Founding Fathers Forum Game: A republic, if you can keep it.

President Dallas delegates to William Rufus King.

William Rufus King takes a fact-finding trip to the Great Lakes and invites James Buchanan (@Cuthbert) to accompany him as a Congressional Liaison with the Executive on this potential expansion.

King

William Rufus King, after returning to the capital with James Buchanan, then appoints Thaddeus Stevens (@Panzeh) Secretary of State to see to the admission of Michigan as a state

vote yes with all my 16 votes

@Cuthbert

Buchanan had a…memorable time with Mr King, so 18 votes yes

@Panzeh

Assuming Stevens accepts the Sec of State office he now becomes the Liberal Party leader.

Why?456

He has more popularity now than Monroe.

Edit - Or he will once he accepts. They were tied at 5 so Monroe got it for being the older statesman.

AFK until later tonight. Will vote Yes on Michigan with 13 votes when it’s my turn.

Oh I see. I thought there was some thing with his being Sec’y State. Which there kind of is, but not directly.

Nope, not directly. Just the extra pop gives him leadership.

Stevens accepts and I vote yes with 11 votes

@Navaronegun, you don’t have enough to block this one even if you wanted to, so Michigan becomes a state. There was much rejoicing.

Didn’t know I was up. Late night at the WH last night. Next issue, Mr. God Voice Man (@CF_Kane)

The final item for President Dallas’s term concerned the Florida territory. Florida, a colony of the Spanish Crown, had been the source of a number of raids on the United States by the Seminole Tribe. Florida had become a burden on the Spanish, who could not afford to garrison the colony or send additional settlers. Spanish Envoy Luis de Onis y Gonzalez-Vara reached out to Secretary of State Thaddeus Stevens with a proposition: Spain would cede Florida to the United States in exchange for establishing a boundary between the Viceroyalty of New Spain and the United States.

The Adams [Stevens]-Onis treaty is a difficulty 5 issue for the Secretary of State and Congress. If resolved, Reserves -5, Popularity +2. If failed/ignored, Popularity -2.

@Navaronegun, will you allow Secretary Stevens to go forward with negotiations, or will you instruct him to ignore the Spanish offer?

Appoint De Witt Clinton (@Ironsight) Secretary of War

Appoint Daniel Webster Special Envoy to Venezuela

Appoint James Monroe Chief of the Census Office and Albert Gallatin Inspector of Imported Cheeses, 'cause he’s French and whatnot.

It’s a Big Swamp…but I want it. Then we can send the Army down there to deal with the Seminoles. I hate Bobby Bowden.

Send the Issue to Secretary Stevens (@Panzeh) and give him one Personal IP to help him out on this one. A little Dallas magic to smooth this one through.

Stevens will spend the assigned IP and one of my IP to send this to congress.

Mr. Chief of the Census Office (@Brooski) your faction is up to vote.

Is there also a Secretary of the Treasury to appoint?

I assumed that was the census? Or possibly the cheeses

Did James Monroe actually get appointed to anything?