Fox News thread of fine journalism

Welcome to my world right now. Ohio’s Governorship is up for grabs this November as Kasich’s term limit is up. The Republican primary is coming up soon, and both Mary Taylor (current Lt. Gov.) and Mike DeWine (Ohio’s AG and former Senator) are on the bill. They’re spent the entire time attacking each other both in live appearances and in TV/radio/internet ads over who was more chummy with Hillary and Obama. Not who is best for Ohio, not “here’s what I plan to do for the state”, but literally “OMFG my opponent actually shook hands with Hillary in 2014!!”.

It’s like the GOP is still living in 2016. Hillary is Satan, and if you so much as spoke to Satan during your tenure as a government official you’re forever tainted. It’s fucking insane, and it comes across as such in every commercial. They’re not even the worst though, as there was a candidate, a state legislator, who withdrew, whose entire campaign consisted of ads proclaiming “I love Trump! He’s doing a hell of a job and sticking it to those Washington bastards! I’m a businessman just like Trump, and just like Trump I don’t take shit from anyone!” Seriously, this was the exact recorded message I got on my home phone one evening. The GOP has gone insane.

I’m a mailman in northeast Ohio. I won’t say what town I work in, but it’s very pro-Trump. In the last week or two I’ve delivered a lot of political ads, mostly Republican, that put Trump front and center. Things like, “Do you still support President Trump. So do I,” and “We’re gonna help the president build that wall.” There’s a good amount of, “I’m also a political outsider like Trump,” thrown in for good measure. Also still seeing fun ads about how Sharia law is being taught in school (give money and we’ll stop it).

I haven’t seen much of anything from the Democrats and what I have seen does not criticize him much.

Also, disclaimer that I’m not reading people’s mail. This stuff is front and center and hard to miss.

How can they even make that claim? Is it just a class looking at different world religions? I think my high school had an elective class on comparative religions. What is wrong with something like that? This kind of thing is so disheartening.

From what I can tell by looking at the outside of the envelope they’re just lying about it. I see slightly different examples of this sort of thing but it usually has a picture of a grade school classroom on it. One said something about children being taught that Allah is the only god. It’s illegal for me to take pictures so I have to go from memory. The stuff that I see is written in very large print on the outside of the envelope*. No idea what’s inside but maybe that info is available somewhere online.

I saw similar things when the Planned Parenthood videos stuff came out trying to piggyback on that mess. I don’t normally look at where it came from but it usually doesn’t appear to be official Republican mailings. My guess is that third parties are running this stuff as a scam. It’s pretty easy to say that your donation helped stop something that was never happening (or going to happen) in the first place. It’s all legal as far as I know.

• I don’t read or snoop through mail. Honestly I don’t have the time even if I wanted to. What I get are quick impressions and bits of text as I sort through a stack of letters. Often I see the same mailer several times a day and get different parts of it over the course of a few hours.

One said something about children being taught that Allah is the only god.

Strictly speaking, isn’t Allah Yahweh?

My understanding is that it’s all based on the same foundation.

I’m thinking they were probably using this controversy from 2015 as a moneymaking scheme.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/education/wp/2015/12/17/furor-over-arabic-assignment-leads-virginia-school-district-to-close-friday/?utm_term=.b3d1391b7ba0

Also in northeast Ohio though I don’t think it’s the same city as @JDSIDD as it isn’t particularly pro-Trump and a Democrat was just re-elected mayor. Haven’t got any of these mailers yet this year but in the past they were pure delusional, fearmongering bullshit.

This is the exact same belief that Christians and Jews have.
I mean, not even just that they are all monotheistic… they all literally believe that the SAME dude upstairs is the only God.

Allah literally just means “God”.

Also this:

Yeah, why didn’t anyone bring up Clinton’s husband during the election? Cause that’s definitely a thing that didn’t happen!

Truth is dead! Long live truth!

Yes, those mailers are complete bullshit and they do not come from the actual GOP, but from third parties that solicit “donations” to their PACs to fight what they consider anti-Christian values in America. Including, apparently, teaching Arabic Numerals, otherwise known as Sharia Math, in public schools. 2+2=Godless Heathen Terrorists!

The Islamic creed that asserts Allah is the only God – part of the shahada – directly refutes the divinity of Christ, which is a fundamental tenet of Christianity. Ironically, Islam and Judaism have a much more comfortable theological relationship.

-Tom

While it would give me great joy to see every one of these Fox News motherfuckers go down in flames, ten more will spring up to replace each one. As long as there’s an audience to eat this shit up, the product will keep getting made.

They’re ultimately selfish people. If you make the price high enough, like bring them down low enough, there will be less people in line behind them.

Right now, this group thinks they are untouchable.

The Fall of Hannity would be one of the most benevolent things to come out of this administration, by far.

Tom knows a bit more about it than me, so see his answer. I would add that the mailers I was talking about are making a claim that children are being “indoctrinated” into Islam in public schools. To be fair, doing so is illegal even if they were being indoctrinated with Christian or Jewish beliefs.

What I was talking about was seeing mailers designed to scare old people into thinking that Islam is infiltrating America through public schools. Mostly I think it’s a scam to separate bigots from their money.

Probably true, but I would still love to see Sean Hannity thrown to the wolves. Let Fox News choose a replacement and leave Hannity to his radio show.

Agreed.