins waiting on me. I hit $5000 one time and the rest were horns, clothes, and emotes… no cars. The spinner is fucking rigged.

I wouldn’t say it’s rigged, but yeah, RNG sucks.

The game is generous for the first 20 hours, I won more cars than in FH3 in that time. But even then, how it works the current wheelspin, it doesn’t feel good. I think yesterday I won seven spins and got 5 cosmetic items, 2000 credits and one (bad) car.

Yeah, this is a total shock for anyone used to Steam games. I don’t blame FH4, I blame a basically useless Xbox integration. Why on earth would you have me load first, then decide to check for updates?

On Xbox it functions basically the same as on Steam, so this must be a Windows Store thing.

Edit: actually, Steam is worse than Xbox since sometimes you have to restart Steam in order to force updates (doesn’t even work when you load the game as it just says invalid version if you’re connecting to a server).

Sorry, should have specified that I play Windows 10. Still, if your whole shtick is seamless integration across platforms, missing automatic updates on one seems like an issue you might want to address. It’s not huge, but it totally makes your platform integration feel cheap.

That and what looked to be an incredibly short list of games that are completely cross platform.

My point was that this has nothing to do with the Xbox integration.

This seems to be an issue specific to you, not a generic problem. I have never experienced this, nor heard any of my friends experience, and Steam has been my primary gaming platform for years. That would be as annoying!

I have friends who experience this all the time. It seems fairly common if you don’t have Steam running all the time. I usually do run it in the background all the time, so I rarely experience this, except when there’s been a Windows Update or if I have had the PC off for some days (for example when I’ve been travelling AND the game I want to play has had an update in the meantime).

This is what i’m driving atm.

I’m finishing up the game. I only have two more races to run to complete all of them (70). However, here it’s where the game fails. So many races, so many cars, and so little tools to handle them.

I would like to repeat again the races which I finished outside of the top 3, hell in a few of them I used the wrong car/tuning and ended in a super bad position.
But I can’t. I literally can’t because I don’t know which races are those ones. I can’t filter them by that data point, nor I can’t see leaderboards for the races in the map, nor going to the race itself. The information doesn’t exist.
Similarly I would like to use more the cars I haven’t which I barely drive, but I can’t order the car list by that parameter, I have to enter individually in each one to know.

The AI balance could have another pass, in the offroad races with low class cars it’s so easy to get 1st position, with even extra seconds, while X/S2 classes in asphalt are much harder.

It’s so cool that they put so much effort into how all these places look in the winter snow not just in the daytime but at night. Like those little playgrounds they have setup all over the map for players to battle in, at night they have pink or green or other lights setup all over the playground so the places look even better at night.

Wow, I’ve never heard of someone finishing the content in these games. I thought there was too much for human beings. Kudos to you, Sir.

Man, for being an ‘arcade’ racer, tuning matters a lot. I would dare to say it matters too much (and it’s too realistic!, it seems taken from Forza Motorsport), as otherwise FH has a strong ‘casual’ vibe.

I ran twice the final street race with a Koenigseg Agera. First time, I finished it last! second time I put the snow wheels, and finished second to last!
Third time, I used the best scored tuning profile, and completed the race 1st.

One thing that annoys is when you enter a race and it finishes and you have to drive what you raced. I like cruising in specific cars not the race cars. Why can’t it just put me back in the car i drove there in instead of me having to swap back

Tuning profiles can be a huge difference maker, if you’re not the best at driving games (like me). A lot of them are set up for maximum downforce, so you basically stick to the track, at the expense of some top end speed. Keep in mind that a lot of them are also swapping in upgraded parts though.

Cars like the Agera are just TOO fast, in my opinion. I don’t even bother with a ton of S2 class cars, or X class at all really, because they are so fast it’s a bit of a nightmare to drive in more than a straight line. In Forza Motorsport I don’t mind S2 class because you’re driving on flat tracks with lots of straights, but in Horizon 4, with small inclines and dips in mostly winding roads, and the narrower “tracks”, they are way harder to keep under control.

I did pretty much the entire road and street seres’ with an S1 class car, outside of two I did with a Vulcan FE tuned for downforce.

I really wish this weren’t the worse Horizon game but on every level it fails me. I already mentioned the stinginess but here are my points again.

1. Drivatar rewards in H3 were somewhere in the neighborhood of 50,000 credits per session. No drivatars in H4 (not the same anyway). Also there were the whale Drivatars in H3 that you could challenge and win a lot of money. Before you say “Rental Business” the max payout on that is like 12000 credits (IF you can finish the bullshit challenges). I see what they did, they tied Bucket List to dailies. I always pretty much ignored Bucket List so this is a complete pain in my ass.

2. VIP only doubles the meager race payout. No more doubling of spin rewards. I would never have paid for VIP if I had know how chintzy this game was going to be.

3. Clothes, horns, and emotes are bullshit. Nobody really wants that shit.

4. Now for my daily challenge. It wants 7,000,000 skill influence to finish it off. I ride around for 4 hours in my Barn Find Range Rover and finally accumulated 3.5 million before I finally went to bed thinking “I’ll finish this tomorrow.” Nope… reset my my points when I logged out. This game has absolutely no respect for my money or my time.

This list goes on and on. Multiplayer only (the single player is neutered). The whole race structure has been completely done away with. On the flip side, after the gutting the game has taken, I can see how they offered it on Game Pass.

Also, I hate Winter. When I realized that the seasons in my game were tied to online I was heartbroken.