Founding Fathers Forum Game: A republic, if you can keep it.

Sure, sorry if this derailed progress.

It was waiting for @brooski to say whether Monroe accepted VP? and if he did, where his first cube would be?

Veep accepted

@Panzeh, @Brooski, would either of you like to delay initial placement (assuming not, since it does not matter). If not, Jefferson places in VA. @Brooski, where does Monroe place (Kentucky, North Carolina, or Maryland).

Monroe places in Maryland

Here is a photo of the USA for @Cuthbert’s benefit.

Adams places in NE, Hamilton in NY. Over to @Panzeh for Jefferson’s placement, with @Brooski on deck.

Ah, I see @spotlightgames posted a pic already—thanks!

Jefferson places in Carolinas

Monroe places in Pencil Vania

@Navaronegun and @Cuthbert are blocked in. Any card play By either of you?

No card play and a medium-gracious concession speech.

(As an aside I just bought my copy, this is a lot of fun!)

No card play

The Election of 1800

President Adams and Vice President Hamilton attempt to repeat their strategy from 1796, and sweep into victory by taking the Northern states. Unfortunately, they did not account for the turn in popular support towards the Democratic-Republicans. The Virginians, Thomas Jefferson and James Monroe, were able to successfully sweep every state outside of the New England states and New York, winning by 88 Electoral Votes to 50.

(Jefferson becomes President and gains 3 popularity. Monroe becomes Vice President and gains 1 popularity.)

This marked the first peaceful transfer of power between parties in the United States, and was proof that, just maybe, the American experiment could survive.

Following his defeat, John Adams retires to his home in Boston, handing over reigns of the Federalist-National party to his son, John Quincy Adams.

(John Adams retires, scoring @Navaronegun 14 points. John Quincy Adams becomes the leader of the Conservative party, with 10 popularity. Hamilton is second with 9.)

Influence

1. Each faction receives one influence.
  2. Hamilton and Burr receive one influence due to their special abilities.
  3. John Quincy Adams and Thomas Jefferson receive one influence as party leaders.

Draft

Cards are distributed in the following order:

1. @Cuthbert.
  2. @Ironsight
  3. @Panzeh
  4. @Navaronegun
  5. @Brooski

I will distribute now, and then we can move into the newspaper phase. @Panzeh and @Ironsight control the decision to publish Liberal and Conservative papers, respectively.

For what it’s worth, I am loving moderating this game. I can’t run RPGs at the moment due to lack of time and players, but this scratches some of the same itch. But with added history!

Hm, looking over the expansion rules, are there any we should backport? The variable wars rules, or the one that you can’t play any statesmen older than one who died of old age?

I wouldn’t institute any new rules that we didn’t start the game with.

I agree with @Brooski, although if we intend to continue this game through the newest expansion (through the First World War), I may need to swap out some cards per the rules for the new expansion. The only meaningful effects are in eras we have not reached yet, so it should not be a huge deal. I’ll inventory the changes when my copy arrives and we can discuss.

Have heard of another public game starting up and apparently they plan to add the Build Congressional Support action, giving players a fourth way to spend their precious IP. :)