Forza Motorsport (2023) - Raytracing, time-of-day, and a firehose of cars

Looks insane.

This totally looks amazing… part of me has to wonder though, wtf is the point of rendering individual blades of grass, when you’re flying by at 100+mph.

Interesting little tidbit here:

“Our ethos is that we’re shaping the future of automotive entertainment. So to do that, for the last 10 years, that meant coming out with AAA games every holiday,” Greenawalt says, explaining the evolution in approach. “Now, it actually means creating a platform inside of Game Pass, that keeps players coming back again and again and again and again. And builds a community bigger and bigger and bigger, where the ultimate home for competition with cars becomes Motorsport .”

Bolding mine.

The difference between the presentation video and the previous installment on the same track is nuts.

Does this have hot lap leaderboards and if so can it be filtered to stock car setups without tuning?

I love fighting for the fastest lap times with friends, mostly here on Qt3, and I’d like it even more if it were easy to do so with identical car setups.

Forza Motorsport 2023: Cheaper Than a Tank of Gas

Maple Valley sure is looking nice. The trees alone are a huge improvement over 7.

They 99% will rob. That was a feature in older games. Dont know about filters though.

Nice, thanks!

New info page:

Little faq:

What stood out to me was the 20 environments. 5 will be new. So we’re losing … 18? environments + tracks from the previous version. Hope they aren’t my favorites!

All I really care about is if they’ve fixed the career. The driving and graphics in the last one still hold up for me.

Cover is here. I guess one of these cars is a Cadillac? And one is … a Corvette or something?

Cadillac GTP prototype race car on right, c8 Vette “probably” street car on left. The Caddy races in IMSA in US and WEC/Le Mans internationally.

Sounds fairly promising:

Esaki described Forza Horizon as “a whole new take on falling in love with cars.” We saw a career mode event called the Builders Cup, which began with a narrated showcase of a trio of cars. After picking one to roll with, you then head into “open practice,” where you get to know the car. These sessions are packed full of stats and challenges; you earn Car Experience Points (CXP) for every corner you take, and the closer to perfection you are the more CXP you’ll get. CXP is specific to each car, and is used to upgrade parts and customize vehicle performance.

After open practice, you head into a race, where there’s a new “challenge the grid” system that lets you essentially bet against your racing talent. You choose where on the grid to start and how fast your AI opponents are, with higher rewards as the difficulty scales up. After competing in the race itself, you’ll earn money for new vehicles as well as more of the car-specific CXP. Then it’s onto the next open practice, more tuning and customization, and more races.

Not photorealistic enough. Looks no different than Outrun.

That sounds like it could be a perfect blend of the career/car progression Tom was looking for in the racing sim thread, together with the more realistic driving models that the older Forza Motorsport games aspired to. I have no frame of reference for where they fit in compared to Gran Turismo, Project Cars, and the “real” sims.

Making a persistent platform has worked out well for iRacing. Having a modern graphics engine to go with one would be a nice improvement if the underlying physics are at all comparable. (In my opinion, iRacing is actually not particularly realistic at the tire feel, except for braking, which it does quite well.)

I see what you guys are talking about now. They showed off the new game here:

They even called it a CaRPG!

This looks a lot more appealing to me than the open world Forza games, and the building screen has a similar thing going on as Wreckfest with upgrades affecting your car class (I’m sure this is in other games, I just don’t have another point of reference). The open practice and wager/betting system vs. difficulty sounds very interesting. I always liked the preparatory phase of the Colin McRae/Dirt Rally games where you did a test drive to check your car tweaks.

I’m not used to seeing cars actually taking corners after all the Wreckfest corner bombing and wipeouts :)

Like, uh, Forza.

Hah! I didn’t last long with Forza so that obviously got lost in all the open world noise. Funnily enough I followed it up with Wreckfest. Thanks Game Pass!