Founding Fathers Forum Game: A republic, if you can keep it.

Agreed. Vote starts with @Brooski

12 votes NAY

@Cuthbert

This Bank is both proper and definitively Constitutional. 12 votes For Yes

@Panzeh

12 Votes No

This new ‘Bank’ is just an attempt to create a Royal Treasury, unaccountable to the people.

@Ironsight.

12 votes Aye ladies (oops I meant laddies!) Happy St. Patty’s Day.

vote tied 24-24 once again. @Navaronegun

Vote Yea with 7 votes.

Don’t mess with St. Patrick’s Day…

Thus ends the Term, @CF_Kane

Many historians say that the fight over the National Bank is what truly escalated the conflict between the Federalist-National Party and the Democratic-Republicans. While there was widespread agreement among the Federalist political class that a National Bank was both desirable and constitutional, the Democratic Republicans felt strongly that such a concentration of Federal power was inconsistent with the liberties guaranteed the States under the Constitution.

It turned out to be a legacy of George Washington that ultimately ended the debate over the bank. Chief Justice Crawford, appointed by Washington to replace the late Chief Justice Franklin, heard a case from the Democratic Republicans of Virginia challenging the constitutionality of the Bank. Up until this time, no act of Congress had been challenged in such a way. In the case of Jefferson v. Adams, the Supreme Court determined that the National Bank exceeded the authority of Congress, and was therefore unconstitutional. This case is now studied in American law schools, cited as the origin of Judicial Review.

@Panzeh plays Theory of Judicial Review. Chief Justice Crawford invalidates the National Bank as unconstitutional. The issue has no effect. Create a National Bank is added to the Era B issue deck.

Revenue Phase

The United States is on firm financial footing. With revenues of 56, the United States wipes out its debts and now has reserves of $50, waiting for a rainy day.

The Election of 1800

The election of 1800 would pit two old rivals against each other. John Adams and Thomas Jefferson had sparred in Congress since the early days of the Washington administration, and Jefferson brought the case that ultimately brought down John Adams’s son’s great achievement, the National Bank.

Unlike the election of 1796, the general consensus among the public shifted towards the Democratic Republicans, who now have a slight edge among the American public.

@Navaronegun, as John Adams is the Federalist-National Party’s nominee, and the Party does not have public support, you have the obligation to select a running mate first.

We select that great Statesman, Alexander Hamilton (@Cuthbert) for the same ticket that brought these United States solvency.

Your turn to pick a VP @Panzeh.

Jefferson chooses James Monroe @Brooski as his running mate.

Hamilton accepts

Can someone with a physical copy post a picture of the map as it stands this election?

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/17lKDjD9JLfn84e2jtxls1PVcICzPNE7m3iOjHNKUd_c/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks @spotlightgames!

Sure. Feel free to copy and use if you wish.

At the risk of looking a gift horse in the mouth, would it be possible for you to post a complete map in google draw that I could use for the game? I can then copy it and remove or X out states as needed.

I would make one myself, but I don’t have digital versions of the cards.

It takes some time and effort to process them all, but I can probably have something ready by the next era.

@spotlightgames, thanks, that would be a huge help. Obviously we would not need it before then.