Fox News thread of fine journalism

It’s more like a rising scandal that will slowly build to a climax before it explodes all over your Facebook.

What?

Yea, kind of a strange presidential portrait, but Obama picked the artist and so probably had an idea of what he was going to get. I heard about 10 minutes of the artist talking last night and he was very articulate, and had an artists excuse for the flowers. Kind of strange symbolism.

Did you just call a black man ‘very articulate’ as a compliment? Dude, if you are unaware of the history of that phrase, do look it up. If ‘anglo-american’ surprised you, this one may floor you.

Gawd I hope you are kidding. So by calling him very articulate did I somehow comment on how most are not articulate? :)

He was with the woman who did Michelle’s portrait. I think in 10 minutes she said about 4 words, the guy did all the talking.

I’ve seen that argument before, that referring to a specific African-American person as “Articulate” or “Intelligent” is then inferring that they are the exception to the rule for their race. I call fucking bullshit.

If we’re going to just start banning words because of how some person somewhere feels they may be inferred, rather than how the words are actually used in context, then we’re done as a society.

If I call a person of Asian descent “Articulate”, am I saying “oh, it’s so surprising that they don’t have an accent!”. Of course not, that’s ridiculous. When I call a person “articulate” I am referring to their ability to communicate their thoughts and ideas on a level that is easily understandable while also being intelligent, complex and relatable. It is a term of respect no matter what the color of the skin of the person whom I am describing, and to insinuate otherwise is the worst form of racism.

How’s that for fucking articulate?

It’s… .not in certain scenarios. That’s not really an unknown either; it’s a fact. I am not sure that’s happening here but this is not something Banzai just pulled out of his ass. This is a real thing.

50 posts on this tangent incoming…

This is key. Said scenario is not in play here. I get that it is a thing, and can be used to degrade, as can just about any words when strung together with malicious intent. My point is that to call @Scuzz to task for posting it in this thread, where that is clearly not the case, is not only ridiculous, but insulting. And to suggest we ban using common words to compliment one another simply because some racist jackasses have tried to twist their meanings in the past…where does that end?

It’s dog whistle bullshit of the worst kind. Not every phrase or adjective is dog whistling, is that a word?

It’s contextual, and for Slainte to suggest it’s always a compliment is a blatant and complete disregard to actual history. For you to try to pretend that words only exist by dictionary definition is also a blatant disregard to real life.

Again, I am not sure if you meant it that way, but I do know you drop into this area all the time showing a complete lack of awareness, intentional or otherwise.

Helpful suggestion: everyone is correct!

And Scuzz is understandably feeling defensive about it. That wasn’t his intent.

Uh, “It’s contextual” is exactly what my point was. I also never said it is “always” a compliment, I said that the word is defined as a compliment, and that we should not ban it’s use simply because some ignorant people in history tried to misuse it to degrade others. I mean, that is literally what I wrote up above.

I’m done arguing this.

Well I kind of know Scuzz. I took it differently, more along the lines of artists are not always good and describing their vision and art, and apparently he was and she wasn’t. I can see how it could be taken the other way but Scuzz hits this area,. all the time, like seriously all the time. I just got familiar enough where I am not making the same assumptions as someone who probably doesn’t know him he does.

If he walked into an art gallery and said something like that one and only black artist sure it articulate, it would come off very badly.

It is a term of respect no matter what the color of the skin of the person whom I am describing, and to insinuate otherwise is the worst form of racism.

Communication is two ways, not one.

I have a problem with people taking what are innocent words and turning them into racist statements, and in doing so assuming everyone knows it. The world is larger than liberal word smiths think it is I guess. Much of America doesn’t live in the broad world described by the dog whistlers.

Having said that I don’t deny the existence and use some phrases, but damn, not everything is two sided conspiracy laden secret word stuff for people who think the same way.

Can’t tell if serious given source. I like and respect you Nesrie, but sometimes communicating with you is like talking into the wind.

Also, while @Scuzz may be responsible for the downfall of Western Civilization given his status as a Boomer, I feel completely confident in saying he was in no way being anything but respectful with his comments in regards to Kehinde Wiley (the artist).

I am going to say this once, and I want you to hear me. I am not a liberal because I woke-up one day and decided I need the world to be a warm fuzzy place. I am liberal because I am not white, and I got tired of being treated like shit by the other team. Much of America, includes other races, and asking you to try and have some awareness is a small ask compared to what it’s like being on the other side of that. It really is. I know there is no amount of me telling you that that will change your mind, but I’m telling you right now do not go into a room full of people and point to the only black person in the room and mention how articulate they are. Don’t do it.

You can get really pissed off at that or just try to absorb it. It’s a reality, and the black person in the room didn’t create that reality. It’s not our fault. It’s not your fault, but it’s where we’re at today. And the way things are going, it’s not going to improve any time soon.

Now like I already said, ,I didn’t take your remark here in that context… I took your remark to be more about the profession than the race. But that required some effort and previous knowledge about you. Not everyone has that.

Is that what that was, respect?

Nesrie, I understand you tend to take these type discussions personally, and I know why, but please understand that disagreeing with you isn’t meant as a personal attack on either you or your race.

Wait… dog whistling? In a reply to a female member of our community? Now you’re just making a misogynist insult! I know what you really meant to say.

Fucking baby boomers, man.

Hey, I am really 16 and live in my mom’s basement.

Let me ask you a question. For a while, Colin Powell was one of the feature speakers in some leadership speaker day, featuring other motivational speakers. I suspect most of you in big cities have heard advertising for it. Many years ago I attended, Colin was either the only or one of two African-American speakers. After the conference, I remarked how in room of great speakers, Colin was the most articulate.

What the hell should I have said?