Founding Fathers Forum Game: A republic, if you can keep it.

@Cuthbert

pass

@Panzeh

pass @Ironsight

@Ironsight told me that he would pass and take the card.

We now move into the Issues Phase

@Panzeh, do you have any business before the first issue is revealed?

Let’s head to the First Issue

Confirmed. Pass and just take the card. @CF_Kane

@Ironsight, card now in your hand. Preparing first issue now.

After the Jefferson administration took power in 1800, it was quickly faced with an issue that would continue to rule American government for decades after: the problem of slavery. In this case, it was a revolt of slaves in Jefferson’s native Virginia.

Virginia Slave Revolt is a difficulty 3 issue which must be resolved by the General. If resolved, no effect. If failed or ignored, -2 popularity; public support moves 3 towards Conservatives.

Play Give an Important Speech on JEfferson

Appoint T. Pinckney as General(Current General is not Liberal) and give him 1 IP, use faction IP and 1 IP for Pinckney to resolve the issue

On to issue 2.

@Panzeh, nice move. I never thought of appointing a general not of the President’s party to replace one not of the President’s party, but it is clearly not prohibited in the rules.

As an observer with an unclear grasp of the rules. Is Panzeh trying to sandbag this crisis to intentionally fail and hurt the liberal party in favor of his conservative one?

In 1802, Federalists in Congress proposed the sedition act, which would be used to root out anti-American activities. This was generally opposed by the Democratic-Republicans, who saw it as a tool to punish their partisans in the Federalist controlled courts.

Seditition Act is a difficulty 4 issue for the President and Congress. If resolved, it gives 3IP to the Liberal Leader and shifts public support 4 to the Conservatives; +1 popularity. If failed or cancelled, it provides 1IP to the Conservative leader. If
Ignored, it adds 3IP to the Liberal leader.

@Panzeh to submit to Congress or ignore.

I would rather not spend the IP, but pretty much every other potential General candidate would probably tank the issue to help their influential conservatives and there’s no popularity to be gained in it.

Before we go any further, please see the message I sent you @CF_Kane.

No, he managed to pass it in the only way possible. The only available Liberal generals are controlled by folks who seem to be in the Federalist coalition. They would receive the issue and then ignore it in order to increase Conservative/Federalist support. By appointing a general he controls, he can spend the required influence and avoid a further shift towards the Conservative/Federalist faction.

Thanks! It’s been fascinating to watch play out, now to resume lurking. I only asked because this seemed a particularly interesting play.

Also, for any who are looking for the rules reference, see page 7. “A statesman may be only be appointed to the office of general if the office is vacant, the new nominee has a higher ability, or the holder is not of the President’s party.

Lurkers welcome. Feel free to comment when you feel it appropriate.

Jefferson chooses to ignore the Alien and Sedition Act

Americans must be free to choose brotherhood with the French or whoever, as it is completely outside the prnciples of this Republic that men be forced against their will to choose one side or the other.

1802 was notable not just for Jefferson’s decision to ignore calls for a Sedition Act. In addition, a notable orator and personality of the Revolution died at his home in Virginia, surrounded by his loved ones. Patrick Henry dies.