Forza Horizon 4 - CaRPG in the UK

@Rock8man - what’s your XBox name? I need some more people on my Rivals list.

Rock8mnky.

This cross country series where you race Lancias across the English countryside this Season is one I played before in the Winter. Man, it was so different in the Spring. Instead of racing across snow fields I was racing over fields of fresh flowers and grass, and this time racing in my RWD 74 Lancia Stratos. That was a lot of fun and freakin’ hard.

Well done on beating my time! I did not get any notification in the my rivals menu. Too bad this would have been a cool feature.

Thanks I overlooked this option, not the clearest UI design if you ask me.

I’m still very confused by the UI as well. Other than the monthly Rivals course, where do I go for the rest of it? When I selected “myRivals”, instead of giving me a list of times I could beat from my friends list, like in previous games, it’s just an empty list. Apparently I don’t have any Rivals. What the hell does that even mean?

In previous Forza Horizon games, you’d get a constant stream of messages from a couple of things every day:

1. Your drivatar has been driving around and earned you this much money!
  2. So and so on your friends list has set a time, do you want to jump to it and try to beat it?

Both of those kinds of messages are gone, and I’m not even sure if you get any kind of messages any more. So how does the Rivals system even work anymore without the messages?

So I just bought Forza Horizon 3 for my new machine, which will be ready next week.

Why 3?

Because it’s cheaper than 4 (yes I know it’s on that pass thing but I’d rather own my own copy) and I’ve never owned a Forizon game before so I figured I’d start with the first one available for PC, then get 4 later.

I am super excited regardless.

Because it is light years better than 4.

3 on PC? Does it still have performance and crash issues, or has that all been eventually fixed?

Also, 4 is awesome simply thanks to the seasons and the matching weather. I don’t think I’d want to go back to a game where the map remains static.

(Speaking of FH3)

There are still some performance issues… you can get around them, if you have an expensive, modern cpu, on the other hand.

Which I will, so yay!

Is it really?

Not really. But it is excellent. I’d put them on par with each other. There’s things 3 does better (Rivals, variety of geography in Australia, and a couple of other things). But there’s things I like better about 4 (I love the UK countryside as presented with 4 seasons, and I like some of the Showcase events much better than the ones in 3, etc).

They’re both great games. I wouldn’t skip 3 though. 3 was such a universal improvement over 2, I wouldn’t want to go back. But 4 is a sideways step, so people should experience both, IMO.

OK, let me clarify. On XBone I think it’s better but I am clearly in the minority here in thinking that FH4 sucks. My PC will not handle either game.

I’ve tried to get into it but everything I loved about 3 was taken out of 4. Ultimately it boils down to the stinginess of the spin system and my utter and complete hatred of the addition of clothes, horns, and emotes to the RNG.

Good to know guys. I’ll eventually get 4 I’m sure when it’s on sale, but I wanted to start with 3.

Me and @robc04 made some blueprints for each other to beat. If you’re on our friends list, you should get access to that as well. My gamertag is Rock8mnky. I believe I was quite proud of a couple of them. I always specifically chose which music track to play while doing mine, so the music is part of the experience.

But that’s for when you get farther in the game.

Change of topic:

Last night I did the seasonal road race series in Edinburgh. God, that brought back memories. My cousins live in Edinburgh, so I visited in 82, 84, 86 and 87, but I haven’t been back since. This particular track that they chose was also in the game Project Gotham Racing 2, which I played a LOT, so it was also nostalgic for that reason.

I have noticed btw, that Edinburgh now seems to have a rail/train/lightrail system on its streets that wasn’t there in the 80s.

Ohhh, apparently I can add friends. My gamertag is brianrubin if y’all wanna add me.

I got my monthly rival time down to 56 seconds which puts me into the top 3,000, but there are still people four seconds fast than me.

Setups are locked, so I’m going to have to watch some ghosts to see how they’re doing that.

I added you but I’m not playing 4 yet, still bombing around in 3.

That’s really impressive. I think my time was around 59 seconds? I was able to beat @Dirklectisch because his mistake was at the bottom of the hill, which actually made him lose a LOT of time going up that hill. So as long as I did okay on that uphill section, but wasn’t as good as him on a lot of other turns, I still came out ahead.

I suspect that uphill section might be where people can gain the most time if they can do it perfectly.

I’m looking forward to Qt3ers’ creations in the route creator. It’s getting added on Thursday: