Founding Fathers Forum Game: A republic, if you can keep it.

@CF_Kane, regarding play, is there anything we should be doing now, or do things begin when the General makes his decisions for the Issue Phase?

You need to pay your dues first, son.

images

:) The Garden State?

Yes, pretty tricky business. Almost wonder if it would be easier to draw a layout of the state cards using Google Draw and track it on that…

@Navaronegun - Some of you geezers need to retire so the country can have some fresh new leadership.

Regarding what we can do now, anyone can play an action card but that’s it. Otherwise we are waiting on @Brooski

You really shouldn’t talk to your Daddy like that.

The most useful thing we do now, while we wait for Bruce, is maybe to do some campaigning for offices. Especially for the liberal statesmen, of which Washington may only pick one. He has Madison, so it may take some convincing to get him to take Jefferson or one of the other liberals.

Whoa are we starting? I don’t have my game. Let me get on this tonight.

You should have a link from me with the information you need to make initial decisions in your PMs.

I don’t think there is much reason to appoint officers before their are issues to resolve, so if you’d like I can reveal the first issue.

@Navaronegun

daddy

Go ahead.

While we are waiting, some information:

At the beginning of the game, the United States has just abandoned the Articles of Confederation and ratified the Constitution. The new Government has not created any taxes or tariffs, which means that Revenue is currently -30, and reserves are currently zero. Sectional tension begins at zero, although the issue of slavery in the south is likely to inflame passions.

Beginning%20Game%20State

Right now Brooski has 18 votes in Congress, out of 49 total. In fact, he has enough such that he and any other player except Navaronegun can vote together and pass a law, barring influence expenditure or card play from the other factions. Every faction starts with 3 influence, and Alexander Hamilton has picked one up by giving an important speech.

Votes%20Turn%201

Looking at the full set of Statesmen, organized by Party, we see 10 Conservatives, 5 Liberals, and 1 who can be in either party. Conservatives have two statesmen with 4 ability (John Adams and John Quincy Adams), and two with 3 (George Washington and Alexander Hamilton). Liberals have three statesmen with ability 3 (Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, and James Madison).

In terms of men with military experience, other than Washington, who is serving as president, the Conservatives have Alexander Hamilton, William Henry Harrison, Thomas Pinckey, and Charles C. Pinckney. The Liberals have only Aaron Burr.

@Navaronegun always gets the best set of statemen!

He also always gets the lowest vote total.

I say @Brooski rigged it. @Navaronegun might’ve done it, too.

That’s actually what I was referring to!

Hi,
I used Google Draw to make a graphical version of the map, just the initial states for starters. You could draw candidate names on this for each election if you want. Here’s the link:
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/17lKDjD9JLfn84e2jtxls1PVcICzPNE7m3iOjHNKUd_c/edit?usp=sharing

@spotlightgames - Nice!

@CF_Kane - So what’s our first issue mr. moderator? :)

British Attacks on Shipping

The first issue facing the new American republic is an old enemy, now wreaking havoc on American shipping. The British, despite the 1783 Treaty of Paris, have once again began to prey on American merchant ships, impressing sailors and confiscating cargo.

The public calls for war, while cooler heads say negotiation will resolve the matter. A war with Britain would likely be a debacle for the Republic, but may be popular as a show of resolve.

British Attacks on Shipping is a difficulty 5 challenge that may be resolved in two ways:

Option 1: War! (2 Popularity). Requires action by the Secretary of War and approval by Congress: Public Support will move two towards Liberal. 1 Influence Point will go to Washington, the Conservative Leader. Reserves will be reduced by 20. Maine and Michigan will be removed from the game as Britain seizes the territory.

Option 2: Negotiate. (-2 Popularity). Requires action by the Envoy and Congress. 4 Influence Points to Washington, the Conservative leader. Public Support 2 towards Liberal. May be sabotaged if someone is holding the appropriate card.

Failed/Ignored: Public Support 2 away from President’s Party. Reserves will be reduced by 36.

A quick primer on the Issue Phase:

The President reveals an issue card. The card will indicate who needs to resolve the issue, and if Congress needs to approve the resolution. In this case, the President needs to decide on a course of action (War, Negotiate, or Ignore), and hand it to the appropriate officer (War or Envoy). The officer must then resolve the issue. For an officer to resolve the issue, his ability, plus any spent influence points, must exceed the issue’s difficulty rating.

Players may agree to exchange influence, unplayed cards, and the promise of future favors at any time. Players do not need to follow through on future actions, so buyer beware!

Once an issue has been resolved by the officer, it may be required to go to Congress for approval. The officer returns the card to the President, and he calls for a vote. Voting proceeds to the left of the President, with the President having the final vote.

If Congress approves the resolution, the results happen and the officer spends his influence points. If Congress rejects the resolution, the failed result happens, and the officer spends half the influence points that he would have spent (rounded down).

A player may spend influence at the time they vote to buy votes in congress, at 3 votes per influence point. In the event of a tie, the Vice President acts as the tie breaker.

Assuming Congress agrees to the resolution, the results are applied. In addition, both the President and the responsible officer gain (or lose) popularity.

Absent card instructions to the contrary, successfully resolved issues move to the resolved issues pile, and failed/ignored issues are removed from the game.

@ Brooski, over to you to appoint a Secretary of War or Special Envoy and resolve.

Can anyone be the Envoy, @CF_Kane?

As much as I don’t want to give the Liberals a victory, we really can’t afford war right now, in my humble opinion, Mr. President (@Brooski).

I believe so although if @Brooski appoints a liberal then that can be the only liberal in his cabinet.

However we can’t let the Brits push us around. We need a military response to this affront! Alexander Hamilton is our best military leader and he needs to be appointed to prosecute this war.