Founding Fathers Forum Game: A republic, if you can keep it.

Gentlemen,

Why ye always strive to lift the cudgel, mayhaps when thouest True Nature and the gifts of Providence lead Otherways? Nay, the brethren of the Great Isles may have been our enemies, yet even now it is within our hearts and the Interests of State to sit and speak as Gentle Men to Gentle Men.

[EDIT]

Choice B resolved (Negotiate)
Appoint Alexander Hamilton (@Cuthbert) Special Envoy

I don’t think you can appoint the VP as an office holder too. You can delegate the issue to him and then it would be up to him to appoint the special envoy. At least I “think” that’s how it would work.

@Cuthbert Alexander Hamilton has 3 ability, which means you will need to spend 2 influence to resolve negotiations. If you do not spend the influence, it will trigger the failed effect.

So, as I understand it, I now:
ACCEPT the office and gain 1 popularity
Choose to pass or fail the challenge, I will try to PASS it.
It’s difficulty five, ability 3
I need to spend two Influence, so I spend one of Hamilton’s and one of mine.
We pass the issue, and for his trouble Hamilton and Washington each lose two popularity.
This is all subject to approval by Congress.

Is that all correct?

Indeed. If congress rejects the proposal you lose only one of the two popularity. Otherwise you are correct.

I thought if Congress rejected I lose half the influence? And no popularity because the fail result is applied instead.

You are right. I meant influence, sorry.

Well, I believe I’m to the left of @Brooski so I begin the voting? Hamilton’s faction casts its 8 votes for Yes

Not sure I understand what you are saying regarding popularity. The Failed/Ignored result shows -2 popularity so if the issue fails in Congress you and the President both lose two popularity. But that is not in addition to the two you both lose for picking option B. So either way you both lose two (net -1 for Hamilton) the way I read the rules.

I believe it is @Panzeh’s turn to vote.

The nascent Revolution in France is something that we should truly be supporting- a nation that helped ours should have us returning the favor. I vote no with 9 votes.

I vote No with 8 votes. We do not negotiate with British terrorists.

Looking at the card, you’re right-the description up-thread did not have the -2 popularity in the fall section.

Clear the books, heal the nation. No new wars. God Bless President Washington. Vote yea wth 6 votes

I voteth AYE: 18 Votes

@CF_Kane, I believe the Anti-Federalists have been ploughed under.

Will have a write up shortly.

British predation on American ships cried out for a response. While the anti-federalists, led by Jefferson and Burr, pushed for war, Washington believed that a war with Britain would be futile, and that a negotiated solution was a better option. Although Hamilton was able to reach a settlement with the British, and Washington was able to use his influence in the Congress to push it through, it proved to be very unpopular. Hamilton and Washington saw their public standing diminished, and the Anti-Federalist party, soon to be branded the Democratic-Republicans, saw a shift of popular support in their favor. Washington was still the most popular Federalist (with John Adams close behind), and so leader of the party. His clout in Congress results in his gaining influence over the chamber.

(Results: +2 Popular Support for the Liberals, +4IP to Washington, -2 Popularity to Hamilton, Washington, -1 influence Hamilton, -1 influence Cuthbert).

@Brooski, do you want me to deal the next issue card, or will you make appointments or propose taxes or tariffs?

I would like to suggest that we pass Tariff I as our next action. What sayest thou?

The Tariff Act of 1789 was the Washington Administration’s second major action. Proposed in response to continued British hostility, the Tariff Act would impose a 5% Tariff across the board on imported goods. It would also help to protect America’s infant industries from being undercut by cheaper British imports.

Tariff I requires a Treasury Secretary and Consent of Congress to pass. It is a difficulty 3 issue, provides +2 popularity to the President and Treasury if it passes, and adds 40 to revenue.

It also has a picture of boats!