Four 30 Rock Episodes Being Scrubbed from Internet

The reason this doesn’t make me sad: I’m an optimist and I believe one day society will be able to observe past social taboos without panic.

I might be dead, but that’s okay.

Yes, we see that part similarly. I’m not sad because we are improving long term. Just about losing media that wasn’t part of the problem.

Clearly. I find myself casting about through my favorite media trying to anticipate what might be next so I can get out in front of it. Considering how blindsided I was by this, though, I doubt I stand much chance of predicting where the axe will fall next.

Sometimes I think if humanity stops becoming a global death cult, one area that might change in the next 50 years is our deplorable treatment of animals.

Give it a generation or two of changed norms, it is easy to imagine veganism being part of assumed morality. In this fantasy world, a faction could easily want to censor any media that depicts the eating of meat, even in scenes that are written to make fun of meat-eaters.

I think you’re going to see lab grown meat address that issue, not veganism, because the latter isn’t nutritionally sustainable for many people.

So back up every piece of media ever made is what you’re telling me. Got it. :)

Yes you’re probably right, but in either case the 30 rock scene where alec baldwin sits down to eat a real steak will not pass muster!

I also just realised this isn’t p&r, so forgive the opinionated aside. It is interesting to try and guess where mainstream morality will go in the next generation. Hopefully not backwards.

Indeed. Speculations on the future of morality would make a pretty good P&R topic.

Remember when people used to shake hands and stand within 6 feet of each other? Idiots!

Those episodes exist and we all know it’s impossible to erase anything. Rather than trying they should have sincerely apologized, perhaps put a disclaimer at the beginning of each episode, and left it there.

What about Blazing Saddles?

I still remember when I worked in HR, and in a coffee conversation, quoted it, while my boss and his assistant were there. It was the miner as the Sheriff first came to town.

Fortunately, they all knew me well enough to know that it was just me quoting a movie, and were of the generation who would be very familiar with it.

I shudder to think of the reaction today if I had been around just Gen Z folks.

Blazing Saddles could never be made today. Damn shame. Another movie that couldn’t be made today (and somewhat more obscure) is Putney Swope.

You probably couldn’t get away with Dr.Strangelove either

I don’t remember blackface in Dr. Strangelove.

Could you be referring to “they make such bloody good cameras?” That still seems pretty harmless.

No, I was just using it as an example of something politically incorrect enough to not pass muster today.

I’m really not seeing the supposed political incorrectness. It’s a far cry from its near contemporary Breakfast at Tiffany’s, which good lord Mickey Rooney.

I’m not saying that there aren’t many classics that couldn’t be made today “as-is”, but having recently just watched Dr. Strangelove, I’m wondering why you specified it as politically incorrect.

I recently watched Lindsey Ellis’ video about two alien invasion narratives from two different cultures, 90s Emmerich’s Independence Day, and post-9/11 Spielberg’s War of the World.

I hadn’t realized, but she’s kind of right in that there was a certain type of disaster movie people just didn’t want to see anymore after 9/11. But now we’re sort of cycled back to being able to watch those types of movies again. I feel like the kinds of things being discussed in this thread are similar in what viewing audiences are willing to watch and not watch. And maybe you don’t even have to wait around for the culture to come back as you’re fearing. On the other hand, maybe you’re right, and it won’t come back within our life-times. But it will be back. It will cycle around.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/heipep/my_employer_has_decided_that_veganism_is_now_a/

My employer has decided that veganism is now a condition for employment. I am not and have no intentions of becoming vegetarian or vegan, is this something that my employment can be terminated over? [MA]

I remember back in the 90s when Odd World: Abe’s Odyssey came out there was a bonus making-of disc that came in the box. I remember my wife (then girlfriend) and I being enamoured with the game and actually taking the time to watch that disc. The most memorable part of the whole affair was seeing interviews with the dev team, and seeing some manager type happily proclaiming that she doesn’t permit her employees at that studio to eat meat. I didn’t know exactly why at the time, but I remember that never sat right with me, and I was pissed off for those employees who had to put up with such nonsense just to have a job.

First they came for 30 Rock…how soon before they come for the real classics?

Same theme, different show:

Scrubs was surprisingly good for a few seasons but derailed pretty dramatically and doesn’t rewatch all that well IMO. Still, this business of deleting episodes bothers me on a fundamental level.

I feel like we should be taking bets on what series will be next.

It’s just stupid, because nothing can actually be deleted. It’ll just create a market for those episodes. Like I said earlier they should have profusely apologized then put a disclaimer before each episode.