Founding Fathers Forum Game: A republic, if you can keep it.

Rules and other useful info can be found here: https://upandawaygames.com/FoundingFathers/

I sent a PM to Rick Heli via BGG telling him we were starting our forum game in case he wanted to watch.

The initial sets of Statesmen for each player are now up in the second post in this thread, as well as the tracker. I will PM the players their cards as soon as I get the deck setup tonight.

So as soon as the setup is done, we start right in on the issue phase?

@Cuthbert - I believe that is correct.

Also @CF_Kane - I think you need a way to track faction influence on your spreadsheet in addition to individual influence that you have already.

It is at the top of each faction in their list of statesmen. Everyone starts with three.

OK, I see it now. Thanks.

Guess we’re just waiting on El Presidente to kick things off unless he wants to wait for his game to arrive.
Also, I plan to play a card when we do start so I could do it now, or wait, as you prefer.

I believe you can play a card at any time in the issues phase.

@Brooski would you like me to reveal the first issue facing this new nation, or would you like to make cabinet appointments first? You can hold off on appointments until they become relevant, but you must fill all of the offices before the end of the Issues Phase.

The partisan offices are:
Secretary of State
Secretary of the Treasury
Secretary of War
Special Envoy

When appointed, the Secretary of State gains +2 popularity. The other partisan offices gain +1

The two special offices are
Chief Justice
General

Chief Justice has a lifetime appointment, decides ties if there is no Presidential winner after an election goes to the Congress, and may someday be able to use the theory of judicial review.

The General must have military skill.

You can appoint one official from outside the Conservative Party, but the remainder must be conservative.

OK, I’ll kick things off while we wait for @Brooski.

JQAdams

John Quincy Adams, from the great state of Massachusetts, joins my faction. He is a Conservative with 4 ability, 1 popularity, and he adds 2 votes to my faction. I would also like to point out that he would make a great addition to any President’s cabinet. :)

Hello everyone,
Good to see you playing and thanks for inviting me to watch!
Great job on the spreadsheet! I would like to suggest a small improvement. Under where it lists the number of Votes each faction has, it would be great to display the total, perhaps also half the total, which is what the President needs to aim for in getting things passed.
Anyway, have fun!

Thanks for watching! I always appreciate a Fifth Dimension reference in an Avatar.

Alexander Hamilton makes an Inspiring Speech. He is Very Handsome and definitely not doomed to die a premature death no sirree. +1 Influence to Hamilton

Are we editing the spreadsheet or just indicating in the thread and having @CF_Kane make the changes?

I think we should let @CF_Kane edit the spreadsheet. Welcome to @spotlightgames and thanks for making this great game!

Great to hear, thanks!
A couple other suggestions for the spreadsheet if you like?

• might be handy to put the age numbers on the statesman sheet and short by that as well
  • probably want to put the resolved issues on its own sheet because it can get rather long; guess the taxes could go there also

Thanks for the suggestions. I will do in the next revision (once my toddler goes to sleep).

If John Marshall isn’t Chief Justice at games end, I will be sorely disappointed.

And if he can’t slap Jefferson around to make that role more important, doubly so.

@Panzeh I’m rooting for you because of the internal contradictions inherent in your members :)

Internal contradictions are my specialty!

Looking good. I don’t seem to see New Jersey on the map?

I’d like to pretend that it was a comment on New Jersey. It is there now. Hard to do a map of the US via spreadsheet.

@cannedwombat, oh map guru for all situations, can you aid Charles Foster Kane (I’ve heard he may have deep pockets)?

I can probably come up with something… I don’t know enough about the game to know what would be useful, doubly so in a forum setting.

If there’s a will, I’ll find a way.